Small fix for diagonal movement on org controllers

Started by jedvard, August 04, 2021, 03:20:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jedvard

Had problems with diagonal presses on the controllers on my original famicom (would only work i 4ways U,D,L,R).
In games like gradius, gun smoke etc it ruined the gameplay not being able to move diagonally in a proper way.
I discovered that the problem was that the small knob on the backside of the d-pad was just a little to tall for the gamepad to work properly. So i decided to try out some (in my case 3 layers) silver duct tape around the edges and it worked miracles.
Maybe this is a known fix? but anyway decided to share if someone else has the same problem :)

https://i.ibb.co/Pc3gWWy/styrkors-liten.jpg

P

Not a known fix as original controllers don't have this problem. What controller was it?

The Switch has problems with diagonals being too sensitive on the Controller Pro (and some are worse than others), but d-pads on Famicom and NES controllers have always been of top quality. They are not ideal for shooting and fighting games though, you may want an arcade stick for those.

jedvard

It is the original controller nr1? I'v had the same problem with original nes controller in the past maybe it has to do with worn out contacts? I had to press really hard diagonal and still it couldent move in a straight diagonal direction. The rubber in the controller is original and in good shape?
Maybe im just unlucky with controllers😂 Anyway the duct tape fixed this controller so im happy and hopefully i never have to do it on future controllers😁

P

The rubber membranes wears out, I had problem with my old PAL SNES controllers wearing out on the START and SELECT buttons which makes pressing them not work most of the time (which makes you want to press really hard). But in that case I'm not sure why diagonals wouldn't work. A d-pad is really like a 4-/8-way joystick, it just has 4 switches and diagonals happens whenever any two adjacent switches are being engaged at the same time.

But in your case it sounded like the d-pad pivot ball is too tall. Maybe the d-pad button cap isn't original?
It's a nice fix anyway, hopefully it will last.