Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 19, 2018, 02:53:11 AM
Home Famicom World Search Calendar Login Register

+  Famicom World
|-+  Family Computer
| |-+  Famicom / Disk System (Moderators: manuel, L___E___T)
| | |-+  What got you into famicom?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Print
Author Topic: What got you into famicom?  (Read 151921 times)
Kamen_Rider_85
Famiclone
United States United States

« Reply #165 on: June 24, 2017, 02:30:48 AM »

Two years ago I acquired a Famicom A/V system in really nice shape.   Wink  I knew that several games I wanted to try out included ones that had no official NES release.  In particular I wanted to try out Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti (スプラッターハウス わんぱくグラフィティ), Ninja JaJaMaru-kun (忍者じゃじゃ丸くん), and Yōkai Club (妖怪倶楽部).  I really enjoyed those games, so I decided to pick up a few titles that also made it to the NES.  These included Super Mario Bros, Wrecking Crew, and Ghosts'n Goblins (Makaimura). 

After playing these games, and looking up current game prices, I realized that in a lot of instances buying the Famicom version of a game seems to be a lot cheaper than their NES counterparts.  In some instances Famicom game content is even better; sound, graphic, or censorship wise.  The NES will always have a special place in my heart as my childhood game console, but right now I don't own one.

I really love my Famicom A/V.  It is my go to classic Nintendo system now.  I prefer to play the Famicom version of games, and if I encounter a NES only release I have a decent converter that I can utilize to plug it into my Famicom A/V.  I seem to have one of the good consoles, because the sound and video quality is significantly better than what I have experienced with the NES.   Cool  I also enjoy the discovery factor with Famicom related material and releases that aren't from my NES memories, but are still imbued with past innovations.   Disk-kun 
rot
Famiclone
Finland Finland

1 9 8 8

« Reply #166 on: November 11, 2017, 11:18:43 AM »

Years ago I wanted to replace my PAL collection with NTSC and the choice between JP and US was pretty easy to make. Unaltered (often better) versions in compact form with more appealing artwork, wider selection, better sound, cheaper importing etc... not to forget the microphone!

<3 Red FC Cart <3
Salduchi
Famicom

« Reply #167 on: November 11, 2017, 11:42:45 PM »

To be honest, Japanese Super Mario Bros 2 back in the year 1998 when Mario Deluxe came out for the GBC. Wanted more info about the original and that led me to the Famicom.
Bry89
Famicom
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #168 on: December 01, 2017, 05:04:16 PM »

I first knew about it when I had a Famiclone called the Power Joy II, that I had for Christmas in 2001 and I remember that it came with its own cartridge of these x-in-1 games, and one of them was Twin Bee which I remembered very clearly, and was a lot of fun. However, I didn't really get into it until two years later where I got an odd 108-in-1 cart for the GBA, where several NES games were squished into it and do remember playing some classics on it, from Bomberman to Ice Climber.

And, the rest is history. Long live the Famicom Smiley

>>The Lightweb... join us, for a bit of friendly banter, and random nonsense.
SirCandle
Famiclone

Apparently, I'm decent at games.

« Reply #169 on: December 05, 2017, 11:35:34 PM »

Well, I think I knew about the Famicom for a while, but once I started watching Vinesauce Joel do his NES/Famicom Madness and bootleg streams, it made me so much more aware of how much was kept locked up in the Land of the Rising Sun.

Soon enough, I saw just how good those games were. And through a bit more digging, I saw how many stupidly expensive NES games were affordable on the Famicom. At that point, it just snowballed and now I'm REALLY hoping to get one in the near future.

Gotta love that wacky Famicom.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 08:04:37 PM by SirCandle » Logged

Trackballs make everything WAY more intense than you'd think.
togemet2
Disk System
Netherlands Netherlands

HVC-001

« Reply #170 on: March 15, 2018, 08:43:25 AM »

Aah. Tough one. Let's see...Probably because the games are cheaper than the PAL variants. That combined with the way better look and feel of the Famicom. Ever since I got one, I've been in love with it.
xIceMan
AV Famicom

« Reply #171 on: March 15, 2018, 09:13:53 AM »

I like the carts, the art and the console. It's smaller than our PAL monster and Famicom has some nice exclusive titles, too.
Also being cheaper than PAL, yep.
ChloeTigre
Famiclone
France France

« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2018, 05:11:47 PM »

I was a SNES then NES person then got obsessed about picture quality and in France we only had the pseudo-AV-OUT version of the NES.

