SNES or Sega Genesis?

Started by Doc, August 24, 2006, 01:20:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SNES or Sega Genesis?

SNES
20 (47.6%)
Sega Genesis
4 (9.5%)
Both Are Badass, More & Less In Some Aspects, Resulting In Them Both Being Equally Badass
18 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 41

son_ov_hades

Look, games are still being made the way they were on the Playstation, it's a "modern" system.

Blue Protoman

Right, but with advancing technology, won't games eventually be made a different way?  Someday (though maybe not in our lifetimes), people could be playing games Tron-style.
BP's Domain
Visit my site today!
http://bpsdomain.b1.jcink.com/

L___E___T

Genesis / MD definitely has better shooters.  If Recca is your thing then you need to take a look through the below.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2007/01/hidden-gems-best-undiscovered-sega.html

Plus Shinobi is too good.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

japanfreak

*Cough* Gradius, Parodius *Cough*

No, for better shooters I would go for the saturn

nintendodork

Well..this is Genesis VS. SNES, not Saturn VS. SNES
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

Blue Protoman

While on the topic of Sega, does anyone notice that just about all of the Sega consoles are underrated?
BP's Domain
Visit my site today!
http://bpsdomain.b1.jcink.com/

nintendodork

You're extremely right  (:o) The Dreamcast is awesome, and I've only played the Genesis once...and I loved it.  As for the Saturn, I've never played that one, but I bet it would be cool, too.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

nurd

I really only like the dreamcast.

Rogles

( ยด_ゝ`)

namzep

Quote from: Gorgarth on September 27, 2006, 05:33:54 pm
Let us compare the following titles:

4. Mortal Kombat I, II, III (SNES) Versus Mortal Kombat I, II, III .. I Choose Mortal Kombat for SNES.

I think the Genesis version was much more accurate.  Though, I agree with all of the other choices.  SNES is by and away my favorite system between the two (and I even like the TG-16 better than the Genesis).  Genesis had a few good RPGs (Shining Forces and Phantasy Stars) but gets blown away in basically every category.

Quote from: L___E___T on June 14, 2009, 12:16:56 pm
Genesis / MD definitely has better shooters.  If Recca is your thing then you need to take a look through the below.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2007/01/hidden-gems-best-undiscovered-sega.html

Plus Shinobi is too good.

I had forgotten about the Genesis stranglehold on shooters.  That's the one category that it beats the SNES in.

cubelmariomadness

I've played my friends SNES and I own a genesis, so i think my vote goes to genesis
Sorry folks.

MarioMania

japanfreak

I played only the saturn and the Dreamcast... And both only shooters XD

For the saturn Goukijou Parodius or something, and for the dreamcast some shooter with the arcade controller... It was cool, it was not sidescrolling like gradius, but it was forward scrolling XD Like Nanostray on the DS (I like that one too)

nurd

My favorite Dreamcast games are Rez, Ikaruga, Jet Grind Radio, Sonic Adventures 1 and 2, and Seaman.

mobiusclimber

I couldn't possible choose one over the other. Probably if I had to pick and could only keep one it would be the SNES, but that's only b/c it has a ton of games I haven't played yet. Being a huge RPG fan, the SNES is obviously more attractive in that there's way more RPGs, but the Genesis tended to do them differently, and so the experience is always pretty fresh.

The Phantasy Star series featured a technologically advanced civilization and space travel. PSIV introduced first-person driving, which I think was a really interesting addition.

Shadowrun on the Genesis features open-ended, sandbox gameplay before such words were bandied about and well before anyone thought a console could even DO that. There were actually several games on the Genesis that let you play as a total badass (the Road Rash series let you beat a cop over the head with a chain). But Shadowrun let you choose to be good, evil or somewhere inbetween, gave you the option to play any which way you wanted meaning you could beef up and be a tank or focus on magic power or deck yourself out in cybernetics... or just about any combination you wanted. You could spend your time doing runs or following the story, or neither.

Landstalker was considered by some to be a Zelda clone, but I think it really focused on the puzzles a bit more. Probably not the most innovative game, but it was certainly fun!

Shining Force I & II - well the SNES really didn't get any strategy-RPGs in the US and I don't think any of the import titles are as great as these two games. (I know we got Ogre Battle, that's more of a strategy game to me tho.)

Shining in the Darkness is another great one, much better than the closest analog on the SNES, Arcana.
Proud owner of Super Smash Games in Tacoma and Seattle