Last game you beat (including Famicom)

Started by Doc, July 29, 2006, 11:29:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jedi Master Baiter

I decided to buy a set of loose discs (from the Essential Collection apparently) so I can beat Metal Gear Solid again. Turns out that the first disc was the one having problems: I could load the first Essential disc and swap in the second original disc but not the first original disc and swap in the second Essential disc. Both Essential discs swap fine.

Anyway, I got the bad ending. :( But I got the stealth camouflage. :)

Protoman

I'm not sure if it really qualifies as [beating/i] a game but I finished Otogirisou, a visual novel-type game for Super Famicom (although Chunsoft themselves call it a Sound Novel, because you're supposed to read the text aloud)
It was about a couple driving around and crashing near an abandoned mansion(I love mansions) and explore it finding that a family used to live here but now only one remain, and the girlfriend might just be a long-lost member...

Then I found out that a japanese horror movie was based on the game as well so I've ordered it from ebay!

Jedi Master Baiter

I completed Metal Gear Solid on Expert now.

Code Name Crocodile :P

P

Great! Is expert when rations are limited/non-existant? I remember playing the hardest difficulty and running out of ration after the fight with Psycho Mantis and got stuck at Sniper Wolf due to having too little life. She always killed me before I could even aim at her!

Quote from: Protoman on June 01, 2017, 02:10:23 pm
a visual novel-type game ... (although Chunsoft themselves call it a Sound Novel, because you're supposed to read the text aloud)

From what I can remember the term Sound Novel was patented or something so companies started to use other terms like visual novel. Chunsoft games and the Sound Novel Tsukuuru games seems to use this term though.

Jedi Master Baiter

Oh, sorry. It's called 'Extreme.'

Let's see:

-you only get one ration (at a time)
-there are no ration pick ups; rations can only be acquired from soldiers, who also drop famas and socom ammo (so you can still farm ;D)
-items do not respawn (except for the C4 and PSG1 ammo outside the frozen Tower A door
-after each boss fight, though your health bar increases, you do not regain health
-the lasers in the airlock move faster (which made it easier for me for some reason)
-Sniper Wolf is faster (as you've noticed)
-you must survive each torture session 6 times (which I miraculously got by on the first try both times!)
-the mine detector doesn't do squat (because there's no radar), but the IR goggles are just fine (except for locating the PAL key)
-your health replenishes for the rappel portion (thank God!)
-falling off the Metal Gear during the Liquid fight is instant death

Things I've found out:

-on the tank battle, the grenade must land precisely on the gunner to have effect (which really frustrated me!), on Normal, I believe you can finish this fight with two direct hits, whereas on Extreme you need four direct hits to do anything

-the Cyborg Ninja fight (the only other boss fight I needed to see a video walkthrough for), was the toughest fight by far due to all the phases and how quick he moves, and also his one-hit-kill attacks

-Psycho Mantis wasn't as tough as I expected, but this was the longest and most tedious fight

-the stair climb (the non-boss portion I needed a walkthrough for!) is easier if you're maxed out on stun grenades: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZc8jdbEStY

...but my method involved dropping a grenade at the entrance hatch, while laying down claymore mines at the corners while going up (because you can always get more!) and gunning down anyone in front of me

-apparently the Hind D missile strike at the end is an instant kill, but I never get hit by these, because I always happened to be standing in my hiding spot between the door and that generator-looking thing

-the second Sniper Wolf fight is pretty much broken if you have a bunch of Nikita and stinger missiles (they both work!)

-Vulcan Raven (the other boss fight I needed a guide for!) is always shooting now and running from the beginning. It's also tough without the radar! But he moves in a static pattern: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty-1KBmkZ6s

-Metal Gear REX isn't hard, as long as you're always running circles around it clockwise while shooting the radome, but on the second phase, stun grenades work now (which makes sense; didn't know why I didn't think of it)

-with precise timing, you can punch Liquid in one combo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-0G4TVJeik

Honestly, I wouldn't really say it's worth playing on Extreme unless you're seeking a challenge without reward. I just wanted to see how it's like without a radar (which is really worth trying out) and I decided screw Hard, let's see how Extreme is like, and it does get easier once your health bar increases enough.

And once you equip the PSG, the sneaking parts are practically nonexistent.

Now trying to get a Big Boss ranking, that's a different story.[/walloftext]

TLDR:

-Extreme is hard as shit that's been dried in the Sahara
-you can sort of 'cheat' in this game
-try 'Hard' if you wanna play without the radar, but just know, Extreme gets easy once you find the PSG
-screw Big Boss

P

I think I beat the game on hard but not on extreme (I fed up when I got stuck at Sniper Wolf). The game really isn't made to be played without radar. It requires prior knowledge of the level layout and enemy patterns. Yet all the games features a no radar mode for people that want more challenge.

Later games in the series allows you to shoot from first person view mode which is kind of like using the PSG-1 but with any weapon (and can be done from a standing position). But since the enemy's strategy is much more complex (for example they send out a dangerous search team if they notice they lost a man) it's not something that eliminates the sneaking parts, and in Solid 3 (my favourite) it is absolutely required as it takes place before the more modern radar was invented.