So I researched way to get a better picture for the NES games and saw that a Twin Famicom would be good for this.

The Twin being a little bulky, I started to research more and decided to buy a Famicom so I could enjoy the games on the original hardware they were intended to run on.

Happened that when I saw it I completely fell in love with the design. Itís small, elegant, well-thought, much better than the VCR-style NES we have (never had top-loaders in Europe). Now I buy them boxed when I find them (nakameshiís store on eBay is neat for that), tested or untested. I try to restore their plastic to its nice original color and keep or sell them to video game addicts.

Iím crazy with the elegance of the Famicom.

-- Chloť - @chloetigrerouge
English Invader
Famiclone

« Reply #173 on: April 12, 2018, 12:25:46 AM »

An N64 style Chinese Famiclone that was up for grabs at my local Cash Converters for £12.  It came with the lightgun, two controllers and an 84-in-1 cart with mostly old school arcade fare like Dig Dug and Galaga.  My favourite games on the cart are Route 16: Turbo, Arkanoid and Devil World.

I've since added several other multi-carts and a few individual games (Mario Bros, Route 16, Baseball Stars and a Chinese repro of Splatterhouse (the latter two were only recently ordered and are still on their way)).  The next thing on my hit list is an Everdrive N8.  I don't know for sure if my Famiclone will run it but it's handled everything I've thrown at it so far (apart from being a bit crash prone with NES games through an adapter).

I want to get an NTSC console at some point so I can run the games properly but I'm not really sure how to go about it.  The SNES was so much easier in that regard; £20 Super Famicom, old Mega Drive PSU I had lying around, csync RGB-Scart cable, job done. 
JohnnyPhantom
Famiclone

« Reply #174 on: April 18, 2018, 07:48:31 PM »

I JUST got into the Famicom.
I'm a hands on kinda guy, and love to tinker with electronics (solder/repair/improve). I also watch Jontron often and when I saw this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6MIlJYiJUs I decided it was time to give the Family computer a try.
I found both a Non-Working/ Junk / Untested Famicom and Famicom Disk Drive (with the RAM adapter) on ebay and purchased them. I'm still waiting on them to arrive, but I'm already planning the repairs and restores for them. I made sure both were in a kinda yellow or dirty condition with minor (if any) cracks or blemishes. I wanted something I could restore to a like new state the best I could, retrobrite, maybe the vinyl dye, replacing capacitors, belts, modding the Famicom with a 3.5mm AV out port (mostly because I don't have any TV that supports RF/Coaxial any more).
Years ago, I used to make game reproductions for both myself, and in a few batches for sale, I'm already planning a few game reproductions to make for the Famicom once it arrives (Famicom games with english patches).

I'm kinda excited. So right now, this is the start of me getting into Famicom. I'll post more as I get more deep into it!
Wooo!!
~John
reallybrett
Famiclone

I like old video games!

« Reply #175 on: May 30, 2018, 10:54:58 PM »

Basically arcade conversions we did not get here in the US (Galaxian and Space Invaders for example) fan translations and the Retron 5.  I currently collect NES arcade conversions and wanted to branch out in to titles that never left Japan, thusly my Famicom collection was born.  My Retron 5 also opened a lot of doors to exclusive Famicom games with its ability to use fan translations, which is awesome.

----------------------------------------------------
Brett
Currently Collecting: Famicom Carts, Game Gear Games, N64 Games
Vinnk
Disk System
Japan Japan

« Reply #176 on: June 21, 2018, 06:31:38 AM »

Reading Nintendo Power.  They always had an Import gaming section.

The fact that I couldn't play those games at the time made me want to play them more as I got older.

My internet TV show [Famicom Dojo] www.famicomdojo.tv   My Japanese Retro Game Store https://japanretrodirect.ocnk.com
togemet2
Disk System
Netherlands Netherlands

HVC-001

« Reply #177 on: June 21, 2018, 11:36:56 AM »

For me, I think the Disk System is what really got me into the Famicom. That as well as the cool console variations. Bub
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: