Famicom Disk System (FDS) errors

Started by JC, September 03, 2006, 11:28:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ericj

I've gotten some of my disks that were giving me errors to work by taking the disk apart and wiping the actual disk from the center toward the outer edge with a soft cotton cloth the whole way around--much like you'd wipe a  cd. The disks come apart pretty easily--just gently arc them on the long edge first and then all the way around and insert a thin knife edge into the edge and gently pop the disk apart. Don't force anything, it will come apart with patience.  ;)

nurd

How would I put it together? Its a pirate disk made of cheap-looking plastic. It could break  :-\

ericj

All of my disks snap back together--you're basically just gently snapping it apart. Think Legos here  :P
If when you snap it back together, it doesn't hold, a little drop of superglue on the inside will do the trick--it'll be easy to see where it should go once the casing is open. I've only opened pirate disks (no original's yet), multiple kinds, and haven't broken one yet. They seem more resilient than the cartridges.  ;)

nurd

Tried it, but it didn't work :(

What If I use water, will that harm it?

ericj

I wouldn't use water. What does the disk look like? Pic?

nurd

July 07, 2008, 01:38:48 pm #35 Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:28:23 pm by JC
[Removed]

Picture of disk.

ericj

I've taken apart a few of this type. When you bend/arc the disk, do it until it makes a 'pop' or 'snap' on all four sides--use more caution on the side with the disk reader opening. You should see that one of the edges is opened a little bit--insert the knife edge there and gently pop the disk apart. I used a paring knife since it has a somewhat thin & flexible blade.

nurd

I used the knife that it is leaning against :P

Still no luck, though :(

ericj

If you absolutely can't get it apart, you can try wiping it with a q-tip through the opening. You can rotate the disk with your fingers until you wipe the whole thing. These are the only ways I've ever gotten disks to work, but maybe someone else has a better idea. The disks can be a real pain in the ass.  :-\

nurd

I've gotten it apart, and wiped it off, and tried again just now, but It still give me error 27.

If I were to make a fdsloadr cable, would I still be able to rewrite it, or would the disk just not work?

ericj

Of all the disks that I can't get to work--all but one of them is that same type of black disk. It'd be my guess that they de-magnetize/fail quite often. Any chance your seller would refund you the $ or send you a new disk?

FamicomFreak

I broke one of my disks already man.......this sucks ass!!!
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

ericj

Yep, disks suck. Never know when they're gonna stop working. I figure in about 10 years or so, none of them will work...just like old computer floppy disks.

How'd you break your disk?

JC

It's official for me --
The Disk System sucks big balls.
Huge mammoth balls,
And sucks them hard.

Error this and error that...
                                    ...I'm glad it failed.

nurd

July 21, 2008, 10:55:59 pm #44 Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 11:07:42 pm by nurd

FUCK

Kid Icarus error 27 fuck.

I got so mad at it that  I threw it at a wall. The disk sides then came apart.