What the hell is Yume Koujou: Doki Doki Panic's "PLAYER CHANGE"?

Started by adori_12, January 27, 2023, 12:38:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

adori_12

This game has been talked about to death, but something nobody seems to mention is the "PLAYER CHANGE" that appears at the character select screen. What does it mean? I've never seen it display anything other than "?", no matter if you haven't played any world, if you beat the game with one, two, three or all characters, or any combination, it never changes. The manual doesn't mention it either. Such a minor thing that doesn't affect the game, but it bothers me that there's no apparent reason for it to exist.

De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

Skawo

Uh, what?
That's just the game asking you "Do you want to change your character?" in dodgy english.

adori_12

Well it has an extra space at the "?" so it looks like it's a value you can change instead of a question. You can't blame me for such an odd way to ask a question for a player.
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

Jedi Master Baiter

I used to always think Mama had a headstart by default because for the longest time the only dump of this game I could find started her on Chapter 2-1. I was so dumb. :crazy:

As for the subject, it looks like it would have made more sense to switch the
PUSH START - NEXT
text with the
PLAYER CHANGE ?
text so that you know you're at the
PLAYER CHANGE ?
screen rather than the
PUSH START TO GO TO THE NEXT PAGE
screen.

adori_12

Lol it would be weird if for no apparent reason Mama had Chapter 1 cleared in the actual game, but if that's the only dump you could find then it's understandable. If only the game had a file delete function, dumping it would have been easier back in the early days (and you could see the single character endings more than once).

Exactly! Think about it: You first select your character, then you push start to go to the game. So why "PUSH START" gets the priority? In fact that's exactly what SMB2 did, "PLEASE SELECT PLAYER" appears at the top because that's the screen you're at. :)

Jedi Master Baiter

Quote from: adori_12 on January 27, 2023, 12:38:01 am
Something seems off about this image. On my end, there's always a running figure over the chapter box of the player that's highlighted. Here, no one is highlighted. Is this a mockup?

adori_12

Yeah I suppose it's edited to better highlight the player select screen, in-game the running figure symbol is always present and the character faces have a blinking light on them (only the one you're choosing). I didn't make the image, I just found it on the Internet to illustrate the main topic.

P

I don't remember that you could change characters in this game except in the beginning?

Yeah the only dump found for a long time had saved data with Mama having cleared the first stage. It was very annoying as I had no idea how to erase it. Now we have dumps without the save data and if you want to clear the save data with a hex editor we have this.

Jedi Master Baiter

January 31, 2023, 11:01:16 pm #8 Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 11:07:01 pm by Jedi Master Baiter
Quote from: P on January 29, 2023, 09:30:16 amNow we have dumps without the save data and if you want to clear the save data with a hex editor we have this.
What does he mean when he states "last file?" Does he mean Side B?

Quote from: undefinedZero out first four bytes in last file
I only have a .FDS image. Where do I find the offset?

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I found it.

P

Just for the record FDS disk cards has a file system and you can use a program like FDS explorer in order to view the files and edit the bytes.