Check out Famidaily!

Started by adori_12, August 09, 2022, 03:03:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

adori_12

I've been following this project for a while, and given nobody here has mentioned it yet it's up to me.

A YouTube user named RndStranger is currently doing Famidaily, which is, to review every single Famicom cartridge commercially released! :o  Hundreds of Famicom games have never been talked about in English (and some are tough to find information about even in Japanese), and this is doing wonders for the community. He talks about the games, how to play, opinions on Japanese sources about it, fun facts about the development and/or publishing, and historical significance on games that have it.

I discovered some great games and learnt about some that I couldn't find a thing online, and my way to thank him is by sharing his project here. He uploads on a daily basis as the name suggests, so you'll have tons of content to watch.

Go check it out! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1sb8k4ZPagagqXy965qb50LMbUS4hKXP

Hope I'm not talking about someone super well known and I was the only dork who didn't know about this
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

P

Wow that's a lot of reviews! This is great, as you say there are so many games without a lot of information in English (or any language) that can be found on the internet, and reviews like these are very good information. In most cases I'm glad just to find a gameplay video with no commentary or a longplay (which are good pieces of documentation of games on their own though), so this is great.

Considering the Famicom was such a huge success there are a lot of ports for it. Often when I check out old 8-bit games I haven't played (or sometimes I have played) and go to Wikipedia or somewhere to see if it has been ported to any system that I own, it's quite often I'm surprised to see that there was a Famicom port of it that I didn't know about.

adori_12

Quote from: P on August 09, 2022, 03:18:50 pmWow that's a lot of reviews! This is great, as you say there are so many games without a lot of information in English (or any language) that can be found on the internet, and reviews like these are very good information. In most cases I'm glad just to find a gameplay video with no commentary or a longplay (which are good pieces of documentation of games on their own though), so this is great.
Yes! Videos are good on their own but sometimes they are either super short or don't show the game properly because whoever is playing them doesn't know what to do. That specifically happened to me with Touhou Kenbun Roku, I wanted a video to learn what the game is about, and I could only find short clips.

Quote from: P on August 09, 2022, 03:18:50 pmConsidering the Famicom was such a huge success there are a lot of ports for it. Often when I check out old 8-bit games I haven't played (or sometimes I have played) and go to Wikipedia or somewhere to see if it has been ported to any system that I own, it's quite often I'm surprised to see that there was a Famicom port of it that I didn't know about.
I'm also amazed by that, games that were more popular in the States, games with a radically different version for the Famicom, arcade games that have been forgotten, it's all in the library.
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

UglyJoe

I've been watching (almost) daily for a few months.  It's been especially funny recently with all of the baseball games from the end of 1989.

Bro3256

Glad I am not the only one whose been watching, the moment I found this series, I binged every avaliable episode and I've been watching daily since. I do hope they consider covering Disk System games in the future.

Ghegs

I don't know how I missed this topic, I only found Famidaily just now when I was trying to find a video on Youtube of a more obscure title, and here's this guy talking about it pretty in-depth. And then to discover he's going to a video of every single Famicom game? After looking through a handful of them, he keeps the quality up, too. Very impressive stuff.

adori_12

Came back here because Famidaily officially ended today, with Takahashi Meijin no Bouken Jima IV. It's been such a fun ride and I'm amazed he managed to finish such a project. Now you have a video guide for every Famicom cart!
Fortunately it's not the end of the road yet, in 2024 he will continue on with The Year Of FDS, which will cover all Disk System games!  ;D
It will truly be the most complete Famicom guide on the Internet once he finishes that too.

Tanooki

I have been a quiet reader for a good many years, have a few friends on here too, but strangely this topic is what got me to post.

I really really have enjoyed this series and now I'm digging the work on Epoch Cassettevision and now Super Cassettevision.  I must have missed it or forgot that 2024 is the coverage of the FDS.  That's fantastic, was hoping it would happen, but almost equally so with his random attempts at things he'd dig into the massive Japanese Gameboy market as it's sadly lacking as much if not more.

He's a rare resource much like Jeremy Parish WORKS where it's not largely stolen content and coin begging, it's history, it's honesty, it's a good attempt and investigation right down to word on the street of domestic players and how they react to the titles.

Any idea where he finds his word on the street as I'd like to read more of these Japanese impressions on titles.

When this topic woke back up seeing the comments in 2023 is about when I found it too, started watching a bit, but a little after daily, and once it ended I re-wound the thing to #1 and I've been letting it rip and currently into 1990 already as I'm a work at home so I can leave it going as I do my thing.