"Retro style" USB gamepads!

Started by manuel, June 28, 2008, 04:37:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

manuel

When the Japanese say "retro" in regards to videogames, they mean Famicom!
In 2007 Buffalo released Famicom style USB controllers. Unfortunately production ended and the pads seem to be sold out in a lot of places, but with luck and through a hint from my wife I found them at my local Yamada Denki store. ;D

Tada!!

Big version:

They look very nice and resemble the Famicom controllers very well.
As you can see there are 2 versions and the second one even has a built-in microphone! :D

http://buffalo.jp/products/catalog/item/b/bgc-fc801/
http://buffalo.jp/products/catalog/item/b/bgc-fc802/

UglyJoe

Is the cord longer than 3 feet?  ;D

manuel

I don't have a measure at hand now, but the cord seems rather short to me.  ;) 3 feet seems about right.

corisco

Pretty cool FC style gamepad! I bought one at Akihabara six months ago, it's very easy to find, even now. I bought a Super Famicom style for the same cheap price: 1400 yens ;)
Before I buy a game, I usually test the rom of it in an emulator, playing with this gamepad. This is really good to play the favourite FC/SFC game in emulators :D
^^

133MHz

Quote from: UglyJoe on June 28, 2008, 04:42:43 am
Is the cord longer than 3 feet?  ;D

Well you can get USB extension cables everywhere now! :P

manuel

June 28, 2008, 05:41:52 pm #5 Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 05:47:02 pm by manuel
Nice. I need to find the SFC one, too. :D Do you have a product number or any pics?

corisco

is like this one, but in grey color:

works identical to the original one ;D
^^

manuel

Ah, those are from Elecom.
I read on several pages that many people complain about those...

PatMan33

They also have adapters so that you can plug the actual controllers into a USB port, correct?

Have you guys seen the modified NES and SNES controllers that can be used on the Wii? Check them out if you haven't, it's pretty nifty and doesn't take a whole lot of work.

Kuvio

That is pretty interesting PatMan33, but I don't think I could sacrifice my old gamepads to the Wii! I think the VC controller works just fine.

Those Famicom USB gamepads look sweet.