Last game you beat (including Famicom)

Started by Doc, July 29, 2006, 11:29:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Issun

Metroid on the NES. Beat it twice today, first I got the one piece swimsuit ending and on the second time around I got the two piece bikini ending. I got everything in both games except one missile tank (it's so hard to get :() and the wave beam (I never use it).

Zycrow

My goal this year is to beat 10 NES/Famicom games that I haven't finished before. I'm up to eight so far, so I may have to extend my goal!  ;D

So far I've finished: Legacy of the Wizard (NES); Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II (NES); Double Dragon II (FC);  The Goonies (FC); The Goonies II (NES); Boku Dracula-kun (FC); Bomberman (FC); and Getsu Fuma Den (FC).

Right now I'm working on Clash at Demonhead. Big ones on my list to beat are Blaster Master, Journey to Silius, and the first TMNT game.

Quote from: Issun on April 28, 2014, 11:48:28 am
I got everything in both games except one missile tank (it's so hard to get :() and the wave beam (I never use it).

Good job, especially since the wave beam is the easiest way to defeat Ridley and Kraid!
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

BonBon

Just beat adventures of Tom Sawyer nes. It was quite a challenge with the one hit deaths.

UglyJoe

Joy Mech Fight on Famicom.  I erased the previous owner's save data since they apparently had unlocked everything already.  Just finished playing through the whole thing on normal mode.  Guess I can move on to hard mode now (and then "special", once I  unlock it). :bub:

Zycrow

Got through Clash at Demonhead last night. I failed to diffuse the bomb three or four times before I could finally get the "good" ending.  :-[

Loved the game, though. It's rough around the edges but a lot of fun.
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

Protoman

Quote from: Issun on April 28, 2014, 11:48:28 am
Metroid on the NES. Beat it twice today, first I got the one piece swimsuit ending and on the second time around I got the two piece bikini ending. I got everything in both games except one missile tank (it's so hard to get :() and the wave beam (I never use it).

Me too! I beat it for the first time ever though, and I didn't even get her to take off her helmet :P She wasn't doing the crying animation at least so that's something. I skipped the wave beam altogether because the ice beam is more useful and the metroids are impossible to survive for me without being able to freeze them.

Issun

Quote from: Zycrow on April 28, 2014, 01:51:44 pm
Good job, especially since the wave beam is the easiest way to defeat Ridley and Kraid!

Thanks mate! Kraid can be a little tough, I usually blast him with the few missiles I have then resort to bombing him until he's down. Ridley is easy though, freeze his fireballs and then feed him missiles until the fireballs begin to thaw, refreeze and more missiles. I seldom take any damage versus him.

Quote from: Protoman on April 30, 2014, 10:39:39 am
Me too! I beat it for the first time ever though, and I didn't even get her to take off her helmet :P She wasn't doing the crying animation at least so that's something. I skipped the wave beam altogether because the ice beam is more useful and the metroids are impossible to survive for me without being able to freeze them.

Great! :) After you've got the map memorized getting a better ending isn't all that hard. It's really a wonderful game, well worth revisiting every now and then.

I finished Shadowgate on the NES this evening, haven't played it in ages. I got stuck at a couple of places but things clicked and I got through it in the end. Loved the game when I was younger, it still has that great atmosphere and the music is just great!

BonBon

Just beat street fighter 2010 it was a great run. no turbo controller used. This game is tough but little with a little practice it's not bad. If anyone needs a tip just ask.

P

I agree that game is not bad at all.

Quote from: Issun on April 30, 2014, 01:44:44 pm
Quote from: Zycrow on April 28, 2014, 01:51:44 pm

Thanks mate! Kraid can be a little tough, I usually blast him with the few missiles I have then resort to bombing him until he's down. Ridley is easy though, freeze his fireballs and then feed him missiles until the fireballs begin to thaw, refreeze and more missiles. I seldom take any damage versus him.

