How to stop a Famicom from yellowing?

Started by moetzmoet, June 10, 2022, 02:49:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

moetzmoet

I recently purchased a Famicom that is on its way now. The item's description says there it slight yellowing (apparently very slight because it looked as white as an eggshell in the pictures).

Anyways, how can I keep my Famicom from yellowing a lot?

I've done some looking around, and apparently I should try to keep it away from sunlight, but that's not really that possible considering that every room in my house with a TV has some huge window.

Are there any other precautions that I could take?

Stephen

A lot of people in the vintage computer community (e.g., Macintosh, Atari, etc) swear by this UV product, "303 Aerospace Protectant Spray" (Amazon).

I have a bottle of it myself but haven't used it enough to give any personal feedback.

Armageddon64

June 12, 2022, 07:15:40 am #2 Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 02:44:38 pm by Armageddon64
Ideally, you need to "create" a dark room to play, to preserve your consoles from the light.

If your consoles are already yellowed, you can do a Retrobright, but the yellowing will appear again, in worst, several years later.

poodude

I use Aerospace 303 on all of my consoles. They have never yellowed since. I suggest Retrobriting them first before you coat in 303 to get it as white as possible first. Once its coated with 303 you can't use uv to whiten the console anymore.