March 28, 2024, 10:58:42 am

Finds (NES)

Started by JC, August 26, 2006, 12:13:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Retrospectives

Yeah I feel similar, especially when they cracked the copy protection basically just made it into a multi-device. Sure handy for casual gamer but if really enthusiast then a part of the hobby at least for me is go through the step of actually play real game on real hardware, and even that does not need being too expensive or complicated. Just much more genuine feeling.

For me, each game deserves it's own respect, and to truly enjoy that, I need the original cartridge, and if box/manual is available then is huge plus. Not needing any mint condition anything to be honest, but just being able to look at the label and say "This soft someone has spent a lot of time and effort into creating, so I will finish it".

So mostly I buy single game nowadays. Sometimes boxed, sometime not. Only the most valuable like Recca and such I don't want play, or I can use flash cartridge but seldom I use flash cartridges, other than they are handy for proto, hacks or other thing such as very very rare game I never could afford.  :)

But in regards of all these mini system, I totally get the point, but as for enthusiast of FC, is more like novelty and part of the completion sake as you said. Is just a nice way of having a  playable miniature version of the favourite system ^^

P

I consider the manual an important part of the whole art piece, especially in older games. In newer games the manuals is often just explaining how to play the game, which is often unnecessary as the game often contains in-game tutorials. But old games where content and graphical capabilities was very limited, things like the story, names of enemies and other characters is information that can often only be found in the manual. Often with gorgeous '80s artwork so you can see how the characters are actually supposed to look like. That's why I don't feel the game is really complete without its manual.

Yeah I also use flashcarts mostly for games I can't afford (especially if I can download the manual scans), protos and hacks, but also for things I program myself. When developing a Famicom game nowdays you are spoiled by easy-to-use tools and emulators for testing, but sometimes you need to test it on real hardware to make sure things works like they should, and flashcarts makes that super easy (in the end you should probably burn the game to a cartridge to test initialization-bugs and other things that flashcarts with menus may hide though).

Yeah the classic mini is very small so it is a quick way to play some Super Mario Kart when you don't want to bring your real Super Famicom (my Super Famicom is in Sweden and I'm in Japan).

Retrospectives

In game tutorials is probably one reason why I do not like that much of modern gaming. Is simply too much work just to start a game. For me, gaming = Simple entertainment. A quick fix from reality and a way to feel nostalgia rather than spending hours on hours just to being able to finish a game...I guess family life is a big reason for that, but I never was into much of RPG or similar, but yeah. Manuals are a part of the appreciation and sometimes a must have to even understand how to play the game correctly.

Except that point, I also think that artwork and other things such as name of the enemies, background stories, and just the feeling of getting more "covered" by the game itself adds on to that feeling, and that is why I try to buy game that has both box and manual as much as possible even though I never cared about it has to be mint condition or not. That is totally secondary to the fact that for me, the hobby is about enjoyment and appreciation rather than having the most shiny boxes etc.

You play SFC on the NES Mini? Yeah, you live in Hokkaido right? What you doing there? Student? I have been there many times, and one of my best friend come from extreme north coast of Hokkaido. Among all cities outside of my native Kansai area I think Sapporo by far is the best one in Japan, but I suppose most other Japanese people think so as well  ;D

P

June 30, 2018, 04:03:03 pm #783 Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 03:04:14 am by P
I agree, mint condition is of course great if I can get it, but I'm not willing to spend too much extra money to have every game mint. For the more expensive ones I'm fine with just the manual and cartridge.

No I meant the SFC Classic Mini. I don't have the FC or NES Classic Mini.

I'm working for a company just outside Sapporo doing various things like translation and culture exchange things. But I might need to find a new job as my contract runs out in a few months.
I've been to the extreme north coast recently. It was very cold despite being summer. But since this year all of Japan seems to be having a cold summer I guess it's unfair to judge it by that experience. It was much colder than I've ever seen here or in middle of Sweden (which is similar to Sapporo) in summer though.

Retrospectives

That is true. I remember Sweden king came here and they had meeting of celebration. I just read on Yahoo News so I do not know exact detail, but I know Sweden King is a really funny person. Our Emperor also very funny, a little bit odd personalities when it come to royal people so I think they could become good friend. But also of course I remember Viktoria marriage with Prince Daniel, and we send convoy with Crown Prince I think to Sweden.