Quote from: Protoman on April 30, 2014, 10:39:39 am

Great! :) After you've got the map memorized getting a better ending isn't all that hard. It's really a wonderful game, well worth revisiting every now and then.

I always thought that you couldn't beat the game with the wave beam so I always take the wave beam first (because it's the strongest beam weapon) and then switch to ice beam later.

Issun

Quote from: P on May 01, 2014, 03:41:49 am
I always thought that you couldn't beat the game with the wave beam so I always take the wave beam first (because it's the strongest beam weapon) and then switch to ice beam later.

Although you don't need the wave beam, it's technically possible (albeit hard) to beat the game using it. On my route Norfair is done just before ridley so there's really no need to pick it up since Ridley is such a pushover using the ice beam and the normal enemies are kept at bay using the screwattack.

Just beat "Tatakai no Banka" on the Famicom. I used the continue code, but when you've gotten down the strategy for the bosses it's a pretty easy game. I think I'll try to do a run without continues during the week. Pretty fun game.

L___E___T

My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Nightstar699

No-death runs of the following:

Rastan (Sega Master System)
Kenseiden (Sega Master System)
Genpei Toumaden 2 (PC Engine)
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

P

Quote from: L___E___T on May 02, 2014, 12:05:44 pm
I'm looking forward to playing through this:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1988/

That hack looks good. Especially saving, minimap and beamstacking features. The graphics updates also looks good on pictures but I have to see the animations first before I make a judgement on that. I saw an earlier hack that was supposed to make Samus look better but the running animation was actually really bad.

Quote from: Issun on May 02, 2014, 10:53:26 am
Quote from: P on May 01, 2014, 03:41:49 am

Although you don't need the wave beam, it's technically possible (albeit hard) to beat the game using it. On my route Norfair is done just before ridley so there's really no need to pick it up since Ridley is such a pushover using the ice beam and the normal enemies are kept at bay using the screwattack.

So you just have to avoid the metroids in Tourian if you have the wave beam instead of the ice beam?

I started playing the NES version and I realized that I DO take the ice beam first since it's useful and easily accessible in Brinstar early in the game. Then I probably just pick up the wave beam sometime when I'm going to Ridley. Then I have to pick up the ice beam again to stand a chance against the metroids. Maybe I should use the ice beam against Ridley this time though.

Even though I never beated Ridley I know I've been to Tourian as a kid. I probably used someone else's password where Ridley was already beaten. This time I'm gonna beat the whole game!

Oh another question, do you go to Kraid's lair before going to Norfair? I remember I used to beat Kraid by emptying my missile tanks in his face, but to do that I probably need to go to Norfair first and collect more missile tanks.

Issun

Quote from: P on May 03, 2014, 02:29:35 am
So you just have to avoid the metroids in Tourian if you have the wave beam instead of the ice beam?

Pretty much, yeah. Hard as shit though.

Oh another question, do you go to Kraid's lair before going to Norfair? I remember I used to beat Kraid by emptying my missile tanks in his face, but to do that I probably need to go to Norfair first and collect more missile tanks.

I first do Brinstar then Kraid, Norfair and finally Ridley. As I mentioned earlier I defeat Kraid by using the few missiles I have and when they run out I roll up into a ball and bomb the crap out of him. Doesn't take long to defeat him as they do pretty good damage. As long as you've got 3 energy tanks you should be able to finish him off easily!

P

OK I'm more or less done with Brinstar except I haven't got the Varia yet (not sure how you get it).
Speaking of the Varia I just looked in the Japanese manual and the Varia is spelled as "Baria" in Japanese. "Varia" is technically not a wrong romanization of the word but when I look at the picture in the manual where you can see that the item forms a force field barrier around Samus, it's clear to me that the intended meaning was most likely the English word "Barrier" and not Varia.

Quote from: Issun on May 03, 2014, 02:54:15 am

Pretty much, yeah. Hard as shit though.

Sounds really hard!