Something that annoys you

Started by ericj, June 06, 2008, 05:22:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nensondubois

January 04, 2010, 12:56:22 pm #420 Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 02:54:01 pm by nensondubois
Games aren't as good today as they were in the 1990's and early 2000's.
People using "legit" as "legitimate".

NintendoNerds

ericj

Reminds me of one of my favorite George Carlin quotes: "Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac."

I'm annoyed by people who have 25 items to purchase, but are in the 10 items or less checkout lane at the grocery store.

nintendodork

January 04, 2010, 09:48:01 pm #423 Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:41:47 am by nintendodork
As a bagboy, I always try and get the express lane, because I hate sacking big orders.  This surprisingly happens a lot where there are over 10 items in the 10 items or less fewer register. ::)
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

UglyJoe

ericj

January 05, 2010, 07:37:53 am #425 Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 07:47:34 am by ericj
10 items or less OR 10 items or fewer.

Maybe Whole Foods uses the latter, but almost all grocery stores (incorrectly) specifically call it the "10 items or less" express lane.  Have a look next time you're there.

Using their terminology, stating "10 items or less" is correct provided you're referrring to how your specific store names it, regardless of grammatical accuracy. 

Damn grammaratarians...

I think "Up to 10 Items" is the way to go.

nensondubois

Missing the obvious George Carlin chance.

nintendodork

This is fun to know, but why is saying '10 items or less' incorrect?
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

MS-DOS4

Clicking on images from my Google Image search and being greeted with "DO NOT HOTLINK TO THIS IMAGE!" when I was actually just trying to look at it.
>>>Current Collection<<< Updated 8/20/2014

-Click here for Photobucket Collection-

ericj

Quote from: nintendodork on January 05, 2010, 11:41:23 am
This is fun to know, but why is saying '10 items or less' incorrect?

Fewer is used to describe countable things. Less is used to describe uncountable quantities, collective amounts, and degree. Items in a store are countable from a purchasing standpoint, so fewer is the correct choice.

nensondubois

nensondubois

I think I may have said this before. When people use legit as legitimate.

nensondubois

That the Retro gamers forum went kaput.

Already done. p=

Nightstar699

Wow, seriously. That sucks. I liked that forum.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

nintendodork

January 22, 2010, 05:29:35 pm #434 Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 05:38:49 pm by nintendodork
Quote from: nensondubois on January 22, 2010, 01:25:06 pm
That the Retro gamers forum went kaput.

Already done. p=
It did not. ;D Check the link in my signature.  Everyone who was on TRG also received an email (in their actual email account, and possibly their PM box on TRG.  Not sure) that I wrote concerning the situation.  Everything is just fine.

Also, for those who would like a brief explanation, here's the thread I made on the original forum:
http://z6.invisionfree.com/theretrogamers/index.php?showtopic=576

The PM/email I sent has more details, however.

If the post contains any bad pictures, or something of that nature, it's because NINT3NDOGAM3R edited it, and I'll try to keep it like it is as much as I can. ::)