Last Famicom game you played?

Started by Doc, July 30, 2006, 12:47:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightstar699

Quote from: Zero107 on April 25, 2013, 09:20:05 pm
Quote from: Nightstar699 on April 25, 2013, 08:57:51 am
Ahh, the original Rockman is a wonderful game. What order have you been starting with? The one I'd recommend is: Guts, Cut, Elec, Ice, Fire, Bomb. But then again, Guts, Cut and Bomb are all very easy, and make good starter stages. Just make sure you play Guts before Elec, because I'm pretty sure the game cannot be completed if you fail to get the Magnet Beam in Elec's stage, which requires use of Guts' weapon.

As for Pizza Pop, did you already get/order a copy of it? How very wise of you to trust the influence of a certain member. That certain member has great taste in games, and an electrifying sense of fashion.

The last Famicom game I played was... Pizza Pop. I'll play Akumajo Special: Boku Dracula Kun next.

Edit: Just got done beating Boku Dracula Kun, and I did so without dying. Good thing I had max health, because that stupid Drillbot on the final stage took 3 entire hearts from me. That thing is impossible to beat without getting hit, unless you get ridiculously lucky.

I've been going Cut, Bomb, Guts, Elec, Ice, then Fire. I realize I'm going in a strange order from the beginning, but it's been working for me. Haha that certain member happens to like a lot of the same games as I, so I figured I was doing the right thing by putting forth trust. Electrifying, huh? Speaking of, it was a casual day at work today, so I wore a pair of red plaid zipper pants, a gray dress shirt with the sleeves cut off over a t-shirt, and a pair of black suede Puma high tops. I had decided to leave my hair down  though (which is a Mohawk). Fun times. I'm actually having trouble finding a copy of Pizza Pop, but I can easily throw the ROM on my Everdrive to give it a spin. I'll probably do that tomorrow after I pick up some sake.

Hmm... that's a respectable order, I'd say. Just wondering, do you actually use Bomb Man's weapon as you fight Gutsman, or do you just use the Buster? I find Bomb Man's weapons to be absolutely useless, they really should have exploded upon impact. Huge oversight on Capcom's part, I'd say, but the weapons in the original are still cool overall.
Zero, have you ever considered cosplaying as Zangief? I could tell you that if I could pull off a Mohawk (which sadly, I cannot) I'd 'Gief it up every single day of my life no matter what. Good luck getting Pizza Pop, that game took me years to find before I finally got one from Manuel. If nerdynebraskan claims the current spare copy of Pizza Pop, I'm confident Manuel wouldn't mind getting a copy for you, too.

The last Famicom games I played were Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 2, Gremlins 2, Joy Mecha Fight, and my pirate cart of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters. Now I'm at work, and I wish I was home already so I could play more games. FC Genjin awaits me.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

P

Quote from: Nightstar699 on April 26, 2013, 03:01:57 pm
Quote from: Zero107 on April 25, 2013, 09:20:05 pm
Quote from: Nightstar699 on April 25, 2013, 08:57:51 am
Ahh, the original Rockman is a wonderful game. What order have you been starting with? The one I'd recommend is: Guts, Cut, Elec, Ice, Fire, Bomb. But then again, Guts, Cut and Bomb are all very easy, and make good starter stages. Just make sure you play Guts before Elec, because I'm pretty sure the game cannot be completed if you fail to get the Magnet Beam in Elec's stage, which requires use of Guts' weapon.

As for Pizza Pop, did you already get/order a copy of it? How very wise of you to trust the influence of a certain member. That certain member has great taste in games, and an electrifying sense of fashion.

The last Famicom game I played was... Pizza Pop. I'll play Akumajo Special: Boku Dracula Kun next.

Edit: Just got done beating Boku Dracula Kun, and I did so without dying. Good thing I had max health, because that stupid Drillbot on the final stage took 3 entire hearts from me. That thing is impossible to beat without getting hit, unless you get ridiculously lucky.

I've been going Cut, Bomb, Guts, Elec, Ice, then Fire. I realize I'm going in a strange order from the beginning, but it's been working for me. Haha that certain member happens to like a lot of the same games as I, so I figured I was doing the right thing by putting forth trust. Electrifying, huh? Speaking of, it was a casual day at work today, so I wore a pair of red plaid zipper pants, a gray dress shirt with the sleeves cut off over a t-shirt, and a pair of black suede Puma high tops. I had decided to leave my hair down  though (which is a Mohawk). Fun times. I'm actually having trouble finding a copy of Pizza Pop, but I can easily throw the ROM on my Everdrive to give it a spin. I'll probably do that tomorrow after I pick up some sake.

