April 28, 2024, 07:46:36 pm

Classic graphics card

Started by FamicomFreak, March 12, 2008, 10:22:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FamicomFreak

I need a graphics card for the best 2D gaming possible. I heard some cards are 2D/3D graphics card but I don't know which one to get. I have a windows 98 amd-k6 222 with 10gb hd and 195mb of ram. It came with a motherboard graphics card but the side scrolling dos games are a little messed up like the screen doesn't move as fast as it should so I'm thinking getting a new graphics card would help. HELPP!!!
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

133MHz

Get a cheapo PCI one with at least 4 MB of Video RAM, like the S3 ViRGE or the Trident 9xxx ones. Almost anything will work perfectly.

Also, what motherboard do you have?

FamicomFreak

March 12, 2008, 10:37:56 am #2 Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 10:42:57 am by FamicomFreak
I'm not sure what the motherboard is all I know it's a packard bell model 955. This computer was given to me by a friend of my mother's and it was just a big mess...the PC wouldn't even shut down properly or had the graphics hard drivers. I installed 98se and found all the drivers online.

One more note, I found a 2mb S3 Virge. Will that work well for my classic dos games?

133MHz

Quote from: FamicomFreak on March 12, 2008, 10:37:56 am
One more note, I found a 2mb S3 Virge. Will that work well for my classic dos games?

Perfectly. Keep in mind that with only 2 MB you can't reach very high resolutions/color depths, but if you have a 14" or less monitor and you're using it to play DOS and early Windows games that's not a problem ;).

FamicomFreak

Look at this beauty!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310030734136&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=021

I remember seeing these computers when I was in highschool....man I would love to have one of these.

133MHz

I had one of those, but it had a 100MHz 486, 8 MB RAM and a 850MB hard drive. It ran Windows 95 reasonably well.
Also the computer labs of my childhood used all-in-one PCs like the Compaq Presario CDTV 520 (a 486 with built in monitor and speakers).

Coax cable Novell networks yay!

FamicomFreak

Wow that looks awesome. I am going to keep my eyes on this local thrift store because they usually get really old computers and sell them for mad cheap. I want a windows 95 system and windows 3.11 system as well.

FamicomFreak

Here is a video clip of how the gameplay looks. I hope it helps and don't mind my friends cursing lol

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VqDgxhJNUlU

133MHz

Try booting from a bare DOS disk to eliminate the possibility of some TSR causing it.

BTW that Mario PC game is classic! I've played the pirated version back in the 90s, used to distribute the floppy among friends ;D.

FamicomFreak

Quote from: 133MHz on March 21, 2008, 06:01:01 pm
Try booting from a bare DOS disk to eliminate the possibility of some TSR causing it.

BTW that Mario PC game is classic! I've played the pirated version back in the 90s, used to distribute the floppy among friends ;D.

HEY~! I did that too when I was back in high school I gave everyone a floppy with it and sooner than you thought all the machines had it! lol btw my good old 2mb s3 virge card arrived and I installed it and everything works perfectly! Thanks again!