Famicom AV Modification / Mod

Started by silkd, September 08, 2006, 07:42:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Senshi

Hello all, I'm relatively new here and fairly new at modding electrical devices (Famicom etc.) I have a question as to whether or not it would be easiest/ cheapest for me to try a mod on my 1983 Famicom, or if it would be safer to buy an AV Famicom, gut it and replace the innards into my '83 Fami. Otherwise I'm afraid I would need a very step by step process or someone walking me through a modification.

Senshu

August 08, 2007, 07:09:26 am #31 Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 07:17:02 am by Senshu
I suggest you stick with the one you have. I have got the same model and it is pretty straightforward to mod. If you want I can take some good quality pics of the guts and make a simple schematic (it might be useful for famicomworld, as the tutorial on the page explains a mod to that new fami pcb only).

PS ehm quite familiar nickname  ;)

JC

I'm sure Senshi would appreciate that, as would FW. You can send me the pics or just post them here for me to copy. Perhaps I'll add them to our site's AV mod page, which needs to be updated.

Kreese

Does an AV Modification give the original Famicom the same qualtiy of the picture as an AV Famicom?

I've seen some of theese on eBay, one guy selling them for $35 (and with shipping that was $70!). I'm thinking of buying one of thoose, is that something you guys would recommend me to do? Anyway here is the one I'm talking of: eBay!

satoshi_matrix

Quote from: Kreese on August 08, 2007, 09:44:30 pm
Does an AV Modification give the original Famicom the same qualtiy of the picture as an AV Famicom?

I've seen some of theese on eBay, one guy selling them for $35 (and with shipping that was $70!). I'm thinking of buying one of thoose, is that something you guys would recommend me to do? Anyway here is the one I'm talking of: eBay!

I bought one of these Famicoms form that guy. He modds the back removing the RF plug. They are real Famicoms and not Famiclones, but I notice some problems on games that support sterio. Boku Dracula Kun you have to play muted because of a high pitched whine that plays continously thoughout the game. He doesn't make them himself, but apparently has a shop that does so, as if you open up one of these systems it'll have a parts number and a store or company logo on it.

All told, its just a better choice to get an actual AV Famicom than to modd an existing one in my opinion.

Diego

hello, the board of my famicom is different to the one on the tutorial

it looks like this one:

http://www.h3.dion.ne.jp/~kuboken/famicom/famav.html

I have no problem with the video mod but I'm not sure about how to get the stereo mod since I can't locate points in1, in2 and 5v

thank you

Har the cat

Intergalactic cat says: Is this planet Earth?

NHJ

November 05, 2007, 01:27:52 pm #37 Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 12:40:51 pm by JC
Hello,

i'v done the audio part flawlessly however the video part is giving me trouble.

all i got is interferances, i had to use a C33740 as transistor, the 2N3704 is not available in my town.

here's a pic of my soldering if that may help :

[Removed]

thanks in advance.

133MHz

Try a 2n3904 or a 2n2222 (couldn't find any info on the transistor you used).
Also, I see 2,2Kohm (red-red-red) resistors in there, FW's guide says 22K (red-red-orange).

NHJ

hello sorry i did a mistake it's a "C33740" or "BC33740"

the resistors are 22kohm, mesured with my digital multimeter.

here's the datasheet

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.co.kr/datasheet-pdf/view/50731/FAIRCHILD/BC33740.html

133MHz

Have you checked correct transistor pinout? The original is emitter-collector-base and your replacement is collector-base-emitter.

Maybe your camera/lightning is screwing up the colors, I see the resistors red-red-red ???

NHJ

yes i did correct the pinout but tommorow i'll try to pick up one of the transistors you spoke about.

thank you for your help and fast response

NHJ

Quote from: 133MHz on November 05, 2007, 02:30:35 pm
Have you checked correct transistor pinout? The original is emitter-collector-base and your replacement is collector-base-emitter.

Maybe your camera/lightning is screwing up the colors, I see the resistors red-red-red ???

that's maybe the trick,as far as i see on the original on the schematic it is Collector(IN1+Capacitor) Base(resistor +IN2 linked with collector) then  Emitter (where 5V+resistor is going to RCA output).

correct me if i'm wrong until there.

i bought a 2N222 i'll look at the transistor on it's down side, so the pins are turned to my eyes, the upper pin is the Collector, the pin on the left "base" and the bottom pin Emiter.

so i'll solder IN1 to collector, IN2 to base and the output to emmiter.

Arnold101

November 08, 2007, 07:23:59 pm #43 Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 04:05:26 pm by Arnold101
Quote from: Diego on August 29, 2007, 03:35:09 am
hello, the board of my famicom is different to the one on the tutorial

it looks like this one:

http://www.h3.dion.ne.jp/~kuboken/famicom/famav.html

I have no problem with the video mod but I'm not sure about how to get the stereo mod since I can't locate points in1, in2 and 5v

thank you

hi, can i have more detailed photo for the mod? (i have the same board from of that link)  and from that link i can't see clear because photos are very small and my mod don't work, only the audio.

thanks

Arnold101

November 09, 2007, 06:58:12 am #44 Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 04:53:25 pm by Arnold101
now the video work (it was a problem of different transistors pinout)
edit: now audio work  but the volume is low (tv volume at max). is normal? what can i use for make it higher?

and how i can use the famicom on pal television? on my i'll see it in black and white  :(

please reply me  :-\ thx