Mii's for FDS

Started by UglyJoe, January 04, 2009, 09:06:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

UglyJoe

This is old news, but I just found out about it and don't see it on the forums anywhere.  In the 2007 GDC Nintendo Keynote, Miyamoto talks about the origins of the Mii system.  Apparently it was prototyped back in the 80s for the FDS :o

I clipped the Game Trailers video to just the relevant part:

http://ximwix.net/storage/fdsmii.avi

Paul-FC

yeah i saw that on youtube
its pretty cool!

JC

Wow, that's awesome! Wish someone had gotten a hold of that back in the day and put it on pirate disks or something. This doesn't surprise me, though. Nintendo was always way ahead with its development, with maybe the best example being the PowerGlove, also similar to today's Wii.

satoshi_matrix

Was it Nintendo that devoloped the PowerGlove? I always thought it was Mattel, the toy maker.

UglyJoe

Yeah, Nintendo wasn't involved in the development of the Powerglove.  They just licensed it.

JC

Hey, good catch. Don't know why I didn't think of that. And, in Japan it was PAX, not Mattel. I don't know what the relationship was between those two.

Doc

Me neither. For a while I thought that maybe PAX was some kind of version of Mattel, but that's not the case. ???

satoshi_matrix

What else has PAX made? I've never heard of the company before.

JC

I've only seen their name on the PowerGlove.

Doc

Probably a company moonlighting under a different name? ???

JC

Well, you can find so many sealed PowerGloves, so I wouldn't be surprised if the company went under because of it.

UglyJoe

The Wikipedia article claims that PAX marketed it as simply an alternate controller instead of a controller + games package (since Bad Street Brawler and Super Glove Ball never saw Famicom releases).  Because of that, PAX went out of business.  No cited references, though, so it's all speculation.

NintendoKing

I have that program on a rom... I am not even kidding. I found that awhile back on a Thailand site, and thought it was funny to mess with face making.

Odd.

vgthing

I want the ROM too... :-\
But I know it's probably against the rules for you to hand ROMs out on the forum right?
could you e-mail it to me? ;D
I'M GIVE UP YOUR APPELLATION'S TECHNICAL MONKEY

NintendoKing

I have sent the rom to JC, so that he can test it out.

I apparently found the rom back in 2005. Heh.