Glitches/Easter Eggs

Started by nintendodork, February 17, 2009, 03:39:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Zero

I find glitches/oddities in video games very interesting.  :D Especially that Justin Bailey code in Metroid. From what I have read I understand the whole thing was just a fluke, but STILL how the heck did someone come up with that? We didn't even have the internet or password generator programs back then. XD

Well, I had a few unexplained glitches happen to me back in the day on the NES. The first one was Zelda. I was watching my cousin play and there was a boss out in the world map near the heart container. I made a screen shot to show you what I mean:

This isn't the ORIGINAL screen shot of what happened since it was several years ago. I just made this one real quick in MS paint. Yeah, can't figure that one out lol. He was able to kill the boss to get the heart container.

Another strange one was with Simon's Quest. I remember turning the game on and just leaving it on the title screen for a long time. Then out of no where this screen shows up where you see the back of Simon and some text on the screen. The text suddenly stopped and the game just froze up. I never beat that game so I could never figure out what the heck that was all about. It wasn't til years later, I found out on the internet that it was actually the ending.  :o Now why would the game just suddenly display the ending just by leaving it on the title screen? I tried to recreate that one, but nope. Just a strange glitch I guess...

skyrunner14

Once when I was playing MOTHER, I was traveling through the swamp when all of a sudden the graphics began to glitch and the screen began to move on it's own. Then, I got into a battle. IT was normal. But, as soon as I won, the oddities began. I couldn't move, I couldn't see my characters, the screen had shifted to the middle of the ocean, and the were glowing (yes, glowing) garbage tiles ALL over. Oddly enough, I could still access the A button menu. So, I used the Onyx Hook. When I used it, I got to Magicant and everything was totally normal, as if the incident never happened. I continued playing, and this glitch never happened again. The end!

...Long, I know.  :-[
Would you please sign my petition? Hopefully, it will get Another Code R released in America. The link is here: http://www.gopetition.com/online/28991.html

Blue Protoman

Were you playing MOTHER on a cart?  Something might have been up with the hardware.  I never saw this glitch when I played EB0 on my GP2X.
BP's Domain
Visit my site today!
http://bpsdomain.b1.jcink.com/

nintendodork

BUMP

I was playing Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, and this weird glitch happened... It was in the middle of round one, and I was fighting Glass Joe.  I knocked him down, he got back up, and the clock stopped as if the round was over, but I still had over a minute left!  We went into round 2, and Joe didn't gain any HP back!  So, when we went back to fight, I knocked him out in one jab.  The fight was normal after that.  Luckily I caught this on my camera when I was preparing for my gameplay video of that game.  Lately, for whatever reason, my camera won't record the sound sometimes in a video, so I was testing that.  I just decided to fight Joe and watch the video when I was done!  I'll post the video on Youtube along with my gameplay video later tonight.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

nensondubois

May 30, 2009, 10:46:52 am #19 Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 01:59:15 pm by nensondubois
Quote from: Forever Zero on March 17, 2009, 11:44:17 pm
I find glitches/oddities in video games very interesting.  :D Especially that Justin Bailey code in Metroid. From what I have read I understand the whole thing was just a fluke, but STILL how the heck did someone come up with that? We didn't even have the internet or password generator programs back then. XD

Well, I had a few unexplained glitches happen to me back in the day on the NES. The first one was Zelda. I was watching my cousin play and there was a boss out in the world map near the heart container. I made a screen shot to show you what I mean:

This isn't the ORIGINAL screen shot of what happened since it was several years ago. I just made this one real quick in MS paint. Yeah, can't figure that one out lol. He was able to kill the boss to get the heart container.

Another strange one was with Simon's Quest. I remember turning the game on and just leaving it on the title screen for a long time. Then out of no where this screen shows up where you see the back of Simon and some text on the screen. The text suddenly stopped and the game just froze up. I never beat that game so I could never figure out what the heck that was all about. It wasn't til years later, I found out on the internet that it was actually the ending.  :o Now why would the game just suddenly display the ending just by leaving it on the title screen? I tried to recreate that one, but nope. Just a strange glitch I guess...

Did the boss make DPCM sounds?

