Pulse line carts

Started by vealchop, August 31, 2006, 01:52:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JC

September 04, 2006, 12:02:28 pm #15 Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 10:31:23 pm by JC
These are the "cassette line" carts. They're the first released games for the Famicom and the label all had the same design, with the pulse line stretching from one end to the other. Someone posted a list of them above.

[Removed]

Doc

Quote from: vealchop on September 04, 2006, 07:43:21 am
It's different, but they definately designed the art on the cart to closely resemble the cassette line. I guess at the beginning they figured all the carts were going to look that way and in order to align themselves closely with nintendo, they made a similar design. Marketing!

I think it looks cool. :)

And that's a nice shot of the Baseball cart, JC. Is that yours? If so, I can do a review before I go...PM ME!

JC

vealchop, did you arrange your list in an particular order, such as release? It's certainly not alphabetical.

Doc

Maybe in the order of what games were in a collection box? My collection isn't in order, I went by what came out of my box first.

JC

Can anyone confirm that "Sansuu Asobi" is the same as Donkey Kong Jr. Math?

vealchop

September 04, 2006, 07:08:44 pm #20 Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 10:15:58 pm by JC
Here's a quick shot of my "cassette line" collection:

[Removed]

Also JC, not to be a dick or anything, but if thats a shot of your Baseball "cassette line" cart, I think it might be a pirate. I've never seen them with "family computer" written on the top in English.
-chop

JC

No problem -- the Baseball cart is a piece of shit anyway. Maybe a variation, tho? Damn. I hate having to start thinking about variations; FW is still so young and we're gonna pop that cherry, aren't we? :-\

Thanks for the pic. If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to have a pic of each one individually (uncropped/unresized) so that I could post them with the piece I put up on the cassette lines. If you have time: jc@famicomworld.com.

Doc

It's a variation. For some reason, Nintendo made TONS of color variations to its Baseball cartridge. Both of yours are legit and real.

JC

Ah shit, vealchop. If what JL is saying is true, you've got some work to do on that collection of yours. :D

Doc

I'm pretty sure there's purple and green variants...and more. :D

vealchop

I dunno. I work in advertising, and I know Nintendo always used Avant Garde fonts when spelling out "Family Computer" in english. Using a regular font like the one on JC's isn't something a big company like that would approve of, which is why it leads me to believe its a pirate. I'm challenging you on the cassette line variants though! I need to see some proof! hahaha
-chop

JC

September 05, 2006, 07:17:11 pm #26 Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 03:27:57 pm by JC
Ok. So I figured the only way to know for sure was to open the cart...

[Removed]

:D Looks like JL was right! And I got myself another HVC code!

EDIT: I think it was by year of release. My 1984 DK has Family Computer in Japanese, while the 1983 Baseball has it in English. That doesn't make sense...you think it'd be the other way around.

vealchop

September 05, 2006, 07:50:14 pm #27 Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 10:16:29 pm by JC
Okay, here's may theory. I took a close look at the Baseball cart I own. It too says "baseball" on the pulse line. Above that it says "baseball" in Japanese, but when I looked closely at it, the Japanese on JC's cart looks a lot different. Here's I pic i googled searched of the cart I own:

[Removed]

And here's JC's:

[Removed]

See the difference? It almost leads me to believe that it might be Chinese? I know there was a Hong Kong version of the Famicom released. Could there have been Hong Kong versions of the inital Cassette line series released? Also notice JC's doesn't say "Made in Japan" which further leads me to believe its an HK version.
-chop

JC

That makes a lot of sense, vealchop. We'll have to do some more investigating. ;)

Doc

But, weren't Hong Kong version games PAL only?