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on June 08, 2017, 09:21:53 pm
-there are no ration pick ups; rations can only be acquired from soldiers, who also drop famas and socom ammo (so you can still farm ;D)

Hmm why didn't I just farm for rations. I remember I was running around the whole base trying to look for scrap rations to no avail. It was a long time ago though so might not remember.

Quote-the Cyborg Ninja fight (the only other boss fight I needed to see a video walkthrough for), was the toughest fight by far due to all the phases and how quick he moves, and also his one-hit-kill attacks

It's my favourite boss! I always loved that you have to fight him unarmed.

Quote-Psycho Mantis wasn't as tough as I expected, but this was the longest and most tedious fight

Just wait until you fight The End in Solid 3...

Quote-the stair climb (the non-boss portion I needed a walkthrough for!) is easier if you're maxed out on stun grenades: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZc8jdbEStY

...but my method involved dropping a grenade at the entrance hatch, while laying down claymore mines at the corners while going up (because you can always get more!) and gunning down anyone in front of me

Yeah there are so many ways you can get through every situation. I really like the diversity of weapons. Stun grenades can be very effective for diversion attacks in any Metal Gear, unless you are sneaking. And mines are always fun, as long as you remember where you laid them...

Quote-the second Sniper Wolf fight is pretty much broken if you have a bunch of Nikita and stinger missiles (they both work!)

Yeah I remember that. It was quite disappointing to discover that so I just refused to use anything but a sniper rifle on her. In later games, sniper battles may require you to not only use the sniper if you want to get certain extra items, or not drag the battle out forever.

Quote-with precise timing, you can punch Liquid in one combo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-0G4TVJeik

Ah yes this is a very important technique in all 3D main series games. As soon as you kick, the enemy will fall and will be invincible for a short while. But if you continue punching he will be unable to doge and you can drain all his life or stamina quite quickly. Doing this on guards can knock them out relatively fast. Faster than doing the punch-punch-kick combo twice anyway, and with less danger of him calling support or attacking you.

BTW did you play the game with a dualshock controller? First time I played it I only had a normal controller, but second time I had the dualshock and was in for a surprise. Also having other Konami games on the memory card will be commented on at a certain time in the game. Gotta love their humour!

Jedi Master Baiter

Quote from: P on June 09, 2017, 11:50:55 am
BTW did you play the game with a dualshock controller? First time I played it I only had a normal controller, but second time I had the dualshock and was in for a surprise. Also having other Konami games on the memory card will be commented on at a certain time in the game. Gotta love their humour!

I bought a dual shock just for this game. The only other Playstation games I have are coincidentally Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Suikoden. :P Suikoden is missing the first disc though. :( Yeah, I need more Playstation!

I think I'll be getting into the Resident Evil series next, but I don't know whether I'm going to get Director's Cut or the original. ???

Protoman

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on June 09, 2017, 07:09:24 pm
I think I'll be getting into the Resident Evil series next, but I don't know whether I'm going to get Director's Cut or the original. ???

The directors cut has the arrange mode which switches stuff around. It also has a beginner mode that gets you more ammo and stuff, but nothing in either mode really beats the original in any significant way.

Plus directors cut absolutely butchers one song in the game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q
(orginal for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sITJuWV3HXg)

nerdynebraskan

I just beat the U.S. prototype version of Earthbound (NES) for the first time. I can see why this franchise has a cult following.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

P

Yeah it's maybe even better than Mother 2 in some ways I think. And the OST is just great!

Jedi Master Baiter

Just finished Pocky & Rocky, holy hell was that game hard! :o

Jordan Pickford

Just beat Alien: Isolation on PC for the very first time after rewatching the movie (1979).
My old friend said he is playing at clubofpassion.com right now. He likes it a lot. I think that he earned over 10k. It's fun to watch him doing this stuff.

Reames

October 26, 2017, 11:31:06 am #762 Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 06:21:35 am by Reames
Quote from: Jordan Pickford on September 11, 2017, 11:55:54 pmJust tried using D-Bal Max and beat Alien: Isolation on PC for the very first time after rewatching the movie (1979).

The last game I beat was Middle-earth: Shadow of War. I like the combat in that game, but I wish it had a better story, or rather more of it.

Jedi Master Baiter

Just completed Sweet Home.

Weird ending. Was it supposed to cut to black?

BonBon

November 28, 2017, 04:39:10 am #764 Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 07:05:59 am by Jay-ray
After 28 years I finally beat Mike Tyson. Knocked off my number 1 video game bucket list goal. Took me about 2 1/2 hours of practice but I did it. The first time I won it was by decision. I was really disappointed. So when back until I finally got a TKO in the third. I can finally die a happy man. As soon as I learned how to quick dodge I knew it was over for kid dynamite. I've watched tons of tutorials on how to beat iron mike but it's never explained properly. ***To do a successful quick dodge all you do is as soon as you see him flash or wink literally just tap left/right then Immediately hold up and start to throw your punches**** it's truly not an easy technique to put in words. It's one of those things that's self taught after tons of  Trial and error and   Practice. The thing is you don't ever have to use this technique with the first 13 fighters. Naturally you just hold left/right till little Mac descends back to the middle of the screen then start throwing blows. So throw everything out the window you learned from the 1st 13 fights because it doesn't matter anymore. you've to Completely rework your style of fighting for the dream bout.