April 28, 2024, 08:41:01 am

DS Touchscreen Lifespan ?

Started by Mindfreak, January 07, 2009, 02:10:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mindfreak

Hello all,

I was just wondering...how long should an average touchscreen last ?

I clean my screens before and after I play...and I use a screen protector...

Thanks for your time.

satoshi_matrix

long enough that you shouldn't ever have to worry about it. I f I had to guess, I'd say somewhere around 15 years or so.

Mindfreak

:o Wow...I was thinking a year or two... :o

Lorfarius

I still have my DS from launch and Ive never bothered with screen protectors. Its been poked, prodded and even had pens dragged across it. Not had a single issue so far so I would say they are pretty durable.
My own Retro gaming YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

PatMan33

As long as you aren't jabbing it or using a sewing needle as a stylus it should last a good long time. If it breaks get a replacement, they aren't very difficult to swap out.

133MHz

Question: Is the touchscreen surface the screen itself? If it does, the touchscreen should last forever, because screen wear shouldn't affect touchscreen operation. If the touchscreen panel is a complete piece that goes over the LCD screen, then wear is an important issue.

PatMan33

No, the DS uses a touch-sensitive film that lies on top of the LCD screen. You can see the screen on the bottom right.

One of my hobbies... :-[

manuel

I'm using my first DS for about 4 years now and there are no issues yet.
As long as you don't try to destroy it it should last you a lifetime.

satoshi_matrix

In my opinion the whole issue of how long a screen should last isn't something you should ever have to worry about, and if for some reason it did become an issue, you can easily buy replacement screens or for that matter, simply replace your DS. Case and point, my DS Lite has a noticeable scratch around the top of the touchscreen from repeated heavy heavy Ouendan and EBA sessions. Its enough that you can feel the groove of the scratch as you move the stylus over the spot. And it still works perfectly.

NintendoNerds

January 13, 2009, 06:31:07 pm #9 Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 07:12:53 pm by NintendoNerds
I have quite a few games that use the touch screen. One of the most "touch screen-demanding" games I have is Sonic & Mario at the Olympics. I am happy to say that I haven't had any issues with the screen yet. As someone mentioned earlier, it has a protective film so it should never be a problem unless the screen is intentionally abused.

nintendodork

I bought both versions of the U.S DS on their launch days, and I haven't had any screen problems with either of them...

Although my DS Lite power switch gets stuck sometimes..
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat