RF to AV converter?

Started by Jearb, December 18, 2008, 12:00:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jearb

Hey. I'm very, very new here and wanted to know if any of you guys know of a (rather) inexpensive RCA converter for the Famicom I'm going to order, so I can plug it into my new TV. Even if you don't have a specific product, any advice would be great.

Thanks!
Jearb

133MHz

Use one of these:

You probably already own one, and if not, you can pick one up at a flea market for a couple bucks. It doesn't need to be fully operational (the most common fault is the tape mechanism - which you're not going to use anyway). You can get 'broken' VCRs for dirt cheap which will work perfectly for your intended use.

Jearb

So you just plug it into that, and plug that into the TV?

133MHz

Yes. Make sure that your VCR can tune into cable channels.

Jearb

Okie. Should work. Gotta check my VCR when I get home.

nensondubois

Is there a converter that takes my RF adapter and converts it into AV? instead of modding my Famicom to have AV out for clear picture quality and sound above the frequency range of 50Hz?

nintendodork

I don't think there is, but anyone correct me if I'm wrong...

Because I need one for my 2600 :P
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

xyzzy32

Sadly, no, you'll have  to modify it for AV output. However, this process actually isn't nearly as difficult as this site's guide makes it out to be. There's a way to solder just a few wires for a quick and easy modification. sorry to get your hopes ip though, as I'm not experienced in the matter I probably couldn't do more than show you pictures of my fami's mod.

133MHz

There's one, probably you own it: a VCR.
Plug the Famicom into the antenna input and the RCA outputs into your TV, turn on the VCR and set its tuner to channel 95 or 96. But in the end it's best to AV mod your console, the increase in picture quality is really really worth it.

nensondubois

That's what I'm doing right now but it has bad quality using the VCR method. I don't really want to modify my Famicom.

nintendodork

Indeed it is.  My Famicom looks and sounds great, even though I bought it A/V Modded :P It's still awesome

I had one question though..

Does the FM Synth chip still work when I use a FDS w/ my A/V Modded Famicom ???  I've heard somewhere it doesn't..
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

133MHz

Depends on how the mod is done. If the audio is taken from the audio output pin on the motherboard then the extra sound would be intact, but if the audio is taken right from the CPU pins (as a stereo mod) then you won't get any extra audio, unless you mix it back in with some resistors.

nensondubois

What ohmic value resistors, where do they go and how many?

nintendodork

Quote from: 133MHz on January 16, 2009, 05:08:45 pm
Depends on how the mod is done. If the audio is taken from the audio output pin on the motherboard then the extra sound would be intact, but if the audio is taken right from the CPU pins (as a stereo mod) then you won't get any extra audio, unless you mix it back in with some resistors.
Mine has 3 connectors, red, yellow, and white...but I can just use the yellow and white...so would it still work?

133MHz

But is your Famicom stereo-modded or it just outputs the same signal through both RCA jacks?