Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 14, 2019, 08:47:31 AM
Home Famicom World Search Calendar Login Register

+  Famicom World
|-+  Misc.
| |-+  Off-Topic Chat (Moderators: manuel, L___E___T)
| | |-+  Last Movie/Show You Saw?
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] Print
Author Topic: Last Movie/Show You Saw?  (Read 1175109 times)
Jedi QuestMaster
Jedi Knight
FW Legacy
FamicomBox

« Reply #2430 on: October 12, 2019, 02:31:34 AM »

2 is better over all than 1 but has the worst part out of all, the romance
Yeah. I was expecting Star Wars not Star Love Story. This used to be my favorite one, but now I'm remembering why it wasn't so great. The love part is so overbearing and encapsulates Anakin's motive for turning to the dark side: to save Padme from dying. And here I thought it would've been his upbringing as a slave in a universe where slavery was supposed to be abolished while the senate does nothing to help his mother while he's forced to obey the Jedi council who tells him his feelings for his mother is his weakness while Chancellor Palpatine is angry at the Jedi and the senate for not seeing things his way and getting anything done.

I always hated the way Anakin becomes a Sith Lord in Episode 3. It felt completely unnatural and a spur of the moment.

Now that you mention it, Episode I did rely on practical effects more, probably because CG was in its early stages, but I have to admit, I was weirded out by that Yoda! Glad to see CGI Yoda looking faithful. I heard the original puppet was poorly stored and damaged, which is a big mistake because George Lucas always made it clear he was planning prequels and Yoda would, no doubt, be part of that.

Rey is pretty character-less if you ask me but that's another story for another day).
I chalk that up to the writing, and that's very regrettable because I think Daisy Ridley is a very good actor and the best parts of the new trilogy are the Kylo Ren and Rey moments.

But I don't want to talk about the new trilogy, because I have nothing but contempt for the Last Jedi.

portnoyd
Famiclone

« Reply #2431 on: October 13, 2019, 12:28:15 PM »

Rey being a blank slate might be more of a trick to make her a cipher for the audience, as opposed to her own hero. Their logic could have been the younger generation doesn't have the nostalgia for Star Wars like their parents, so they had to make it accessible. Sadly, things are crafted not so much to entertain and wonder, but to hook as much as possible.

The new trilogy is fine. Didn't need to exist but you know, money. I'm curious to see how it resolves (and whatever jumps they make to link it to the first six movies), but it's a watch and move on with my life thing. At my age, few new movies crack my rewatch list and 7 & 8 aren't that. If anything, I will watch for set pieces (like Luke's showdown in Cool and jump around and then turn it off.

I watched the first six movies with my son. I intentionally fell asleep during Phantom Menace because the cringe was unreal. How did Lucas get such bad performances out of Liam Neeson and Natalie Portman? It would have been interesting to see a different director's effect on Hayden Christensen. I am convinced that Empire works so well because of Irvin Kershner's directing than anything else. I do not think Episode 3 is bad like 1 & 2 but it's still not great. The overarching storyline just isn't cohesive enough.
Jedi QuestMaster
Jedi Knight
FW Legacy
FamicomBox

« Reply #2432 on: October 15, 2019, 12:51:04 AM »

The new trilogy is fine. Didn't need to exist but you know, money. I'm curious to see how it resolves (and whatever jumps they make to link it to the first six movies), but it's a watch and move on with my life thing.
But that's the problem; Star Wars had always been rewatchable classics. Same with Terminator. I know it's no one's right to demand that top level quality of your favorite franchise, but it's still sad to see this happen. So I won't see the final Episode in theaters (I saw Last Jedi in theaters... blech Sad I wish I would've seen TFA on the big screen, that was okay).

I intentionally fell asleep during Phantom Menace because the cringe was unreal.
So you admit that it was intentional? Grin You physically slept because of your own bias against this film? Grin Not because it bored you to sleep? Wink

How did Lucas get such bad performances out of Liam Neeson and Natalie Portman?
What is so wrong about Liam Neeson's acting? As for Natalie Portman, she is stale, but it seems intentional when she's Queen Amidala (probably so Keira Knightly/Sabé can replicate her easier), but outside of that there's no excuse.

I am convinced that Empire works so well because of Irvin Kershner's directing than anything else.
Completely agree. It would've been interesting to see George continue to give the director chair to someone else every single Episode. This could've finally been Spielberg's chance to direct a Star Wars flick, but he didn't want to? Undecided

Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: