Last Famicom game you played?

Started by Doc, July 30, 2006, 12:47:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nerdynebraskan

Tonight I played a bit of Thunder Warrior (thanks, fcgamer!) and Cosmo Police Galivan. Two solid games.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

Nightstar699

How far did you get on Thunder Warrior? And how do you feel about the music in that game? I remember loving the music as I played it through. Boy are the final stages of that game frustrating, but still fun and most certainly beatable.

My victories of the night:
Wanpaku Kokkun No Gourmet World
Mickey Mouse III: Yume Fuusen
Wacky Races (NES) - This time I challenged myself to only use the crappy Sonic Bark attack, rather than the highly superior bomb.
Akumajo Special: Boku Dracula Kun - Didn't take any damage on the final stage, which I owe entirely due to luck. I'm convinced that it's 100% random whether or not the drillbot will hit you, I swear there's no pattern to it. You lure him to the ground, sometimes he hits you, sometimes he doesn't.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

nerdynebraskan

I reached the third or fourth stage. I also appreciate the music, as well as the detail they put into the graphics. I wish the running jump mechanics were simpler to use, but last night I discovered that he has a double-jump as well! That makes life much easier in that game.

MS-DOS4

Finished hoshi no kirby again. Classic game
>>>Current Collection<<< Updated 8/20/2014

-Click here for Photobucket Collection-

nerdynebraskan

I'm starting to test the contents of my package from manuel. I've just got done having my first tastes of the Famicom version of Gremlins 2 (which might be a bit easier than the US version... I wasn't seeing as many of the annoying cigar-smoking Gremlins in the second stage as I remember there being). I'll need to play them side by side for a better comparison. It'd be neat if there was a gameplay variation. Truth is I broke down and bought the FC version because the label art is much cooler.

Oh, and nightstar, you might want to sit down...

I also just played some Pizza Pop! It seems alright so far. I only reached the second stage.

Nightstar699

Very nice, I also have the Famicom version of Gremlins 2. I used to have the NES version as well, so I've beaten them both but it's been a real long time since I played the U.S. copy, so... I can't recall if there were any differences, I think it might just be in your head... but it's worth looking into. I think that game is pretty difficult simply because you are only allowed one item at a time, and you lose them all upon death... but then again I'm awful at that game, too.

Congratulations on finally starting your Pizza Pop! journey. The 5th and 6th levels are my favorites, and there is quite a nice bit of variety in not only the levels, but the strategies required to beat bosses. I absolutely adore the drawings in the manual for it as well, makes me wish I had a scanner so I could scan some of the pages in mine.

Last game I played was Wanpaku Kokkun No Gourmet World, but I've been out most of today. Very excited for tomorrow since I'm getting a huge delivery, lots of good games to play, then.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

nerdynebraskan

I'll definitely be looking forward to a bit more of Pizza Pop and a closer comparison of the two versions of Gremlins 2. It might be a couple of days though, as I have other new stuff to clean and test.

I just got done beating Rockman 4. I just had to take it beginning to end. Definitely seems to be identical to the US version, which I know very well. Although, I did make an epic discovery. I was able to hit the sweet spot on the second-to-last Wily boss by charging my buster and jumping to shoot him. I'd previously always resorted to using the Wire, and jumping and shooting from Rush Jet, etc. Needless to say, I usually burned through 8 or 9 E-tanks to beat him. I was able to off him the simple way without an E-tank. Man, was I dumb!

But thanks, manuel, for the boxed RM4. That box already looks great on the NES/FC box shelf in my gameroom.

Nightstar699

May 13, 2013, 10:06:03 am #2122 Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 04:54:49 pm by Nightstar699
Ah, you know it's odd, I always collect both the secret items in Rockman 4, but I've never even used the Wire, except the first time just to test out what it did. I had no clue it could hurt bosses.

Last game I played was Dragon Fighter! And I beat it without dying. One of the best games I've ever played.

Post Merge: May 13, 2013, 04:54:49 pm

Been playing my new games, and I was finally able to beat Gun Nac. Last time I played this game was months ago (on a pirate cart which I don't have anymore) and I was unable to defeat the cruel final stage, then. But this time I did it.

nerdynebraskan

Dragon Fighter and Gun Nac are both solid titles, for sure. I have NES versions of them.

I last played some Macross and Flappy. It was my first time playing Flappy on an original cart, but I've seen it plenty of times on pirates.