Hmm... that's a respectable order, I'd say. Just wondering, do you actually use Bomb Man's weapon as you fight Gutsman, or do you just use the Buster? I find Bomb Man's weapons to be absolutely useless, they really should have exploded upon impact. Huge oversight on Capcom's part, I'd say, but the weapons in the original are still cool overall.

Yeah I used to start with Cutman too but it was annoying to have to play Elecman's stage twice every time and you don't get to throw rocks at Cutman since there are no rocks when you encounter him the second time. Then I learned Bombman also was easy with the rockbuster. I use Bombmans weapon on Gutsman but it's probably the only good use it has. Gutsman is slow and won't be able to dodge the bombs in time.

Nightstar699

If I may ask, what about Gutsman's stage do most people find difficult? Whenever I see people talking about the difficulty level of the original Rockman, Gutsman's stage seems to always come up but I find it to be one of the shortest, but also most fun stages in the game, as well as the one with my favorite theme. What do you think?

Last Famicom game I played was Joy Mech Fight, I'm starting to really get into it, at the moment my best characters in it are Flame, Giant, and Neo. I'd say it's tied with TMNT: Tournament Fighters for best 8-bit fighting game.

Last NES game I played was Shatterhand last night... beat it without dying, which I was pretty proud of because I tend to make stupid mistakes on the last stage of that game.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

nerdynebraskan

I just beat my first FC (exclusive) game: Jumpin' Kid AKA Jack the Giant Slayer. Damn, this game is tedious, though.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

P

Quote from: Nightstar699 on April 27, 2013, 01:51:08 pm
If I may ask, what about Gutsman's stage do most people find difficult? Whenever I see people talking about the difficulty level of the original Rockman, Gutsman's stage seems to always come up but I find it to be one of the shortest, but also most fun stages in the game, as well as the one with my favorite theme. What do you think?

For me as a kid it was probably the lifts that suddenly tip you off. Until you get used to it could cost you many lives.

I would say the hardest non-fortress stage is probably Iceman's stage. Especially the part with the platforms that doubles as indestructible enemies (since they shoot at you). They are so unpredictable. Now when I start with Bombman however, I have the magnet beam on that stage so it's not such a big deal anymore. The disappearing blocks of course, used to be annoying too but after several years of Rockman experience they aren't so bad anymore.

Zero107

Nightstar, there is no way I can pull off a Zangief cosplay on the daily, hell, not even once. I don't have the physique to even consider it. I use the buster on Guts most of the time, but I'll use the bombs every so often just for the hell of it. I agree, they should have been programmed to explode upon impact. I NEVER use them outside the occasional Guts fight. I agree as far as that stage being short and fun. The lifts never give me trouble. If anything, the flying platforms in Ice Man's stage, after the disappearing platforms piss me off. Dem bullets...

Last Famicom game I played was Layla. Made it to Asteroid 3 before I lost a life, but I was done. It's a fun game, but I can't get used to the weird, "on wheels" physics of it.
I'll probably die surrounded by plastic crap.

Nightstar699

Quote from: nerdynebraskan on April 27, 2013, 04:25:43 pm
I just beat my first FC (exclusive) game: Jumpin' Kid AKA Jack the Giant Slayer. Damn, this game is tedious, though.

Is that game any good? That is one of the very few platformers I haven't played, but I looked it up and it appeared to be pretty good.

Quote from: P on April 27, 2013, 04:40:29 pm
For me as a kid it was probably the lifts that suddenly tip you off. Until you get used to it could cost you many lives.

I would say the hardest non-fortress stage is probably Iceman's stage. Especially the part with the platforms that doubles as indestructible enemies (since they shoot at you). They are so unpredictable. Now when I start with Bombman however, I have the magnet beam on that stage so it's not such a big deal anymore. The disappearing blocks of course, used to be annoying too but after several years of Rockman experience they aren't so bad anymore.

