Did the game *Run Saber* get released in Japan?

Started by Agent X, March 13, 2009, 09:03:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Agent X

Just what the thread title asks.  I like what I see of this
Strider Hiryu clone of watching YouTube vids on it,
but I cannot find any information on the game, as I assume
it got released in Japan under a different name, Almost positive
on that note from EGM's "International Outlook" section, but under
the Run Saber name it only shows a U.S. and EU release?  I've
got back into Super Famicom (for the 10th time, don't think I'll be
selling it off this time around as nothing current or future seems
to do it for me), and I'd like to add this to my SFC collection.  It be
weird if I had to actually buy an SNES game, but wouldn't know
hot to make the fatter cart fit into the SFC.

Any help on this matter is much appreciated.
Gaming peaked in the 8-Bit & 16-Bit eras...
all else is just rehashes and insanity passing
itself off as "gaming."
~Agent X

manuel

According to this site (http://www012.upp.so-net.ne.jp/gameordie/runsaber.htm) the game was scheduled for release in Japan, but didn't go on sale.

Agent X

Thanks for that info... looks like I'll have to start looking
for a Universal SFC/SNES socket protector converter
cassette to play SNES games on the SFC now.

DOH!  >:(
itself off as "gaming."
~Agent X

satoshi_matrix

Well, you could always buy a Nintendo hexagon screwdriver, a cheapo SFC game along with the SNES Run Saber and then open up the game, put the board into a donor SFC case and then go mak a reproduction of the label. There ya go.

That, or go buy an SNES.  An SNES can EASILY be modded to support SFC games, and they are completely the same hardware so.....

Agent X

The "Sac Cart" thing was what I had in mind first actually,
and I have a loose VALIS IV lying around I could use
since I want that game (CIB) anyhow.  Thing is I don't
know where to buy one of those hexagon screwdrivers,
as I'm far from Bob Villa or Tim Allen.  Would an ordinary
hardware store carry them, or is it something I'm going
to have to look high & low for on the Net?

As far as the label goes, I figured I'd just use a heat gun
to get the SNES label off and then reapply with some extra
krazy glue to the SFC Sac Cart.  ***I could technically buy a
cheapie SNES, but I hate the looks of it, always did and is
why I go straight up JPN SFC.  I'm thinking there are going to
be more than a few "Sac Carts" being used for this process
in the foreseeable future for me.   :(
itself off as "gaming."
~Agent X

namakubi

Ah, suck it up and buy an SNES for cheap and then rip out the plastic tabs in the cartridge slot with pliers and your good to go. Don't let aesthetic elitism keep you from playing some good games.

Agent X

Quote from: namakubi on March 14, 2009, 02:23:46 pm
Ah, suck it up and buy an SNES for cheap and then rip out the plastic tabs in the cartridge slot with pliers and your good to go. Don't let aesthetic elitism keep you from playing some good games.

Well I already shelled out the dough for an SFC system though, so I don't see much point in buying "another" SFC in the ugly ass purple/grey-white scheme as the SNES.  I guess this ideology does have some earmarks of elitism as you put it, but I've forever been this way about certain things.  Game Systems and box art is a major selling point for me, was back in the day and still is in 2009.  I'd rather do the *Sac Cart* thing than to walk into a pawn shop and spend another $25.00 or so for a system I already have in it's much nicer looking configuration.  That's just me though.  I prefer to look at is as being more of a "Completest" on general principle, based on my OCD, rather than being "elitist".  Being elitist would mean that I would had to have tracked down a brand spanking new (I'm sure there are some out there still, prolly in Japan) SFC system, and I would never converse with others in the Famicom/NES, SFC/SNES hobby, because I would be a know-it-all, and I don't feel that way at all.  In fact, I'm just learning about a lot of stuff both 8-BIT and 16-BIT wise that I never knew about at all back in the day.  I just have my preferences is all.
;)
itself off as "gaming."
~Agent X

satoshi_matrix

the easiest place to  buy the special screwbits is ebay. but one other option I thought of is to get a SNES Gamegenie. The Gamegenie is held together with simple Phillips screws. If you can open it  up, just take the shell and break it until it fits into place. Then put the SNES game into the top if it and there ya go. Maybe there was a japanese super famicom gamegenie. If so, get that. Either way it should work. Run Saber is really good, but its also really hard. Try it out on an emulator first to make sure its something you really want to be obsessing over.

