March 28, 2024, 05:30:58 am

Last thing you did

Started by nintendodork, March 01, 2009, 07:53:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

P

Ouch! That must be one of their special moves. Sousetsuken is truly frightening!

BTW I agree with the author that Double Dragon II and Return of Double Dragon are really good games and the two best games in the series. I rented the PAL version of Super Double Dragon back in the day, and I remember it as harder than I think the Japanese version is now, and that knives and grenades were far more dangerous (knives took half your life). But I don't remember that you couldn't catch boomerangs, although it was kind of hard. I might have to compare US and PAL versions sometime.

Jedi Master Baiter

I've yet to play Super Double Dragon for some reason. It might have something to do with not ever beating Battletoads & Double Dragon. :-[

Strange that this isn't Double Dragon IV. ??? It's got its own plot.

Does the SNES game play anything like Double Dragon Advance? Because I liked that a lot!

P

Battletoads & Double Dragon is more of a Battletoads game than a Double Dragon game. They just borrowed the characters (although they mixed up the names of Roper and Machine Gun Willy) and the story does not really affect Double Dragon games. Also hoping to beat a Battletoads game is quite ambitious. :)

Yeah the new Double Dragon IV game only acknowledges the first three games. That they ignore games like Shadow Falls is understandable, but Return of Double Dragon is really a unique and great game in the series and should be canon. I'm not sure where it belongs in the storyline though.

I had to test Double Dragon Advance before I could answer. From what it looks though, that is a remake of the first game (arcade version), and plays much more like that as well. The only similarities I could find is that you can do a low kick (DOWN+KICK) and that it has a dedicated block button, something that I only remember seeing in Return of Double Dragon before the GBA game. In Return you could however block and do an armlock grab to your opponent (a different grab from the normal head grab) and do a number of new moves from there, something I couldn't find in the GBA game.
Return is a Double Dragon game alright, but it introduces lots of new moves, characters (including the new Black/Shadow Warriors leader Duke) and some new weapons like bo, boomerang and nunchaku (well nunchaku was in DDIII as well but not as a weapon you pick up).

It looks like the game was actually released in USA before Japan, and the Japanese version was therefore more polished (I wonder which version the PAL version is based on though). A lot of content was also apparently cut. Like cut-scenes, an additional last boss, a real ending, Marian appearing and helping the dragons, more detailed and varied levels and graphics among other things.

The resulting game was great though, so I highly recommend anyone that haven't, to play it. It filled my expectations of a new 16-bit instalment of the series back in the day. Especially when playing the game with a friend that also likes Double Dragon or martial arts in general.

Jedi Master Baiter

Quote from: P on May 27, 2019, 11:09:30 am
Battletoads & Double Dragon is more of a Battletoads game than a Double Dragon game. They just borrowed the characters (although they mixed up the names of Roper and Machine Gun Willy)

Oh, Rare did much more than just that. Though this article says that the Shadow Boss is original to BT&DD, I suspect it's just Burnov (the first boss of Double Dragon II).

QuoteIt looks like the game was actually released in USA before Japan

Good to see that Kazunaka Yamane did the music again, here. ;D That's probably reason enough for me to want to play it. I still want to beat BT&DD though. >:( I mean, I beat Battletoads. This one can't be harder, can it? ???

P

Ah yeah they thought that Roper and Lopar are two different persons (it's just two ways to spell the same name) and managed to assign the two names to two different characters, and got neither right. Guido should be Roper (basic grunt), Lopar should be Williams (cartwheel grunt) and Roper should be Willy (machine gun guy). Rare also gave Linda a fitting extra name "Lash".
Shadow Boss actually being Brunov is an interesting theory. That he somehow got higher in rank than Willy is a mystery though. Jimmy being the Shadow Boss isn't even canon. It was just a way in the Famicom version to simulate the final fight over Marian between the dragon brothers in the arcade version, despite Famicom version being single player. All remakes and sequels acknowledges only the arcade version as canon.

That Double Dragon Dojo site got more information on the cut content of Return of Double Dragon. It is interesting to read when you have beaten the game. Don't read it before playing it though or the game may feel incomplete haha.

The story makes Marian a policewoman and student of sousetsuken, something that seems to have been inspired from the movie since it haven't been mentioned in any earlier games. And since she is kidnapped when investigating the Shadow Warriors group, it almost feels like a retell of the first game's story. But since the leader is Duke and not Willy, that doesn't really fit either. It might be hard to fit it in the Double Dragon timeline.

QuoteGood to see that Kazunaka Yamane did the music again, here. That's probably reason enough for me to want to play it. I still want to beat BT&DD though. I mean, I beat Battletoads. This one can't be harder, can it?

Oh you already beat Battletoads! I think BT&DD should actually be easier less impossible. I remember getting quite close to the end back in the day when borrowing the SNES version of the game. It probably gets really hard from there though.

P

I tried PAL version of Super Double Dragon. It seems to play identically to the American version after all, only sped up for PAL speed, and with glitchy graphics probably because I played on an NTSC SFC.

Enemies can catch boomerangs they throw but not the dragons. Boomerangs becomes one-use weapons. I must have mixed my memories of PAL and Japanese version.
Knives and especially grenades takes a ton of damage and weapons can not be swaped unless you drop the weapon from taking a hit.
The hurricane kick do seem to hit several enemies though. I'm not sure what they meant in that article.

boye

Trying to load a disk on my FDS.
Can't find the FDSLoadr PC program? Get it here. It took me way too long to find.

UglyJoe

Just made the final payment on my student loans! :coin:

Jedi Master Baiter

I ate a tortilla chip and a sharp end punctured my gums. :'( Not only that, it stayed lodged in there. :'( Had to use tweezers to get it out. :(

adori_12

Ouch, that must've hurt a lot!  :( 
Something similar happened to me last week: While I was eating cereal, a piece of corn flake got really stuck in between my front teeth and was really hurting my gum, but it got even worse when I tried to get that out, since it simply didn't come out, I tried my nail, several toothpicks, brushing my teeth, and after like fifteen minutes of work, it finally came out.  :'(
I then ate that piece of flake as a way of finishing that nightmare, to end what I started, I guess.  :P
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

P

Heh you ate it for revenge, serves it right for getting stuck like that.

Reminds me of one day when a mackerel bone got stuck down in my throat, irritating me for almost a full day. I kept moving my mouth and throat muscles all day to make it move upwards slowly. Somehow it worked, because when I was sitting on the train making weird faces to make my muscles move, it finally came up again on the tongue in my mouth so that I could grab it with my fingers. Such joy! I threw the little devil away.

UglyJoe

Took apart and cleaned a Wii remote that had leaky batteries.  Would have thrown it away, but it was a Yoshi edition :yoshi:

FamicomFreak

Came back here to look for more Famicom loot! It's been too long!
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

UglyJoe

pxlbluejay

Tried to fix a Famicom controller with superglue and got it all over the controller and my fingers :'( :'( :'(
Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda. The NES and the Famicom themselves. These are well known after more than 30 years after their releases. I highly doubt that Fortnite, PUBG, or any other modern-day game will be as well known in 2050.