Jedi Master Baiter

It looks like your text is in the quote, there, Nenson dubois. :P

nintendodork

Here's the video that goes with that glitch.  No sound, sorry. :-\
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-Og6TFpcFM
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

nensondubois

I'll have to try it out on Zelda Collection and the GBA Classic NES port. I would like to know if it is present on the Famicom Mini collection as well but i don't have that version.

japanfreak

BTW: Justin Bailey works fine -.-

nintendodork

ericj

How is the Zelda thing a glitch? I don't understand. Link can shoot arrows, or if his energy is full he can shoot swords when he has the silver sword.

japanfreak

-.-... Its cause the boss shouldnt stand there -.-

skyrunner14

Quote from: Blue Protoman on March 21, 2009, 08:07:35 pm
Were you playing MOTHER on a cart?  Something might have been up with the hardware.  I never saw this glitch when I played EB0 on my GP2X.

Nope, it was on actual hardware. Me and emulators simply don't mix. Not my thing. AT ALL. Really sucks considering the M3 translation I may never get a chance to play...  :'(
Would you please sign my petition? Hopefully, it will get Another Code R released in America. The link is here: http://www.gopetition.com/online/28991.html

nintendodork

Not really a glitch, I'd call it more of a cameo, anyway, I was playing Bio Miracle Bokkute Upa, and I noticed something.

Orbulon's ship is an inflated pig from BMBU!

Wow, I couldn't find a picture of just Orbulon's ship.

nensondubois

October 28, 2009, 08:03:45 am #29 Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 08:28:42 am by nensondubois
Super Mario World

This is prone to be interesting.

Level select:
Press Select, Select, Select, Select, Select, B, B while map mode. Then press Select to enter Level select screen.

JY Company's Easter Egg:
Press Up, Right, A, Down, Right, B, Up, Left while game pause.Super Mario World.

At player select menu press Left + A, Up + A, Right + A, Down + A, Right + A, Left + A, Down + A.

Famicom Disk System BIOS

Internal test:
Hold Select + Start then press Reset. Messages "PRAM CRAM" and "PORT" will appears. If internal RAM test fails, instead "OK" will be displayed first bad RAM address.

Secret message:
Hold Select + Start, press Reset, then in next two seconds release Select + Start and hold Right + A. Message "2C33 INTERNAL ROM PROGRAMED BY TAKAO SAWANO NINTENDO CO.,LTD. DEV.NO.2" will appears.

Fire Emblem

(UNI) Sound test:
When between battles after saving current game, when asked, select "no continue" option to end current game. After that press Up, Down, Left, Right, Up, A to enter sound test mode.

Fire Emblem Gaiden

Easy mode:
Hold Select + Start and select the "New Game" option. Additional menu will appears.

Galaxian

Music player:
Power console then press Reset 44 times, then press and hold A + B on second controller then press Reset one more time. Screen will changes, at left side of screen will fall flashing in music rhytm tile, until it reaches bottom of the screen you can press Reset again, each 45 pressings will change music. There is total 5 melodies hidden between graphic tiles in CHR ROM. For last two melodies offset in CHR ROM shifted by 128 bytes, or 8 tiles from starting play offset, so you will hear some strange "music" while first 8 tiles with normal graphics will play. It is possible to trigger this player on in another way. Reset system only 10 times after power on, then shout in microphone on second controller of Famicom console 4 times. This need additional 34 resetting before reaching second melody.

Hidden text:
There is hidden copyright text in ROM: "COPR.1984 NAMCO HARUHISA UDAGAWA".

Gimmick!, Mr. Gimmick

Music sampler:
At the title screen hold Select, press Start.

Guardian Legend, The, Guardic Gaiden

Sound test:
Hold down A + B then press the Reset button.

View game texts:
When you enter the 1st room of the labyrinth right after finishing first action level press Select to enter map mode then press and hold Select again, now by pressing B button you can view all game texts.

Secret passwords:
TGL   - No action sequences (second quest)

Journey to Silius, Raf World
Sound test and Extra 9 continue:
Press B 33 times then Start at the title screen. A sound test option will be available. Additionally, nine continues will be available when game play begins.

GameGenie:
XTUSKTAV   -   Activates the game's stage select. A or B changes the starting level, and Start starts the game.
Info from Chris Covell
TEXINTIA   -   Additionally enables final boss selection at stage select screen.
Info from Chris Covell

Jurassic Park

Level Skip:
At title screen press Down, Right, Left, Down, Right, Left, Down, Right, Left, Down, Right, Left. A sound will confirm correct code entry. Pause game any time and press Select to skip level.

