Best hk original or hack?

Started by Nightstar699, July 31, 2009, 02:31:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightstar699

What is your favorite hong kong original or hack you have on a pirate cart? Mine is super contra 7 /8. All the fun and speed of a real contra. Good graphics too. What do you think?
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

nintendodork

I haven't played any HK originals, so I don't know about those, unless Sonic the Hedgehog is, in which case, that's my favorite.  For hacks, it would be Mario 10.  It's a hack of a Kung Fu game starring Jackie Chan.  It's great fun.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

satoshi_matrix

To be honest, I've never played a good Famicom Hong Kong Original. They're all terrible to mediocre at best. Even the popular and sought after HKO's like Super Mario World are substandard Famicom games and ultimately the only reason for ever playing them is for the novelty factor. If they were good, they would much more popular than they are amongst retro gamers.

Hacks on the other hand can be a different story. Since fundamentally good gameplay never chances with 99% of all hacks, good hacks make a good game even better. My favorite NES/FC hacks include Metroid X, Ganon's Revenge, Mario Adventure, Rockman No Consistency and Megaman Ultra.

JC

I've had the most fun with Earthworm Jim 3 -- just awesome.

thegreatgonzo

Quote from: satoshi_matrix on July 31, 2009, 06:54:49 pm
My favorite NES/FC hacks include Metroid X, Ganon's Revenge, Mario Adventure, Rockman No Consistency and Megaman Ultra.

I don't know anything about these hacks, excpet for Rockman No Consistency... care to share any details about them?
Dance, puppets... dance!

Nightstar699

Never heard of them either, do u have them on cart?
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

133MHz

My favorite is The Lion King. It's a perfect port of the SNES game.
I also like Hwang Shinwei's games even if they're considered mediocre.

satoshi_matrix

Quote from: thegreatgonzo on July 31, 2009, 07:18:45 pm
Quote from: satoshi_matrix on July 31, 2009, 06:54:49 pm
My favorite NES/FC hacks include Metroid X, Ganon's Revenge, Mario Adventure, Rockman No Consistency and Megaman Ultra.

I don't know anything about these hacks, excpet for Rockman No Consistency... care to share any details about them?

Sure.

Metroid X is a Metroid hack that totally revamps every area in the game and allows you to acquire weapons and abilities in a totally different order than before.

Ganon's Revenge is a Legend of Zelda 1 hack that revamps the overworld and underworld layouts, item locations and generally makes the game more exciting and harder than the original Zelda.

Mario Adventure is quite simply the best NES game hack ever.

Rockman No Consistency and Megaman Ultra are both Megaman 2 hacks that make the game even more awesome than it was before.

Nightstar699

Do you have them on cart?

satoshi_matrix

I'm a megaman nut, so I have cart NES reproductions of Rockman no Consistancy, Megaman Ultra and Rockman Exile. The others I have on my PowerPak.

FamicomFreak

Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

FamicomFreak

Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com