Ahh, I always loved the lifts in Gutsman's stage. Once you memorize  how they work, it can be cleared without issue using precise timing. But Ice Man's stage was one I always dreaded... although yesterday I cleared it pretty easily, I remember those shooting platforms being terribly random and glitchy, sometimes I'd get shot and fall right through the platform. Of course the Magnet Beam makes that part easier, but to this day I still get slightly nervous at that point in the stage, Magnet Beam or not. But Ice Man himself as a boss? Boy is he impossible unless you use Electricity. His Ice Shots HURT. Real bad, three mistakes and you're done. The timing to dodge his shots consistently is so precise that I could never even imagine beating him with the buster... and I tried to do so yesterday, I failed.

Quote from: Zero107 on April 27, 2013, 04:59:46 pm
Nightstar, there is no way I can pull off a Zangief cosplay on the daily, hell, not even once. I don't have the physique to even consider it. I use the buster on Guts most of the time, but I'll use the bombs every so often just for the hell of it. I agree, they should have been programmed to explode upon impact. I NEVER use them outside the occasional Guts fight. I agree as far as that stage being short and fun. The lifts never give me trouble. If anything, the flying platforms in Ice Man's stage, after the disappearing platforms piss me off. Dem bullets...
Last Famicom game I played was Layla. Made it to Asteroid 3 before I lost a life, but I was done. It's a fun game, but I can't get used to the weird, "on wheels" physics of it.

A very fun thing to do in the Rockman games is force yourself to use the weaker weapons often, or in situations where their use is limited. Weapons like the bombs in Rockman 1, the Top Spin in Rockman 3, the Charge Kick in Rockman 5, etc. I've found a great deal of replay value by utilizing weapons in this way, and it's actually helped me discover situations where the  weapons actually do come in handy. (But not the bombs in Rockman 1... those are just awful. Oh well)

Last Famicom game I played was Gremlins 2.

nerdynebraskan

I wasn't hugely impressed with it to be honest. The control is not the tightest. Enemy placement is frustrating. Hit detection is a bit biased against you. These are obviously manageable, since I managed to beat the game and it limits you to 9 (single-life) continues.

The most frustrating thing is in the powerup mechanics. Your default jump is tediously weak. You can earn up to two stages of upgrades by picking up springs, but you lose them EVERY time you take a hit. You can also upgrade your shot against bosses by picking up beans, but you also drop them EVERY time you get hit. I wasted a lot of time in several awkward places shooting respawning enemies repeatedly waiting for them to drop a spring or two that I desperately needed.

Nightstar699

To be honest, a couple of those traits actually remind me of Shadow of the Ninja/Kage, one of my favorite games... (losing powerups after being hit, single-life continues, etc) But regardless, based on your description I think I'll opt not to try that game. Games being hard due to controlling an underpowered character isn't challenging, it's just a sign of bad game design.

nerdynebraskan

I haven't played a lot of Shadow of the Ninja, but I was pretty impressed with it from the first couple of stages. Natsume was a pretty underrated minor developer. The gameplay of SotN is fast, smooth, and even 2P co-op which is unusual in platforming action games. Jumpin' Kid is none of those things. I also found the graphics underwhelming for a game published in 1990.

And the bosses were very poorly programmed pushovers. The final boss -- THE giant at the top of the beanstalk (this is a Jack and the Beanstalk interpretation) -- is seriously a statue that throws fireballs in a slow, predictable pattern. If you stand directly at his feet, he can't even hit you. I took more hits from the bats circling in his room than I did from him. Just jump up and take a couple of potshots at his weak point right after he lobs a fireball, then wait for him to throw the next. Lame.

Nightstar699

Tell me about it, I'd say that Natsume is tied with Irem for my favorite game company. I'd recommend you put some more time into Shadow of the Ninja if you get the chance... it's a tough game, but in the good sort of way, it's extremely skillful and the boss battles are some of the best.

Wow, when you stand near  his feet, are you able to cause damage to him? If so, a genuine safespot for the final boss battle, that's pretty weak. The difficulty of this game appears to be grossly imbalanced.

I just got done playing Joy Mech Fight, beat the story mode. It took quite a while, there are many opponents to do battle with. Now to track down and favorite the soundtrack for this game on YouTube... the music was so great it almost distracted me from the fights. Almost

famifan

the lord of king, very hard game, got stuck at 3rd level :-[

L___E___T

My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

machbed

Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 2, 4th final boss beat me.  :'(

Nightstar699

Daiku No Gensan. Trying to get to the point where I can complete both quests without taking any damage, but the seagulls in stage 3 drive me insane.