You work in Sweden Hills? Ahahahah  ;D

P

Yeah he is a funny king, I think he knows the Japanese emperor as he meets them now and then, but I'm sure they speak the same languages. He loves sports so he often goes to sport events and even participate in ski races and such. Prince Daniel is also from middle Sweden like me, I know people that came from the same neighbourhood as him.

Ah I'm not working in Sweden Hills.

Retrospectives

Yeah I think that they are friends. Not that many Monarchies left and I read that Viktoria want to take over, just as our emperor soon will resign, but at same time it seem King Carl Gustav does not want to resign? Hahaha. Yeah, I see video of him. Very funny. Swedes seem having a little bit maybe not love-hate relation, but at least a more casual relation to him as compared to Japan, but at the same time our current emperor is rather controversial himself aka not following earlier emperors, his speech about Korea and other things which made the Japanese right wing go totally crazy haha. But for me is just happy seeing someone with a strong personality making impression. Rather I see that than some stiff conservative guy who never open mouth.  :)

Now we really got off topic, but yeah. Funny that the few monarchs left in world obviously doing all they can to move with the time into modern way of society. Nordic (except Finland/Iceland), UK, NL, JPN, Thai and then is just a very few of them left.

Anyway, you have the NES classic mini?

As I am curious, is PAL right? 50hz? I remember playing a PAL NES, and most emulator of choice can handle PAL NES and I really could not stand it, but from other friend telling me that for them, 50z is the "real deal"  ;D So I guess is a factor of nostalgia playing the games 50hz for them is the authentic feeling.

P

Well Swedish kings traditionally don't resign like Japanese emperors do, except in rare cases. They continue to reign until they die and their successor will be crowned from then on. When Princess Viktoria was born the system did not allow a female successor so initially she wasn't, and her younger brother born years later became it instead. They eventually changed the rules and she became the new successor and remains that to this day. Apparently the reigning king passed the record this year, and is now the longest reigning king in Swedish history (well older kings died a lot fighting wars of course).

Yeah the motto of the current king is "For Sweden in time" which means that he wishes to fit in as a modern monarch.
Sadly many young Swedes are easily swayed and often don't have much for royalties.They want one of the world's oldest lasting monarchy to end. "It's against democracy" they say, they really just don't get what's important and what is not. :(

Nope no NES Classic Mini. I only have the Super Famicom Classic Mini.
But from what I heard the PAL one is identical to the American one, so the games are NTSC version and runs in 60 Hz. The SNES Classic Mini is probably the same, although it has the SFC look (just like the real PAL SNES). Yeah I don't remember games was slow as a kid, but as I don't have my PAL NES anymore I played the PAL version of those old games for the first time in years when the Wii virtual console came out. Megaman 2 was incredibly slow! I have no memory of that from when I was a kid. This is only an issue with Famicom/NES games that was not properly sped up when released to PAL. Many developers didn't change anything at all leaving music notes sounding totally different (due to the slower clocked APU) and gameplay very slow. I can't say that's part of nostalgia because I don't really remember it, and these games are clearly better when played as they were designed.

VegaVegas

Those all NES and SNES minis are pieces of crap anyway that can plug to HDMI. Nintendo released modern clone systems without any official way to add/buy new games in 2018. NES audio emulation is completely off (see Balloon Fight), SNES also sucks in a few instances, although built in games PROBABLY emulate fine in this case but not absolutely sure. Just burn them to hell or throw to trash and play original NES/SNES hardware without any errors

L___E___T

The NES and SNES mini are great, why the hate?  You have to look at them differently than real hardware, because on is perfect for CRT and awful on HDTV, the NES and SNES mini are perfect for HDTVs.  Yes they come with a limited selection, but the emulation is solid (it's basically Wii VC) and you can upgrade them unofficially with much more.

Yes the NES mini is all 60hz and better for it.  That was one of my complaints with the Wii VC, that a lot of PAL versions were 50hz for nostalgia - a real mistake iMO.