Nightstar699

May 13, 2013, 05:04:33 pm #2124 Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:19:36 pm by Nightstar699
Ah, congratulations. Not only are those wonderful games, but the NES versions of them are incredibly rare, too.
I remember making it to stage 5 or so on Macross, long ago. Never did find out if that game had an ending. Never played Flappy but indeed, it is a traditional multicart game, along with many other of the early Famicom releases.

I think I'll play Saiyuki World 2 next, but I also plan to learn how to play Palamedes II, at some point. I tested it out today along with all my other additions, and I quickly realized that's the type of game I'll have to actually take some time to learn before I can play it.

Edit: I played Time Zone instead, and just got done beating it. Outstanding platformer, I love the graphics and sound in it, the mini-games and bosses were great as well. The ninja enemies in the ancient Japan level remind me of those in Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 2! I'd recommend you pick it up if you get the chance, Nebraskan. If you do play it, keep in mind it very much is a platformer which favors patient play above all else.

nerdynebraskan

Time Zone has been on my watch list for a while, actually. I hope manuel will find me one. Searching for it on eBay is a nightmare, given how generic the title is.

I really enjoy the first Palamedes for NES, and I've been looking for the sequel for a while.

I just got done testing my latest shipment from manuel. The last game I played was Paaman Part 2. It's a bit different from the first Paaman, in a good way. I liked the first Paaman, but the sequel has a bit different style of gameplay. I enjoyed flying around obstacles. It's sad how unique this title is, given how many flying superheroes had games on the NES/FC.

Nightstar699

Ahh no worries, then. Manuel can find just about anything. Time Zone is so much fun, tomorrow morning I'll play it again, and try to beat it without dying. The gameplay is... kinda similar to Yo! Noid, or Wagyan Land... but it plays a lot better, and unlike those games, it has actually bosses you fight, rather than just bosses you play mini-games against!

Paaman 1 and 2 are both on my future "to find" list. Though it'll be a long time before I can buy games again, I wouldn't mind trying out those games, especially since I believe they're released by Irem, one of my favorite companies.

I myself just got done beating Ninja Crusaders Ryuga, and wow... I went into it knowing it was a hard game (from reading online), but the difficulty of the later stages outdid my expectations. I spent a lot of time learning the pattern of the final boss, before I could finally beat him, but I had a lot of fun doing so. Great game.

nerdynebraskan

Macross can be pretty brutal, but I get a kick out of the transformations of the player character. I reached stage 3, or maybe it was 4, last night. It was my best run of the game to date. Definitely a bit repetitive, but still fun.

Is the FC version of Ninja Crusaders any different from the NES version? I've enjoyed my NES copy, from what little I've played of it.

I last played some Pizza Pop! This game is tougher than it looks. I burned my last continue and game-overed on stage 4.

Nightstar699

I'm pretty sure they're identical other than the fact that the title screens are different,  as well as the names of the levels. (Even though the level names are both in English) Oddly enough, even the text on the ending screen is 100% in English, so yeah, I don't think you'll feel the need to buy it on Famicom as well... even though the Famicom label art is sick. Ninja Crusaders, like Macross, is another game with cool character transformations, I think today I'll replay it, but try out some different weapons. (And therefore, different transformations)

The main challenge in Pizza Pop is really getting a feel for the speed and hitbox of your pizza attack, as well as the speeds of enemies, and how they react. Once you master utilizing your pizza box to the fullest, the game becomes an easy piece of pizza pie. Though each boss does have a different strategy required to beat them, which must be learned.

So far I've today, I've beaten Mighty Final Fight (with Haggar), and Time Zone (No continues used, but I did die a couple times. I finished the game with 22 lives). Next up I'll  play Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger. 

nerdynebraskan

That "hit box" in Pizza Pop! is damned tiny. I think the attack may even be stubbier than Panic Restaurant. (Or maybe it's just that the enemies are faster and more erratic in Pizza Pop!) I blew a lot of lives on the fat mobster at the top of the high-rise until I started jumping on his head. I got so much in the habit of using the pizza box to whomp all the cats and dogs in the first level. Kind of odd that jumping only stuns small animals, but can kill a man twice my size.

I just got done with a little side-by-side comparison of Gremlins 2 on NES and FC. They do seem identical. I remembered there being more of the cigar-smoking Gremlins in Stage 2, probably because they gave me fits especially when I was younger. I actually reached Stage 4-2, which might be my best playthrough in over 20 years of occasionally screwing with this game.