Twin Famicom and the everchanging error code

Started by TheTword, September 08, 2021, 03:18:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTword

hi guys

right, I took the plunge last month and bought a Sharp TwinFamicom. I then waited for a power supply and won myself a Zelda 2 disk.

I've tested the system and got error 22, which I checked against the error list you guys have (and thank god someone made that list) and realised it could be an issue with the reader. after some fiddling i got errors, 20, 27,

I've adjusted the screw to just about its max and had no joy, but then after taking apart the little plastic caddy that holds the disk in place, popping the disk on the reader and applying a little bit of force on the disk in the top left and top right corners the game fired straight up. (after an a,b side error)

Any idea's on what exactly I should be fixing? I feel like the little plastic caddy that the game goes in may be the culprit, but I've never messed about with a Twin Famicom before and don't want to ruin it. 

Love the forum btw, I stumbled across you lot after some googling. its great to see such a presence for an obscure system  ;D

P

I haven't fiddled with the FDS insides a lot myself, so I'm not really the right person to answer. But I have seen many cases of people having trouble and how they fixed it over the years and I think all those disk trouble errors (especially 20 to 27) seem very unreliable. They are unpredictable and basically only tells you that it's something wrong with the disk or the drive or both. If you have several disks and none work, you can conclude its the drive and you may need to fiddle more with it (but make sure to follow reliable guides out there). It's a very common problem after replacing the belt.

If some disks works, you can conclude that the non-working disks are bad ones and the drive shouldn't be fiddled with.

In other word you may want to get a few more disks for testing.