Last Famicom game you played?

Started by Doc, July 30, 2006, 12:47:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Medisinyl

/\  Considering how many things Conker's Bad Fur Day definitely copied, I suppose it is a possibility, but if I were to go looking for similarities in games, then I know I'd find all kinds of unintentional ones, so who knows.

JC

They look strikingly similar, so I wouldn't doubt they tried to recreate it.

UglyJoe

The framing is similar (big chair with curtain behind it centered in shot), but the similarities end there.  The number of differences far outnumber the similarities.

JC

Well, don't you run into copyright issues if you copy it exactly? And the differences aren't great at all. What, there's a few skulls? That's the only difference I see. As for similarities, you've got the pillars at the sides kinda faintly highlighted. You've got the big chair with one character in it. You've got a bunch of other characters to the left and right of the big chair...

We could argue forever, I guess, since we might never know for sure...

Medisinyl

If you were to look at it the opposite way, I don't see how you could translate that CBFD image to 8-bit any closer without using the same characters and blatantly copying it--of course CBFD has a fancier 64-bit background, but every aspect aside from the absence of flying characters in CBFD is there (skulls on the chair are a minor difference). 

UglyJoe

Really, what's in the Dracula-kun picture?  A big chair with a little guy in it and a bunch of people sitting and flying around it.

The chair in the CBFD is also big and also has a character in it, but the chair looks nothing like the one Dracula-kun chair.  There are characters around it, but they're not in the same positions as the Dracula-kun characters.  There isn't enough similarity.

It's like, if I drew a picture of a long table that had 7 people sitting on one end of it and an eighth guy standing on top of it, it wouldn't be a nod to The Last Supper.  It's just that both happen to feature a long table and people.

But, yeah, agree to disagree, I suppose.

nintendodork

Another similarity: Characters in the thrones are of small stature
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

Medisinyl

March 18, 2009, 04:04:35 pm #892 Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 05:21:58 pm by Medisinyl
/\  That is one of the main things that got me to notice the similarity instantly.

To get back on track, and to predict the future, by tonight I will have played at least some of Somari, SMW, Splatterhouse, and Kid Dracula to show my sister and her boyfriend when they come over.  Doubt they would care about the audio difference between the FC and NES CV3 games, but may show that as well.

Agent X

AV FAMICOM for today:

~Master Fighter VI
~Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode
~LAYLA
~Yume Penguin Story
~Mad City
~Pocahontas
~Mari Turbo: Street Fighter III
Gaming peaked in the 8-Bit & 16-Bit eras...
all else is just rehashes and insanity passing
itself off as "gaming."
~Agent X

djdac

zombiepowder

OBEY GIANT
巨人を靡く。
Submit to Mugen
ムゲンを屈伏。

FamicomFreak

Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

JC

FamicomFreak

Quote from: JC on March 21, 2009, 11:27:06 am
Bubble Bobble

Disk System or NES cart or Disk System version on Cart?
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

JC