I didn't see any audio off on the NES Mini though, even after checking Balloon Fight - what elements are off? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSLTqF-juwA
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

VegaVegas

Quote from: L___E___T on July 05, 2018, 02:21:32 pm
I didn't see any audio off on the NES Mini though, even after checking Balloon Fight - what elements are off? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSLTqF-juwA

Listen to balloon pops and all bass effects (level clear for instance). This sounds way different than original NES

L___E___T

I only play Balloon Trip, if that's the case I can live with that :)

Both NES and SNES Mini are back in stock by the way, should anyone still be looking for one.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

nensondubois

I just bought a ton of Famicom games and an AV modded Famicom with a Disk System that has a new belt that is supposedly going to last for years but obviously I can't verify that as accurate. Among the things I bought was a loose Akumajo Densetsu cart, a Mario 2 disk with Volleyball on side B, US Golf Course, CIB only because I wanted at least one blue disk. Actually, I did buy another blue disk and guess what? It has Super Mario Bros 2 written to side A with Galaxian o side B (wish it was a better game on side B like Super Mario Bros and that would have been perfect!). I also bought a CIB Lagrange Point in excellent condition, an FDSstick, Rolling Thunder, Shin Megami Tensei II CIB and other non-famicom related items.

https://twitter.com/nensondubois_/status/1015058529013633024

I plan on buying more games and some compete in box like Akumajo Densetsu box and manual.

Retrospectives

Quote from: P on July 04, 2018, 07:40:28 am
Well Swedish kings traditionally don't resign like Japanese emperors do, except in rare cases. They continue to reign until they die and their successor will be crowned from then on. When Princess Viktoria was born the system did not allow a female successor so initially she wasn't, and her younger brother born years later became it instead. They eventually changed the rules and she became the new successor and remains that to this day. Apparently the reigning king passed the record this year, and is now the longest reigning king in Swedish history (well older kings died a lot fighting wars of course).

Yeah the motto of the current king is "For Sweden in time" which means that he wishes to fit in as a modern monarch.
Sadly many young Swedes are easily swayed and often don't have much for royalties.They want one of the world's oldest lasting monarchy to end. "It's against democracy" they say, they really just don't get what's important and what is not. :(

Nope no NES Classic Mini. I only have the Super Famicom Classic Mini.
But from what I heard the PAL one is identical to the American one, so the games are NTSC version and runs in 60 Hz. The SNES Classic Mini is probably the same, although it has the SFC look (just like the real PAL SNES). Yeah I don't remember games was slow as a kid, but as I don't have my PAL NES anymore I played the PAL version of those old games for the first time in years when the Wii virtual console came out. Megaman 2 was incredibly slow! I have no memory of that from when I was a kid. This is only an issue with Famicom/NES games that was not properly sped up when released to PAL. Many developers didn't change anything at all leaving music notes sounding totally different (due to the slower clocked APU) and gameplay very slow. I can't say that's part of nostalgia because I don't really remember it, and these games are clearly better when played as they were designed.

I like the idea of Monarchy as long there is constitution that protect the democratic values of the country. Example is Thailand whereas is illegal even speaking bad of the King. I never would speak bad about Emperor but I also think people should have freedom of speech and we can move along "with the time" as Sweden kings saying, and still having a Monarchy. For me personally is been a bit of "exclusive" feeling of still having a Monarchy when almost everyone else turned into Republic/Federations.  :-[

I see. I dont know where I got the memory about PAL. I think speedrunners and such still play at 50hz some of them? Or maybe I just listed to a very bad argument for someone protecting the 50hz hehe. Yeah, 60hz is preferred, but is too bad many of the Europe releases not compatible with 60hz because it would make it more playable to collect them. Or are they work on example NTSC? I know SMB and some game were optimized for PAL and also Mario Classic Serie, the German original, it run too fast on NTSC, but I know there is hack for that game and in Japan it already release Kaette Kita Mario Bros for FDS but still is sad if cannot play childhood games on real system in normal speed.  :'(

VegaVegas

I believe you can still run emulators "unofficially" on hacked NES/SNES mini and there should be some sort of option to "force PAL". Of course this applies if you are so desperate to do that, even though I'm in PAL region I never played any PAL game in PAL speed in the last 5 years. PAL is atrocious and is the worst system for gaming as games are supposed to play fast