Hidden text:
There is a hidden copyright text in ROM: "MUSIC DRIVER V1.0 (C)JONATHAN DUNN & OCEAN SOFTWARE".

Mappy Kids

(UNI) Sound test:
This game has a very strange cheat enabling procedure. While title screen awaits pressing any button before starting demo sequence, holding some buttons increase internal counters which will compare with some values after starting a game. Counters are 8-bit values that cycles repeatedly from 00 to FF. Each cycle takes up about 8 seconds. For enabling cheat you should hold corresponding buttons for some seconds each in any order.
There is 4 counters and 4 buttons to hold. First one is button A on second controller, needed counter value is between B4..F0. Second one is B button on the same second controller, needed counter value between 3C..78. The rest buttons is on first controller. This is Select button, value between 78..B4. And finally B button, value between 5A..78.
For enabling Sound test mode you need hold on second controller A button about 5-7 seconds, B button about 3-4 seconds and Select on the first controller about 4-5 seconds then press Start on first controller.

Extra 20 lives:
As described above you should hold B button on the first controller at title screen about 3-4 seconds then start the game.

Meitantei Holmes - Kiri no London Satsujin Jiken

Sound test:
Press A button at title screen 20 times.

Hidden text:
There is a hidden copyright text in ROM: "1987. Another Ltd.".

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, Punch-Out!!

Secret passwords:
075-541-6113   -   "Busy signal".
800-422-2602   -   "Busy signal" of Nintendo's customer service phone number. (Appearantly this was another inside joke at Nintendo along with the K.K. song.
206-882-2040   -   "Busy signal".
135-792-4680   -   "Another World Circuit" access. To enable this password hold Select and press A + B when you entered it.
106-113-0120   -   "Credits". To enable this password hold Select and press A + B when you entered it.
007-373-5963   -   "Dream Fight" with Mike Tyson.

Parodius (E), Parodius da!

Full power-up:
Pause game and press Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Left, Right, Right, A, B, A, B.

R.C. Pro-Am 2

Secret words:
Enter one of following words as player name:
NES   -   Extra $5000
DMG   -   Extra continue

Shinobi

Level select:
Press Down, Down, Left, Right, Up, Up, Start at the title screen.

Somari, Sonic 3D Blast 5, Sonic 3D Blast 6

Debug mode:
Press Left, Down, B, A, Right, Up, A, B, Up, Down, Up, Down at the title screen, you will may select level and play music.

Super Xevious - Gump no Nazo

Level select:
Start new game, before destroying any enemy press Start to pause game. Then press Up, Down, Left, Right, A, B. "Enter Password" screen appears. Press Left or Right to select digit, press A or B to select number.
6974   -   Level 2
1797   -   Level 3
5328   -   Level 4
3580   -   Level 5
6541   -   Level 6
3024   -   Level 7

Wario no Mori, Wario's Woods

Hard mode:
Highlight "vs. computer mode" and hold Left, then press Start.

Xevious (Japan version)

Debug mode:
At title screen on the second controller hold A or B buttons and press Right, Right, Right, Right, Right, Right, Right, Right, Right, Up, Up, Left, Left, Down, Down, Down, Down, Down, Down, Down, Down, Down. At right top screen corner appears numbers line. By pressing Left or Right on the second controller you can select one of 8 digits, and by pressing A or B switch it to 0 or 1. Some details still unknown for me, but these options can enable invulnerability or something more. In US version this cheat was left, but code does nothing

Zanac

Secret message:
Beat the game and when the fairy stops press A + B on controllers one and two at the same time. Message "SEE YOU AGAIN IN GUARDIC." will appears at bottom of the screen.

Ship power-up:
Hold A + B buttons on first controller at main game menu then press Start.

Sound test:
Hold A + B buttons on first controller then press Reset.

Level select:
Press Reset 13 times. Press Start to go in main game menu. Press Left or Right to choose level then choose "continue" option and press Start. To start with 11 or 12 level hold additionally Up on the second controller. Do the same if you want to continue game after 10th level.

Debug mode:
This mode available on US cart but only with help of Family keyboard, so you can't use it on you NES system, but can do it on emulator or on famicom with pirated US cart. Press Reset 9 times, and at the main title screen type "COMPILE" and press Enter on the keyboard. A sound will confirm correct code entry. From now, you can use debug funtions while pause game. Press Select on the first controller for selecting a weapon. On the keyboard press Clr to get 255 lives, Ins to warp to next area or Del to warp to previous area.