Famicom 3D System

Started by SeanOrange, December 22, 2010, 08:50:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SeanOrange

Hi boys and girls!

With the 3DS coming out in a few months, Vinnk and I thought it'd be a good idea to do a "Retro 3D Special".  We've picked up some swank items, including the Famicom 3D System!

In my research, I keep running into the page done here on Famicom World.  I think even Kotaku references it in an article they did earlier in the year.  So it's been mentioned before, but I can't wait to cover it in video form!

Any recommendations on what in specific to look at?  I'm still collecting games and such.  I already have Falsion, but for some reason the 3D effect doesn't seem to work so well.  (It's not the glasses -- I've swapped them with the Sega Master System version with no ill effect to test them out.  Whoops!  Maybe I've given away too much!)

We're also looking to pick up some more of the Square games (like JJ) that didn't use the glasses, but still had a cool 3D effect.  I THINK I have a copy of Rad Racer here somewhere...
~Sean(Orange)

UglyJoe

Quote from: SeanOrange on December 22, 2010, 08:50:39 pm
We're also looking to pick up some more of the Square games (like JJ) that didn't use the glasses, but still had a cool 3D effect.  I THINK I have a copy of Rad Racer here somewhere...

But JJ and Rad Racer (well, Highway Star, at least) did use the 3D goggles...

SeanOrange

Really?  It was my understanding that they used the Magenta/Cyan scheme rather than the shutter system.
~Sean(Orange)

ericj

Here's a complete list of the 3D games that use the shutter goggles:

Attack Animal Gakuen
Cosmic Epsilon
Falsion
Famicom Grand Prix II: 3D Hot Rally
Highway Star (Rad Racer)
Jumpin' Jack: Tobidase Daisakusen Part II

SeanOrange

No kiddin'?  So maybe it's just Rad Racer in the US that used something else.

Now I need to track down Highway Star, too!

Thanks for the intel.  I'll see what I can drum up! ;)
~Sean(Orange)

UglyJoe

Tobidase Daisakusen (aka Adventures of the 3D World Runner) used Square's radical red/blue glasses.  That's the only Famicom game I'm aware of that uses them.  The packaging for the glasses actually says Tobidase Megane (Panic Glasses!) on them and features some artwork from the game.  Pics can be found in the List of 3D games thread.

BrianC

Quote from: SeanOrange on December 22, 2010, 09:26:01 pm
Really?  It was my understanding that they used the Magenta/Cyan scheme rather than the shutter system.

I have Highway Star and I can confirm that it's not the Magenta/Cyan scheme. The 3D mode is still optional and is activated the same way (by pressing select), but the image stays the same color and splits when select is pressed rather than becoming magenta/cyan like the US version. 

SeanOrange

Excellent!

Looks like when I'm done, I'll be updating some Wikipedia posts as well!  Hahaha.

Yeah, it looks like the Square titles that came to the US used the red/blue glasses instead.  Programmatically, I bet it wasn't that hard to do once they had the shutter version figured out.

My favorite bit -- flying in the face of these uber-expensive 3D TVs, Blu-Rays, and whatnot -- is that you NEED an older TV just to have the correct refresh rate for the shutter effect to work!  I'm sure the red/blue stuff is fine, but I'd still like to prove that experimentally.

So if I have trouble tracking down some games, can I count on you guys to help out?  Everyone who pitches in gets a special mention! ;)  You've all been really great so far.  Thank you so much!
~Sean(Orange)

linkzpikachu

would it be a bit far out to suggest this as a topic for famicom dojo?
FUCK YEAH SEAKING!

SeanOrange

I'm already planning it for a special, son!  I can't decide if I want to make it one or many parts.  It depends on how much I feel like I need to talk about the specific games.

Hm, I think it could have legs as a multi-part piece...
~Sean(Orange)

Xious

I have the entire (known) run of 3D-System games; which do you still need?

Additionally, like you I noticed that 'Falsion' seems a bit broken: The 3-D sprites tend to split or flicker on both of my personal sets of goggles.

SeanOrange

Hahaha, what? Are you offering?

Falsion is the only game I have right now.

I don't need to own any of this stuff, just use it and capture video.
~Sean(Orange)

Xious

Quote from: SeanOrange on December 24, 2010, 10:36:05 pm
Hahaha, what? Are you offering?

Falsion is the only game I have right now.

I don't need to own any of this stuff, just use it and capture video.

A long and detailed letter is waiting in your FW inbox. :)
Feel free to ring if you want; best time is after sunset CST to ensure I am fully conscious.

skyrunner14

You can bet I'll be looking forward to this! Looking at this topic, there really weren't that many NES/FC games to use 3D effects, huh?
Would you please sign my petition? Hopefully, it will get Another Code R released in America. The link is here: http://www.gopetition.com/online/28991.html

SeanOrange

It was such an indicator of "meh" that it makes you wonder why they thought the Virtual Boy was a good idea.
~Sean(Orange)