Got a Famicom!

Started by GB256, March 22, 2024, 10:20:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GB256

Today's the day where I become a Famicom Fan. (As you can tell, because I just made this account not too long ago.)

I just won 2 Buyee Auctions, one for a Sharp Twin Famicom, and another for Super Mario Bros 3 on FC.
You cannot see attachments on this board.

I also got another one cooking for Lost Levels on Disk, but that doesn't end until Sunday morning for me (Please no one snipe it.)

I do hope that the system is at least in some working condition, especially the disk part of it, the listing said the it was untested, so I'll probably just have to hope for the best. Worst case scenario is that it'll have to go through some repairs.

I'll provide updates as time goes on, mainly regarding shipping progress, and testing once it's in my hands.

See ya soon. - GB :diskkun:

UglyJoe

Best of luck!

Unfortunately, the disk drive is the most likely part of it to be broken, but it could just need a new belt or something, or maybe it will just work ;D

Famicom.In.My.Blood

You enter the Famicom world with what is, in my opinion, the best version, the Twin Famicom ! Congratulations

Indeed, the FDS' belt will probably need to be changed, and I also advise you to make a full capkit if you can, all consoles of this age need it.
Also, check audio. Some Twin Famicom, especially the red ones, have sound issue, with a sort of buzzing, but a simple mod can correct this

For image, it's up to you to see if you prefer the original Composite for more authentic sensations, or NESRGB mod for optimal image quality. Personally, I'm a purist, and I wondered for a long time whether I should do RGB mod on it, before finally doing it.
About audio, there is also a stereo mod, but I don't recommend it, because even if it can give an improvement on certain games, the majority will sound worse in my opinion. Or you will have to put a switch to be able to return to original mono sound whenever you want, but I'm not a fan of switchs, because I prefer to leave the console aesthetically intact

Oh, and also, for controller, those of Twin Famicom, like on original Famicom, are very good, but "glued" to the console, with a very short wire, so opt for an officially licensed controller plugging into extension port is a very good thing, as there are only a handful of games that don't support it.
I launched a topic about that with great responses, if you're interested : https://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=15515.0

GB256

Well, I couldn't win the exact auction for Lost Levels, but I did find another one that was ending around the same time and won that, so it's all good!

I probably won't mod anything on the console like RGB, unless if it's something I absolutely have to fix, like the disk drive and its belt. I think I do have the materials needed to clean and fix the disk drive just lying around, aside from the belt.

Things are great so far, just have to wait for everything to arrive at their warehouse.

- GB  :diskkun:

portnoyd

Awesome. We could give you suggestions for it but the volume of suggestions would send you on the path to bankruptcy. But if you want some, we'll be happy to suggest a few dozen games.

GB256

checks buyee

Hmmmm, games haven't arrived at their warehouse yet...oh, but the Twin Famicom did!

Wonder if it's basically ready to be shi-

Skawo

GB256

It's been like this for a few days, the Twin Famicom and SMB3 cartridge showed up at their warehouse in like...2 days.

Famicom Disks are too powerful.

Jedi Master Baiter

What shipping method are you using? Is Airmail still an option? Last time I used Buyee I had to choose either Lightspeed delivery or Death Stranding.

adori_12

Quote from: GB256 on March 24, 2024, 09:41:15 pmchecks buyee

Hmmmm, games haven't arrived at their warehouse yet...oh, but the Twin Famicom did!

Wonder if it's basically ready to be shi-

Yeah that's why I don't like Buyee or any proxy service for that matter. You simply can't know how much they're going to charge you for shipping until they have your package with them and can't return it (if you don't claim in two weeks or so they will destroy it).
The money you're saving in the product you'll spend in shipping (and probably even more than what you would've spent on eBay anyway). It's only worth it for things that are simply too rare to pop up on eBay or stuff that even with a shipping fee twice the price of the product is still a deal. Thank god I had a 50% off shipping coupon when I ordered something there, otherwise I would have told them to destroy my package or whatever.
Check their webpage or their Discord server and see if they're giving away any coupons that might help you out.
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

portnoyd

Imo in the future, use FromJapan. I used buyee once I hated it.

GB256

Package consolidation is being worked on, should get a new shipping fee soon.
Also got some coupons for it.

adori_12

Nice! I hope you get a better deal on those.  :)
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

GB256

Shipping fee was more reasonable with a good shipping method and coupons.

It begins.

GB256

While I'm waiting, I guess we could chat on any technical details about setting it up and seeing if I have to clean or repair anything.

Is it perfectly ok to plug a power supply from Japan into an outlet from the US?
I do NOT want to fry the thing from lack of knowledge of this kind of stuff.