Something that annoys you

Started by ericj, June 06, 2008, 05:22:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlon

That is soooo true I hate that also
Visit My Youtube Channel www.youtube.com/marlondudeful

tankexmortis

That can be annoying in some circumstances, but personification is a useful tool. When people talk about society, they generally mean everybody that belongs to the society they live in. When people talk about Hollywood, they're usually talking about the folks involved in mainstream big-budget cinema. Once you understand what they're referring to it's not that bad. If people had to go into exacting specifics about everything they said, communication would be a lot more frustrating and a lot less useful.

I leave you with a quote from the wonderful film Repo Man (not to be confused with Repo Men, which is a piece of crap) :

Duke: The lights are growing dim. I know a life of crime led me to this sorry fate... And yet, I blame society. Society made me what I am.
    Otto Maddox: Bullshit! You're a white suburban punk, just like me!

Jedi Master Baiter

Often I think people don't know what they're talking about when they use such terms as 'society' , 'Hollywood' , 'the Government' & such.

I'm not saying all people do this, but generally when there's a disturbance, someone will fabricate a greater evil & blame that.

Here's why it's a fallacy:

No one person controls the movie industry, our country, or a group of people - it's every single one of us.  We can use these terms, but to a limited extent.

And Hollywood is a misnomer - not all big-budget films are made in Hollywood.  That's why I'll steer away from that term.  Think how it would sound like if someone used your home city to describe an industry:

San Diego needs to unscrew their heads & get with the program - yeah I don't like that. :-\

tankexmortis

Oh I completely agree that when people do that they're being idiots. I just think you're blaming the wrong thing. Blaming the language rather than the ignorance doesn't make much sense to me.

And yes, loads of movies are no longer made in, or even around, Hollywood anymore. Unfortunately, language works in such a way that words develop new meanings over time whether we want them to or not. Thus Hollywood means both "Hollywood, CA" (as well as various other Hollywoods around the country) and "them dang movie people".

nensondubois

the following terms:
"test of time" "get with the times" "awesome" "barbaric" "slurp" "soup" so many others.

cubelmariomadness

Quote from: FamicomFreak on May 14, 2010, 08:40:12 pm
The sun...

You are so true! The sun shined in my eyes the whole road trip today.
Sorry folks.

ericj

When people on social networking sites constantly talk about their kids. Nobody cares. Seriously. Stop it.

nintendodork

I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

tankexmortis

Quote from: ericj on June 26, 2010, 10:40:04 pm
When people on social networking sites constantly talk about their kids. Nobody cares. Seriously. Stop it.

People tend to do this to help relatives keep up on the development of their nieces/nephews/grandchildren/cousins etc. Trust me, it's not so bad if you're half a country away and want to hear about what your brother's kids are up to.

Of course I'm sure it depends on the person doing the talking.

Quote from: nintendodork on June 26, 2010, 11:35:53 pm
Quote from: nensondubois on June 24, 2010, 07:09:57 pm
soup
Why soup?  I have no idea why that would annoy you.

Man, soup annoys me, too! It's such a crappy food! "Let's just put a bunch of crap in water and call it a meal, even though it doesn't fill anyone up and has the texture of a diseased bowel movement!"

That said, my mom makes this one Thai soup that's to die for. That's one bowel movement I'm happy to put in my mouth, yes sir!

nensondubois

Quote from: tankexmortis on June 27, 2010, 02:15:04 am
Quote from: ericj on June 26, 2010, 10:40:04 pm

People tend to do this to help relatives keep up on the development of their nieces/nephews/grandchildren/cousins etc. Trust me, it's not so bad if you're half a country away and want to hear about what your brother's kids are up to.

Of course I'm sure it depends on the person doing the talking.

Quote from: nintendodork on June 26, 2010, 11:35:53 pm
Quote from: nensondubois on June 24, 2010, 07:09:57 pm
soup
Why soup?  I have no idea why that would annoy you.

Man, soup annoys me, too! It's such a crappy food! "Let's just put a bunch of crap in water and call it a meal, even though it doesn't fill anyone up and has the texture of a diseased bowel movement!"

That said, my mom makes this one Thai soup that's to die for. That's one bowel movement I'm happy to put in my mouth, yes sir!

No, I like soup, it's the word I don't like. It sounds disgusting.

MaxXimus

Something that really annoys me is when a child tells you they want something, so you make it for them, and then they change their mind and cry about it until you make them something new, then they cry about that one and demand another.

Marlon

:O IT'S MAXIMUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG HE IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Visit My Youtube Channel www.youtube.com/marlondudeful

famiac

Nightstar699

When people bash a game they haven't even played just because the AVGN gave it a negative "review".
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

UglyJoe

That song Signs by Five Man Electrical Band (also covered by Tesla):

QuoteAnd the sign said long haired freaky people need not apply
So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said you look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you'll do
So I took off my hat I said imagine that, huh, me working for you

All the singer has proved is that long haired freaky people are douchebags.  He's reinforcing the negative stereotype held by the boss!