April 28, 2024, 06:46:14 pm

Favorite Nintendo console

Started by Rob64, March 08, 2009, 08:53:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Which console by Nintendo do you consider your favorite of all time as of 2009?

Famicom
Super Famicom
N64
Gamecube
Wii

Medisinyl

/\    Well, I think the SNES has less games than NES, but I have no idea about SFC in comparison to Famicom.   

Drakon

as biased as it is posting this sort of topic on a famicom forum.  I'm saying the super famicom.  It's like the famicom with a supercharger and nitrous system installed.

Rob64

I don't think it is extremely biased because I am fairly positive that people that are fans of the Famicom are fans of the other Nintendo products.
Now you're playing with Power

133MHz

Finally went with the SNES/SFC. Both the FC and the SFC mean a lot to me, but I owe a great part of my childhood to our 16-bit friend :).

L___E___T

My God, how the Wii is not far and above these is beyond me, considering it can play ALL the titles of these systems on it's own!

PLUS all the wiiware, original wii games and now even gamecube remixes.

Saying that, I think the styling of the super famicom is far andf above my favourite, that ugly American SNES is awful, in England we were lucky enough to get the Super Famicom casing (just rebadged as a Super Nintendo and albeit @ 50hz..) !

I also think DS and gameboy should be on this list, handhelds are consoles all the same.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Rob64

The reason I left handhelds alone was because of this fundamental difference.

Consoles are mandatory that you play at home or a friends house; you can't really play with them out in the open. They rely on elextricity and are ment to be played at home.

Handhelds can be played anywhere since they rely on battery power and are meant to be portable and fit in your pocket.

L___E___T

And that is a difference in real terms how exactly??...
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Rob64

It's actually obvious if you could read and think a little bit about my last post. Handhelds can fit in your pocket, consoles cannot.

Handhelds just aren't consoles, even Nintendo recognizes this. If you have ever seen an E3 video of the past couple of years of either Sony or Nintendo, they split it into two parts. A portion is dedicated to talking about handhelds and they address it as handhelds. Another portion is dedicated to talking about consoles and they address it as consoles.

If you wish to do a poll about a favorite Nintendo handheld, be my guest. I'm sure you know what would be on the poll.

L___E___T

Rob, don't worry I can read hehe, but I appreciate that may have seemed a little rude of me.  Yes I've thought about and I still fail to see the difference.  OK, they're smaller, take batteries and are portable but what real difference does that make to anything?  Nothing really.

Nintendo DOES count them as consoles (when I've spoken to them, certainly), the reason they are kept seperate at retail and trade events is because the differences actually have a large impact on the markets for both.  They're both consoles but have different market patterns for many reasons I won't go into.  That obviously affects the way you have to communicate them to consumers and industry people in sales, marketing etc.

What I meant originally was, it doesn't really make any differnces in terms of  "I liked this system because" which is how people will arrive at this decision.  If I play my DS on my own, strictly at home (which I do, sad I know) then it actually lumps it into the same category even by your spec.

I just don't see how you can knock those handhelds off the list when they're just as valid.  It's like the difference between 2D systems and 3D, it doesn't mean we treat those systems any differnet in terms of which ones we liked and which we didn't..

The reason they call them 'handhelds' and 'consoles' at those events is just to keep it simple, sounds better than 'portables' and 'standing consoles'.  Handhelds are still consoles by definition (as opposed to computers) they're just a different type of console.  The only real difference being that the sound and display and controls are in one contained unit, it doesn't alter how we perceive the games we play on them, just where we play them sometimes and for how long.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Rob64

Look, I get what you're saying but when you really think about it, people that play video games play both portables and home consoles. Therefore, I would think they would have their own favorite for both "categories". Take me for example, I play most Nintendo consoles and I have a favorite for each, SNES and Gameboy.

I would make a list of the portable series, but if you think about it, there isn't much in comparison to their console series. You have the gameboy, a remade gameboy pocket (doesn't really count since you still play gameboy games), gameboy color, Gameboy Advance and the SP, then the DS.

Looking at the face of each "era" of these, there's four: gameboy, color, advance, and ds. But if I were making the list, I would clump gameboy and gameboy color together since they are technically the same system, just with the addition of color. Basic gameplay and graphics are the same (with the exception of color). So it would be three categories.

If I do make a list, I am fairly certain that it will be a tie between the gameboy and the DS. DS would be first because of the things that you can do with it. WIfi, plays ds and gba games, dual screen, etc. Gameboy would be first becuse it was how a lot of people were shown tetris if they never got the nes cartridge.

I don't include them on this list because I don't see why they should. I might not make another list for the handheld because it is obvious who will win. This poll was actually surprising to me, I didn't think the SFC would be #1 at all.

L___E___T

I see what you mean,  after making a big point, it's a bit of an obvious winner :)  gotta be DS for sure.  Though I prefer the GBA ;)

I'm actually glad to see that everyone likes the 16-bit stuff more, to me it represents the pinnacle of 2 day gaming, something that got it's feet firmly grounded in 8-bit.  I had a few systems before that and it all seemed in lots of different directions to me but as soon as NES and SMS arrived there was a clear platform and games started to appear on more of a level than they did in the early days before that - specs kept changing every 6 months !
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Medisinyl

Quote from: L___E___T on March 11, 2009, 08:53:25 am

..everyone likes the 16-bit stuff more...

???  Not everyone...  And I can't stand the dual screen games, but the system is fine for playing GBA stuff, if only for the Castlevania games. 

PatMan33

I'm stuck between the Super Nintendo and the Nintendo 64... can I say both? I'm saying both!

L___E___T

Sorry, I meant in general, so obviously everyone is the wrong word there, think 'most' :)

I like the dual screens when it's used well (like in hotel dusk 215, castlevanias etc) but I don't like having to play most games with a toothpick, buttons suited me fine!!
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Medisinyl

/\ according to the poll, "most" have preferred 8-bit thus far...  :P (over 16-bit)