Triple checking PSU

Started by Magicantian, April 19, 2023, 06:58:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicantian

jpx72

April 19, 2023, 09:49:26 pm #1 Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 02:57:34 am by jpx72
I dont like these webpages where you cannot see the polarity of the PSU. So hard to say if it is ok.
Also, you don't see if the output is AC or DC. How the hell should you know if this is the right PSU for you?

jpx72

April 20, 2023, 04:30:17 am #2 Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 04:36:49 am by jpx72
After all these years, I expected a clear guide on all consoles somewhere, on what PSU is for which console. Something like:
Famicom 8bit - country JP - 110V AC -> 9V DC 800mA center negative.

With such info you can get any psu you find in your nearest electronic shop. For a shitty low price.

Anyone willing to widen this list?

From top of my head:
Almost every famiclone in EUR - 230V AC -> 9V DC 800mA center negative   (which is the main reason why so many famiclones are burned out, because nearly 100% of the apliances in EUR use center positive)

schnuth

This page may be helpful listing power requirements and suggestions for good modern replacements:

https://www.firebrandx.com/triads.html

Magicantian

Thanks to everyone who replied. Luckily I didn't use the one I linked for many hours. I doubt it did any damage, at least I hope.

jpx72

Quote from: schnuth on April 20, 2023, 10:56:05 amThis page may be helpful listing power requirements and suggestions for good modern replacements:

Wow awesome site! That's the one I hoped to exist somewhere! Thanks for sharing!

jpx72

April 21, 2023, 05:41:55 am #6 Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 12:21:41 am by jpx72
Quote from: Magicantian on April 20, 2023, 11:39:07 amThanks to everyone who replied. Luckily I didn't use the one I linked for many hours. I doubt it did any damage, at least I hope.

Well if you check the website schnuth posted, AV famicom and Super Famicom have the same parameters. So the one you bought should be ok for both. But it is always better to check what is written on the psu itself before you plug it in. Compare to the info on the website. Cheers!

jpx72

schnuth

Quote from: jpx72 on April 21, 2023, 05:34:30 am
Quote from: schnuth on April 20, 2023, 10:56:05 amThis page may be helpful listing power requirements and suggestions for good modern replacements:

Wow awesome site! That's the one I hoped to exist somewhere! Thanks for sharing!
No problem! I've found this site super helpful in the past too.

Magicantian

Okay so, I linked the PSU I bought and then the one you recommended me. The one I bought from third party site gave me graphical glitches on the scorpion of R-Type III SNES.

Indifference with the one you told me about, the graphical glitch does not exist with R-Type III.

I think somehow if the voltage is too high this rom freaks out and produces a 1:1 graphical glitch that can harm the system. I am going to another run through to prove this is a good game to test on level 2 when the scorpion comes out that something can or cannot be wrong.