1992 super famicom challenge cart

Started by jollerancher, September 07, 2006, 03:57:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jollerancher

<a href="http://pixpipeline.com/users/jollerancher"; target="blank">jollerancher's Gallery</a>
this is the only known copy of the 1992 super famicom challenge competition to ever be found. it includes the games super mario world, f-zero, and pilotwings. i bought this and many other games from a former nintendo employee, and according to him this cart was used for 1 time competition between 2 u.s. and 2 japanese players. i was also told that this is the only copy of this game in existance. go to my link to view some screenshots and the rest of my hoard

JC

Got any more details on the competition. What was the point, who was involved, were there any prizes -- and what the heck is the estimated worth of something that cool!

Doc

jollerancher

September 08, 2006, 06:35:08 am #3 Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 06:38:28 am by jollerancher
jollerancher's Gallery
this is the link to my other photo's. i.ll be adding more screenshot photo's soon.

vealchop

A former Nintendo employee??!! Jeez imagine the stuff this guy has! I heard you also got your mits on some Earthbound protos! Isn't it always ironic how the people who work for these companies never care about what they have and just sell it for next to nothing at a garage sale?? I always find that pretty crazy.
-chop

jollerancher

Quote from: vealchop on September 08, 2006, 06:49:05 am
A former Nintendo employee??!! Jeez imagine the stuff this guy has! I heard you also got your mits on some Earthbound protos! Isn't it always ironic how the people who work for these companies never care about what they have and just sell it for next to nothing at a garage sale?? I always find that pretty crazy.
i actually got my mitts on 2 earthbound nes proto's, (7) starfox super weekends, the only know copies of the 1992 nes campus challenge, 1992 snes powerfest competition cart and the super famicom cart. also a 1990 nwc grey cart, snes zelda 3 proto, and a whole bunch of other stuff i dont remember anymore. the crazy part is he was telling me about all the carts he gave away or traded for hockey cards, but i really didnt want to hear about it

Doc

vealchop

"he was telling me about all the carts he gave away or traded for hockey cards"

OH MY GOD!!! now theyre sitting in a basement somewhere i bet. Man I always read about these amazing finds at garage sales and second hand stores, I've yet to make one of those discoveries, hopefully someday.

Was this guy a programmer at Nintendo? Where was the garage sale? in WA?
-chop

nes_pwnerer

JC

Surprisingly perhaps the NWC cart is one of the less rare items he's got there. But it certainly has an aura of greatness around it.

nes_pwnerer

QuoteSurprisingly perhaps the NWC cart is one of the less rare items he's got there.

True, especially since it's the gray one. But it'd still be fun play, trying to see if you could beat the champions record or even hold small contests with your buddies.

And I've never even heardof that SNES challenge cart. It's like the 16-bit NWC, except much rarer.

jollerancher

Quote from: vealchop on September 08, 2006, 02:22:21 pm
"he was telling me about all the carts he gave away or traded for hockey cards"

OH MY GOD!!! now theyre sitting in a basement somewhere i bet. Man I always read about these amazing finds at garage sales and second hand stores, I've yet to make one of those discoveries, hopefully someday.

Was this guy a programmer at Nintendo? Where was the garage sale? in WA?
actually got this during a trip out to the hamptons in ny.. on my way out to my girlfriends mother's house i saw some signs for a garage sale right by her house. when i got out of the car the first thing i saw was 2 tables full of sealed/opened snes/nes games. after buying around 100 games for $40 he told me he used to work at nintendo but to tell you the truth i really didnt care at the time, i was just trying to get all the games in my car before the other people at the garage sale got to them.

once i got them house and figured out what i had gotten that day i went back to his house a few weeks later and asked if he had anything else he might want to sell me. thats when i got the grey nwc, another earthbound, the snes powerfest and super famicom carts. im still waiting on him to dig out what he describes as a big box of games he has in storage for me.

he told me that he was in marketing and that he ran the competitions for nintendo when he lived in washington. he said he was in charge of all the competitions carts, which i assume is why he had these laying in his attic.

JC

At any point did he admit to knowing their worth? I'm just curious if he's clueless or simply doesn't care.

jollerancher

Quote from: JC on September 09, 2006, 09:45:09 am
At any point did he admit to knowing their worth? I'm just curious if he's clueless or simply doesn't care.
the carts i got from him after the original garage sale he knew were worth something(because i told him) but he didnt want to be bothered with selling them. the only carts i have left are the powerfest and super famicom carts which he will get a nice cut of when i do sell them. so far after the original $40 i gave him at the garage sale ive given him close to $2000 so he's happy. i also bought all his baseball and hockey cards off him. ive taken him and his future wife out to eat and i now consider him a friend, meaning if he does find anything else in his attic he will be paid very nicely for it.

JC

Well, good. I'm glad to hear he's not indifferent or clueless. I think it's neat that you found this guy and have been able to help him make some money while making some money yourself. You found some gems and I'm glad that serious collectors of this stuff were able to get their hands on it. I'd hate to have seen the guy keep it till death and then have his family, who might know little about the stuff or not care, dump it out!  You know indifference and cluelessness have happened before!

So, you ought to ask him if he knows anything about the Japanese tournaments (since he had that Super Famicom cart). I'd be interested in asking him a few questions for our interviews page -- of course sometime down the road when you feel you no longer have to "protect" your source. :P