April 18, 2024, 03:55:01 am

Finds (NES)

Started by JC, August 26, 2006, 12:13:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightstar699

Up until recently I was kicking myself because back in 2007 I turned down the chance to get a CIB Metal Storm for like 15 bucks. The reason I did so was because, I shit you not, I read a negative review of the game. Now, going back and re-reading said review... it's awful, and was written by someone who obviously didn't know how to play the game. So the price increase was kinda demoralizing, though luckily I have the JP version CIB now so no harm done.

I would indeed blame the HVGN for this. Whenever a popular YouTuber does a video on an underrated gamer, the price is bound to shoot up.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

zxin

July 19, 2015, 11:06:44 am #736 Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 04:02:52 am by zxin
Right now the collection is about the size of my house -- small -- all that's really noteworthy is that I have a CiB copy of Super Mario Bros. and Digger T. Rock, and I have the manual for SMB3 in (almost) mint condition.
Thanks for your time,<br />~zxin

nerdynebraskan

I got to raid the paper stash of my local game store, and came home with 25 new NES boxes (B) and about 20 new manuals (I) for my collection. The only rare-ish one was Bucky O'Hare (IB), but I picked up several classics and childhood favorites: Dragon Warrior III (I), Godzilla (IB), Guerrilla War (I), Kirby's Adventure (B), Maniac Mansion (B), Mario Bros Arcade (B), Mega Man 3 (I), Metroid (classics series; B), Ninja Gaiden II (B), Paperboy (B), Tecmo Super Bowl (B), and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II and III (Bs). The best part is I got everything for about $160 in store credit.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

zmaster18

Quote from: Nightstar699 on July 06, 2015, 02:01:54 pm
Up until recently I was kicking myself because back in 2007 I turned down the chance to get a CIB Metal Storm for like 15 bucks. The reason I did so was because, I shit you not, I read a negative review of the game. Now, going back and re-reading said review... it's awful, and was written by someone who obviously didn't know how to play the game. So the price increase was kinda demoralizing, though luckily I have the JP version CIB now so no harm done.

I would indeed blame the HVGN for this. Whenever a popular YouTuber does a video on an underrated gamer, the price is bound to shoot up.

I believe the HVGN made Clash at Demonhead more expensive. It used to be a really cheap game. I predict that the NES gem Conquest of the Crystal Palace will be super expensive once it's more popular.

mrtselevel

It was just another hot sunday afternoon where i live and my girlfriend asked me if i could get her a mango fruitbar.  There were other stores near by that sold fruitbars but I knew they didnt have mango.  I racked my brain for a solution and thought of place, so I said sure why not since where I had in mind was nearby the thirft store i usually frequent.  I stepped into the thrift store heading to the area where they keep the electronics behind glass and then my heart began to race when I spotted a NES(original style) system with hookups(wires and 2 controllers) and a stack of games next to it.  During my many years of video game collecting and thrifting its been a long while seeing an NES out in the wild.  Once I saw the price tag of $15 USD for the sytem i started getting real panicky.  The store was semi-crowded and the checkout line was like 6-7 deep.  I wasnt sure if i needed to wait in line to claim it or try to find an employee to hold it for me(the people at the register were focused on moving the line along).  They were understaffed so I wasnt sure which method would have been more effective and of course dreading the agony someone would pick it up before me.  I was sad a few months back when at the same store someone picked up a DMG 01 Gameboy right when I got there for 5 bucks. 

But it just so happened luck was on my side as I did finally get someones attention and asked the employee to hold it for me.  She said 2 people looked at it and passed. Not sure why they did, the hookups were in a ziploc bag taped to the nes and the cartridge slot was taped shut.  She said I was a very lucky person, which i told her I agree

Then I finally got to look at the stack of games in which they wanted 4 dollars each game.  I passed on TMNT and Twin Cobra but I picked up:
Yoshis Cookie with Manual
Kirbys Adventure with Manual
Star Trek
Donkey Kong Arcade classic
Metroid
Super Mario Bros(Dont know why I couldnt help picking it up)
and finally
Volleyball in Box with the hangtab punched

After walking out the door I was in disbelief it really happened.  Thrift stores have really been drying up in terms of video games where I live, but I guess every once in a while something cool happens.

As an added bonus when i got home and finally took off all the tape on the NES I opened up the cartridge slot to find a copy of Ducktales sitting inside.  Everything worked fine with the system and there was even a sega genesis rf box in the ziploc bag.

In the end I guess I keep thinking I am sure glad my gf asked me to go get her that fruitbar  ;D

19rsn007

Protoman

3 new games in hand, Esper Boukentai, Lord of King and Joy Mech Fight.

One new game on the way, Castlevania 3

nerdynebraskan

I've had a good week for NES box pickups. I've scored Captain America, Ghoul School, and The Little Mermaid. The first two I traded for, and the latter one I got for free!
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

Protoman

Holy Diver and Darkwing Duck on a hungarian pirate cart because as we know it didn't come out on Famicom properly.

Paaman

Finally got my Twin in the mail. Been loving it so far.

djdac

Was finally able to get 2 famicom games I have been wanting for awhile.

Punch-Out Gold Cart and Rockman 2!

Nuudoru

That golden Punch-Out looks really sweet. How much was it?

djdac

Quote from: Nuudoru on March 15, 2016, 08:44:06 am

I got it for $98, thought it was a decent price and I've been wanting one for years so I snagged it up.

Nuudoru

Quote from: djdac on March 16, 2016, 12:56:57 am

I got it for $98, thought it was a decent price and I've been wanting one for years so I snagged it up.

If I had $98 dollars and saw it for that price I'd probably buy it as well. That's the kind of thing I would put in a glass cage. ;D

djdac

Quote from: Nuudoru on March 16, 2016, 01:13:29 am
Quote from: djdac on March 16, 2016, 12:56:57 am

If I had $98 dollars and saw it for that price I'd probably buy it as well. That's the kind of thing I would put in a glass cage. ;D

I'm putting it in a game protector for sure!