RAM adapter wire becoming sticky over time

Started by Salduchi, October 15, 2023, 05:45:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Salduchi

I had recently bought a couple FDS that were new and unused. Since the boxes don't come sealed I open them up to check the contents inside and with one of them I noticed that the wire on the RAM adapter is incredibly sticky like it has melted. I look online and it seems that whatever the wires on the ram adapter are made of tend to breakdown overtime. Has anyone else experienced this? Pretty disappointing because I know any dust and dirt would stick to it over time.

P

Not with my RAM-adapter but I have some controllers and other peripherals of which the outer shell of the cord has started to break down chemically making it either sticky or stiff, depending on what compound it's made of I guess.

The controller cords on Famicoms tends to get stiff due to its age. The RAM-adapter is of similar age so I'm not surprised. It shouldn't affect it's electrical functionality but as you say dust gets stuck to it and its kinda gross.

Skawo

QuoteThe controller cords on Famicoms tends to get stiff due to its age. The RAM-adapter is of similar age so I'm not surprised. It shouldn't affect it's electrical functionality but as you say dust gets stuck to it and its kinda gross.

I find that taking a wet wipe and running it along the cord makes quick work of that and even loosens the cord up a bit.