Famicom Web Stores for Boxed Games

Started by DreamTR, August 01, 2021, 01:27:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DreamTR

Anyone have a good link / source to purchased boxed Famicom games vs Yahoo Japan?

portnoyd

August 01, 2021, 03:24:11 pm #1 Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 06:10:16 pm by portnoyd
Checks username

Hi. Want to sell those other 3 binders? $1k each?

Unfortunately you're a little late to the Famicom boat since Covid/April 2021 shipping change to Japanpost killed the comically low shipping deal Japan was sponging off of from China. However, Japan4U still works if you buy a lot at one time. I speak from experience.

https://www.j4u.co.jp/collections/nes-famicom-boxed-games?_=pf&pf_st_stock_status=true

The way J4U works is they always start the prices way high and they drop them by a percentage every day. You are essentially playing chicken with all of the other customers, but it's not hard to snag big deals.

https://www.suruga-ya.jp/game.html

This store is a nice option, poor site design and you would need someone to drop ship. I honestly used J4U so much that I didn't bother with really any other options. They're the best. I had an easier time and wider selection on J4U because I went strictly loose - Famicom boxes are all over the place in size and I did not want to deal with that on my shelves - but J4U still gets in a steady stock of complete FC.

All of the proxies suck in different, minor ways. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to use Yahoo Japan to be price negative vs eBay unless you're really dedicated to scooping up the best deals as the proxy fees/shipping will just put your back to where you started. I've stuck to just using proxies for accessories and other things that don't ever appear on eBay. (Like the last couple of FDS games I need).

DreamTR

Quote from: portnoyd on August 01, 2021, 03:24:11 pmChecks username

Hi. Want to sell those other 3 binders? $1k each?

Unfortunately you're a little late to the Famicom boat since Covid/April 2021 shipping change to Japanpost killed the comically low shipping deal Japan was sponging off of from China. However, Japan4U still works if you buy a lot at one time. I speak from experience.

https://www.j4u.co.jp/collections/nes-famicom-boxed-games?_=pf&pf_st_stock_status=true

The way J4U works is they always start the prices way high and they drop them by a percentage every day. You are essentially playing chicken with all of the other customers, but it's not hard to snag big deals.

https://www.suruga-ya.jp/game.html

This store is a nice option, poor site design and you would need someone to drop ship. I honestly used J4U so much that I didn't bother with really any other options. They're the best. I had an easier time and wider selection on J4U because I went strictly loose - Famicom boxes are all over the place in size and I did not want to deal with that on my shelves - but J4U still gets in a steady stock of complete FC.

All of the proxies suck in different, minor ways. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to use Yahoo Japan to be price negative vs eBay unless you're really dedicated to scooping up the best deals as the proxy fees/shipping will just put your back to where you started. I've stuck to just using proxies for accessories and other things that don't ever appear on eBay. (Like the last couple of FDS games I need).

Thanks portnoyd, I will check them out. Hope all is well with you. I've been getting stuff from Japan for awhile from Yahoo auctions and it was really cheap and got here in like 2 seconds with Fedex rates so low, but Japan Post combos with auctions are still pretty low.

Those binders you know are worth a hell of a lot more than that these days, hahahah..

Everything I pull out of my collection seems to sell at fantasy prices for some reason.

portnoyd

Quote from: DreamTR on August 09, 2021, 12:00:52 pmThanks portnoyd, I will check them out. Hope all is well with you. I've been getting stuff from Japan for awhile from Yahoo auctions and it was really cheap and got here in like 2 seconds with Fedex rates so low, but Japan Post combos with auctions are still pretty low.

Those binders you know are worth a hell of a lot more than that these days, hahahah..

Everything I pull out of my collection seems to sell at fantasy prices for some reason.

Because everything is fantasy now. It's ludicrous. I sell something for a price 2x from last year and a month later, it's up even more (literally... sold a copy of Cubivore (horrid game) for $600 in March... when it was $300 a year ago.... and then another copy sold two weeks later for $700). I think it's bitcoin millionaires, I don't even know anymore and I kind of don't want to. I'm so ahead of the game value-wise vs what I paid over the years that I have solace in that but fuuuuuuuck buying anything anymore. I'm ok with never owning the first Fun Club newsletter because that piece of paper is $1k itself.

Funny thing is, I've been meaning to contact you for no joke, the past few years with that offer. Back then, it would have been reasonable lol. Plus, I just had no way to contact you with NA dead and I couldn't be bothered to sign up anywhere and it wasn't exactly a priority either. Can't really blow more than that offer, not to mention it'd be 3x what I've paid for anything collecting-wise so... that's what it stayed at.

Yeah that's the one good thing about being forced into FedEx as it gets here lightning quick... just you like me are looking for deals and only deals. Unlike this new breed of collectors who will blindly pay more than asking. I don't know how much you are watching but it's nuts. That stack of gold NWCs you had would literally buy you a yacht. The shit I sold 10 years ago would pay off half my mortgage. I mean, we both made out like bandits at the time but... wow.

I asked a friend of mine with a buyer in Japan if he has any other sites that he uses... will report back in if anything new.

Btw I pulled a you and moved cross country and am in Vegas now. NJ blows. Hope all is well with the family and I'm sure we'll bump into each other sooner or later again.

P

Yeah it's another retro boom now, it's better to sell than to buy at the moment. That said I recently made some good finds, like an original Gamecube component cable. The GCVideo seems to have made the original cables a bit cheaper, especially the d-terminal variant.

fcgamer

My dream is that some of these new crazy collectors will contact me and buy my collection in one fell swoop for millions. One can dream, I guess, though I think the value definitely is in that ballpark.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

portnoyd

Quote from: fcgamer on August 12, 2021, 06:48:07 pmMy dream is that some of these new crazy collectors will contact me and buy my collection in one fell swoop for millions. One can dream, I guess, though I think the value definitely is in that ballpark.

