Contacts at Nintendo!

Started by PatMan33, December 16, 2008, 09:57:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PatMan33

I was wondering, does this site have any contacts at Nintendo? It would be a valuable asset to have a go-to person at Nintendo that could help us out with stuff. Yeah it sounds silly but hey, can't hurt to ask, right?

manuel

A former classmate of my wife now works at Nintendo, but she doesn't even know him very well, so unfortunately that won't become a contact.
Even if you had a contact, those guys have to sign contracts and were probably been sworn to secrecy.

What we could try is getting in contact with their PR department or so.

JC

True, PR might be willing to help. But of course, we'd be asking questions about Famicom, not the latest Nintendo products, Wii, etc. They might not be too willing to dig into files and warehouses to tell us what they've got. It'd be cool to find a contact, though.

I've always wanted to try to track down the dude who was billed as Nintendo's advisor for The Wizard. It's in the credits, but I always forget to write the name down.

Lorfarius

Quote from: JC on December 16, 2008, 10:43:12 pm
I've always wanted to try to track down the dude who was billed as Nintendo's advisor for The Wizard. It's in the credits, but I always forget to write the name down.

Its Davy Brooks who was Technical Advisor for Nintendo.
My own Retro gaming YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

Doc

Unfortunately, it's not easy. It would be wonderfully beneficial, but not at all easy. NES websites from years ago had major major trouble finding anyone, even the famous ones like NES World and The Warpzone. Usually they could get contacts from companies that made games for Nintendo, but not Nintendo themselves.

UglyJoe

My sister-in-law used to work for Turbine (Asheron's Call, LotR Online).  She's not in the game industry anymore, though.

UglyJoe

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on December 17, 2008, 09:57:20 pm
Because it sucks? That'd be my guess.  Do you know exactly what she did?

She did quality assurance stuff and some IT work.  I'm not entirely sure.  Last Christmas, as we were all sitting down for dinner, she got paged.  One of the games they were working on (LotR Online, I think) was going through a stress test (because everyone was on vacation and just wanted to play MMOs, I guess) and a bunch of the servers went down.  She had to spend the next hour or two on her laptop trying to fix stuff.

I'm not sure if she was laid off or if she had to get a new job when she and my brother moved.

michaelthegreat

It's really hard to find anyone who had info from the past eras. Memories are tricky things and not many people are there for that long of a time. Then also, the things you remember the most are the things that were most important to you. That often isn't the information we want..  Not only that, but the contacts I have are contacts I buy from so I don't really want to spread them around... :)

PatMan33

Has anyone tried calling up Nintendo's HQ for info? I mean, I know it's public info so there's probably a ton of people who've tried it but it can't hurt. When I asked Nintendo themselves they sent me here. May not be much, but it's a start.

*shrug*

I guess it depends how serious you are about it. Someone there knows the answers to some of the questions that people like us can't answer.

manuel

What exactly would you ask a person if it was your contact at Nintendo?

Throw in some questions as examples.

PatMan33

Well what initially got me going on this thing was the discussion about the disk writers. It seemed like there was a glaring gap in the knowledge people had about it. My questions would probably be fairly basic about how the device operated and what was inside as well as the ultimate fate of them any possible lines on acquiring one.

But I mean a contact isn't just a one-time thing. Having a contact would be great because we can go back to them.

Juggalo/Hulkamaniac

We could ask them if they'll be uploading any FC-only games to the VC... like that Splatterhouse game I like.
"My No. 1 band, Rush, never even split up. Greatness always stays together." - Matt Striker

nintendodork

Quote from: Juggalo/Hulkamaniac on December 20, 2008, 07:12:05 pm
We could ask them if they'll be uploading any FC-only games to the VC... like that Splatterhouse game I like.
They already have at least one Splatterhouse game on the Virtuole
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

michaelthegreat

To find a contact who will help you with those types of things is to find a contact who really is already into those types of things. Good luck...

manuel

Well said.

People who were in charge at that time are now probably in higher ranks or already quit their jobs.

And the new guys probably don't know that much about older stuff.