namakubi

Quote from: Agent X on March 14, 2009, 03:46:48 pm
Quote from: namakubi on March 14, 2009, 02:23:46 pm

Well I already shelled out the dough for an SFC system though, so I don't see much point in buying "another" SFC in the ugly ass purple/grey-white scheme as the SNES.  I guess this ideology does have some earmarks of elitism as you put it, but I've forever been this way about certain things.  Game Systems and box art is a major selling point for me, was back in the day and still is in 2009.  I'd rather do the *Sac Cart* thing than to walk into a pawn shop and spend another $25.00 or so for a system I already have in it's much nicer looking configuration.  That's just me though.  I prefer to look at is as being more of a "Completest" on general principle, based on my OCD, rather than being "elitist".  Being elitist would mean that I would had to have tracked down a brand spanking new (I'm sure there are some out there still, prolly in Japan) SFC system, and I would never converse with others in the Famicom/NES, SFC/SNES hobby, because I would be a know-it-all, and I don't feel that way at all.  In fact, I'm just learning about a lot of stuff both 8-BIT and 16-BIT wise that I never knew about at all back in the day.  I just have my preferences is all.
;)

I didn't call you a general elitist, I said an aesthetic elitist, if it doesn't look a certain way you won't bother. Anyway I don't want to turn this into a flame war, I was just trying to help you out and suggest you get a cheap Super NES (easily bought used and still in working order for no more than $10-$15) rather than go to the trouble of trying to get an SNES game to work on a Super Fami, if you don't want to do things the cheap and easy way, that's your preference.

Agent X

March 17, 2009, 04:53:48 am #9 Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 05:23:52 am by Agent X
No offense taken namakubi... it's kind of hard to offend me. 
Just wanted to clarify my position is all.  I do thank you for the
"mentionings" however, on the subject at hand.

@ satoshi_matrix: Yeah, I'll have to give it a go (Run Saber)
before going all out and doing the "Sac Cart" thing.  But being a huge
fan of Strider Hiryu, and that game more or less being a clone of that
game... I just feel I'd want it in my SFC/SNES collection.  That first boss
with the giant F-16 is just sick!  8)

***It does upset me a bit though, (didn't realize this until a few days ago)
that in Europe their SNES was called "Super Nintendo" but looked like
the JPN SFC and the carts did too.  Why did North America have to get
the redesigned purple/grey/white thing?  >:(
itself off as "gaming."
~Agent X

manuel

The American version was supposed to look more "grown-up"/"hi-tech" and not as "childish"/"toy-like" as the Japanese/European one.

Agent X

Funny thing is though manuel, I always thought just the opposite.
That the Japan Super Famicom/European Super Nintendo, was
the one that looked "hi-tech and grown up" versus the weird looking
North American re-design.  It didn't help matters any that after reading
EGM for months and getting used to the name Super Famicom as
well as seeing the pics of the JPN system... well, I just assumed that
was what we were getting in America. 

Oh well.  Time passed by, and I finally have an SFC so it's all gravy from
here anyhow.  While most are out spending Buku dollars on the latest
and greatest PS3 and XBOX 360 games, I'm building up my 16-BIT
SFC and 8-BIT FC libraries respectively.
itself off as "gaming."
~Agent X

manuel

Same with me. That's why I wrote "supposed to". :D

I still remember the first time I saw the Super Nintendo displayed in a store.
It looked so neat and beautiful, sophisticated and high-tech. I was a kid and couldn't afford it for 2 more years, though.
I went to the store several times a week just to have a look at the SNES.  ;D Man was I impressed with it. Good old times.

son_ov_hades

I think both the Super Famicom and SNES in their original versions are ugly. The mini is where it's at.

manuel

I don't like the SFC Junior that much. Still, I would like to own one for the collection.

Again we're back to "taste". And thank god we all don't have the same taste.