I'm curious to see what's in your collection that could net millions. I have a NES and Genesis set, all complete, over 4,000 games total, assorted highly desirable things (several hundred $100+ games if Gameye is to be believed) and half a million from one of the idiot speculators feels like ripping them off. If I could get a million right now, it'd go, immediately. I know you are big into Famicom boots but not what you have beyond that.

fcgamer

I haven't calculated how many games I have by now, but I have around 8000+ games, ranging across basically every Japanese console from the Sega Mark forward. At that point it sort of becomes a numbers game, I've got about 40% of a licensed Japanese Sega MD set, all CIB, even the Famicom unlicensed originals I have about 90-95% I'd guess, the vast majority boxed.

A complete Famicom set (only about 10% boxed), a bootleg Famicom set (likely almost complete), etc.

That's not even getting into a few gambling machines, or even the stuff like the Sega protos I've got, or any of the really rare stuff. You come over here sometime, I'll gladly give you a tour. :)

I was really lucky, basically found the majority of this stuff cheap, way before the retro boom came here.

A million might be a stretch, but 7-800k definitely seems realistic.

Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

portnoyd

You're in Taiwan now, right? Thailand? Asiaville starts with a T? I'd love to come by but I doubt I'll ever leave the US again.

I can imagine being able to soak up stuff that got shipped over from Japan and languished for decades. If I was over there, I'd do the same exact thing. To be fair, we all really got in cheap. I don't think anyone foresaw the insanity over the past year. I can't imagine getting in now.

Yeah, I admit I had no idea what you have because lol being sociable with other collectors. This here is really the extent of it publicly. Only thing I ever picked up you being all over was Famicom boots.

That is some hot shit though. I do hope it gets the attention it deserves. I know NA wrecked interest in unlicensed US games, I am sure that is double for unlicensed/bootleg Famicom. I can't imagine trying to sort through all the boots... I see your sale pages and my eyes glaze over.

I ended up getting ass deep in Famicom and petered out because of all the language barrier games. It's one thing to open a box and have a bunch of games to play; it's another to open it and it goes right on the shelf. Then the cheap shipping went away and I basically stopped last year.

If you ever find a buyer for your stuff that wants a nice US focused collection to compliment yours that they're buying, let me know asap lol. If they have close to a million to blow, they probably have two million.

Look at this, turning into a dinosaurs of NES collecting reunion thread. We've been at this a long time, huh? Now we just need Dain to show up with gold chains and a diamond crusted crunk cup, throwing out $100s like he wipes his ass with them and then NES-God comes out of the woodwork, still on the farm, sleazing NES protos. Good times.

DreamTR

Quote from: portnoyd on August 09, 2021, 05:01:54 pm
Quote from: DreamTR on August 09, 2021, 12:00:52 pmThanks portnoyd, I will check them out. Hope all is well with you. I've been getting stuff from Japan for awhile from Yahoo auctions and it was really cheap and got here in like 2 seconds with Fedex rates so low, but Japan Post combos with auctions are still pretty low.

Because everything is fantasy now. It's ludicrous. I sell something for a price 2x from last year and a month later, it's up even more (literally... sold a copy of Cubivore (horrid game) for $600 in March... when it was $300 a year ago.... and then another copy sold two weeks later for $700). I think it's bitcoin millionaires, I don't even know anymore and I kind of don't want to. I'm so ahead of the game value-wise vs what I paid over the years that I have solace in that but fuuuuuuuck buying anything anymore. I'm ok with never owning the first Fun Club newsletter because that piece of paper is $1k itself.

Funny thing is, I've been meaning to contact you for no joke, the past few years with that offer. Back then, it would have been reasonable lol. Plus, I just had no way to contact you with NA dead and I couldn't be bothered to sign up anywhere and it wasn't exactly a priority either. Can't really blow more than that offer, not to mention it'd be 3x what I've paid for anything collecting-wise so... that's what it stayed at.

Yeah that's the one good thing about being forced into FedEx as it gets here lightning quick... just you like me are looking for deals and only deals. Unlike this new breed of collectors who will blindly pay more than asking. I don't know how much you are watching but it's nuts. That stack of gold NWCs you had would literally buy you a yacht. The shit I sold 10 years ago would pay off half my mortgage. I mean, we both made out like bandits at the time but... wow.

I asked a friend of mine with a buyer in Japan if he has any other sites that he uses... will report back in if anything new.

Btw I pulled a you and moved cross country and am in Vegas now. NJ blows. Hope all is well with the family and I'm sure we'll bump into each other sooner or later again.

Vegas eh? My birthtown. Lol. Hope all is well with your family too.

And yes keep me posted on Japanese stuff.

NWCs I still say I did exceptional on having "less" of them right now. If i had numerous gold ones there would not be as many buyers with one person hoarding them. They had to be separated. The 7 gold I had and 5 gray were sold and resold back to me multiple times that I kept making money on them. Sold TWO for six figures. Insane. Don't even care if that is a public post and people don't believe it but it doesn't affect me any.

And yes, new collectors will pay anything. The key is still getting in on stuff that is underappreciated and slept on. I got into pinball machines when people were laughing at them, and sub genres of Bally 80s ones when people laughed at those. Right now I think boxed gaming systems are slept on even with values seeming high. Japanese stuff is heavily slept on but it's catching up now. Boxed Mario for Famicom is creeping. More and more new collectors wanting unopened stuff and the Famicom camera stores are laughing all the way to the bank with all that back stock.

You aren't wrong on the bitcoin millionaires. THere are so many people that now don't need to work or don't want to work or work from home only or went sealed collecting graded nuts that I can't even imagine at this point about anything.