Is buying old PCs for gaming worth it in 2009?

Started by Agent X, February 22, 2009, 02:10:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Agent X

Seriously.  As I read through my back issues (or the ones I have been able to pick up at Barnes & Noble) of RETRO GAMER, I find myself interested in stuff like the ZX Spectrum and stuff of that era.  Back then there was no way my father was going to buy ANY kind of computer, and we didn't even get a computer until 1991, which was a Tandy 1000 IBM clone from Radio Shack.  When I read these articles I find myself wanting to track down all these games that people in the UK and I'm guessing the US played and enjoyed... but just how hard would it be to track down everything I'd want?  (Yes I know about eBAY)  Is the money involved in such a thing even worth it?  I like old stuff and I do feel kind of cheated I never got to play half of what I read about in these mags, as for me it was purely 2600, Famicom/NES, Super Fami/SNES, Mega Drive, PC-Engine/TG-16.
Gaming peaked in the 8-Bit & 16-Bit eras...
all else is just rehashes and insanity passing
itself off as "gaming."
~Agent X

son_ov_hades

I've always wanted to pick up a C64 and MSX. These old computers can be emulated on a modern computer very easily, but there's just something about having old technology that no one cares about anymore.

L___E___T

I think it's only worth doing if you remember it, if you had them at the time.  Otherwise I'd suggest emulating them on wii and/or DS, DS does spectrum and C64 great and Wii does MSX and C64 even better - I certainly wouldn't suggest going out and buying all that kit, it is expensive and cumbersome without the nostalgia I think.

You don't get the keyboard, but let's be honest keyboards are sub-par when it comes to those games.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

nurd

I'd like an MSX if Metal Gears 1 and 2 weren't rare and ridiculously expensive.

Rogles

I want an MSX... They're so expensive though....
( ยด_ゝ`)

133MHz

I have an MSX2 but it just shows a black screen and nothing else. I'm afraid that an important, custom, non-easily-replaceable chip like the MSX-Video IC is fried :'(

I absolutely love tinkering with old computer stuff, not just for the games or the nostalgia but for the sake of doing it and learning more about technology, but that has to do a lot with my personal interests.

nintendodork

Quote from: nurd on February 22, 2009, 05:09:11 pm
I'd like an MSX if Metal Gears 1 and 2 weren't rare and ridiculously expensive.
Do you have MGS for the Famicom?
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

nurd

No, I have the NES version, though.

Once I get the gameboy one, and MGS4, I'll have every MG game released in the United States :D

Except the PSP ones. I dont count those. xD

shoggoth80

"I've always wanted to pick up a C64 and MSX. These old computers can be emulated on a modern computer very easily, but there's just something about having old technology that no one cares about anymore."

Seconded. I find it much more fun to hunt down, and collect for older systems. This includes computers. We didn't have a "real" computer until like 1993. Had an Atari 800XL for a couple games for many years... but my folks never expanded it.

Now I have a few Atari 8 bit computers, a modest library, and a couple Atari 16 bit computers, and a more considerably sized library. The fun is in the hunt, and you probably DID miss out on some great games.
However, I find that if I didn't grow up playing it/infatuated with it, it isn't quite as fun to collect for. That doesn't mean it is not fun. Not by a long shot... just that some stuff gets priority in the collecting aspect of the hobby.

Agent X

Well I'm not made of money anyhow, I mostly wanted to see what others might think about tracking down all this stuff.  In the long run I guess it wouldn't make much sense, especially since most of these games are emulated to perfection on modern PCs I'm sure.  I just find the pictures and descriptions of these older games is just awesome.  I can't say I'd be in a mad rush to want to wait for some cassette tape based game to load for 5 to 10minutes... but I dunno, it's just the aura of something I missed out on I guess.  I bought a ColecoVision back in 2004 and still have hella fun playing MR.DO! and a few other titles and I missed out on that back in the day too, as it was only A2600 and Nintendo for the longest of times.

Think I'll just go the emulation route on this.  But mucho thanks for the responses.
itself off as "gaming."
~Agent X

satoshi_matrix

Agent X, are you able to buy Retro Gamer right off the shelf? How much does it cost you? Here in Canada, there is only a single bookstore that imports it each month, and they charge $17 per issue which is too much for my measly college pocketbook.

Agent X

Quote from: satoshi_matrix on February 22, 2009, 10:46:26 pm
Agent X, are you able to buy Retro Gamer right off the shelf? How much does it cost you? Here in Canada, there is only a single bookstore that imports it each month, and they charge $17 per issue which is too much for my measly college pocketbook.

Here it's available at Barnes & Noble Books for $11.95USD per issue.  I pick it up when I can, along with EDGE Magazine.  It seems the Brits have a bit more in-depth no nonsense approach to their game journalism than my fellow Americano publications.  Practically don't read anything (gaming wise) done from the US.  Even my wife only reads her Cosmo Mags and stuff from the UK.
itself off as "gaming."
~Agent X