Last game you beat (including Famicom)

Started by Doc, July 29, 2006, 11:29:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Protoman

Today, Mega Man 8. Finally, I got past the dreaded(to me) "Jump jump slide slide" stage of Wily's fortress and got the rest of the way as well.

VegaVegas

YES, YES, YES!!!!! I just beat King of Fighters 99 on PS1. I played this game for 2 days until I beat that absolutely ridiculously cheap final boss. My reaction after that was literally this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

To be specific, I actually played it on single play which is the traditional way to play fighting games, you know, you have to beat the opponent twice and you have 3 rounds max with only 1 loss max. This took me so long. Anyway I played the whole game as Mai with Kyo as helper. I thought once that Shao Kahn from Mortal Kombat 3 was the hardest final boss I have ever encountered in my life. Man I will probably back up my words now...

Well, that is until I realized I'm PROBABLY supposed to beat this game in team mode which is the default mode. That is a completely different story. So I just chose Leona, Terry, Mai and Kyo and started playing again and.. I beat this game again with 1 credit run this time. In this mode, the final boss is approximately 50 times easier as this is 4 people vs 1 final boss and only 1 victory is needed now. So in the end, I beat this game twice today and I must say team mode is very easy to complete overall

If there are any fighting games fans then please let me know what you think

Yelir

Well played! King is my main in the KoF series, though I don't believe I've finished any of them solo. Shao Kahn was an absolute nightmare in MK3 when I beat it on Super Nintendo. I think a lot of other SNK fighters have similarly bad end bosses. Have you ever tried Double Dragon on Neo Geo / PS1?  :'(

VegaVegas

Never played Double Dragon on PS1 but it looks like a fighting game, never even knew it existed. Wasn't Double Dragon fighting game also released on SNES??

Jedi Master Baiter

The Neo Geo Double Dragon confused me, because it used clips from the movie but it was it's own thing. It has a pretty rad soundtrack, too!

https://vgmdb.net/album/3295

Also, Shadow Falls looks like it's based off the cartoon, which I mildly remember.

P

The Neo Geo game is based on the movie rather than the other games AFAIK. Including movie-exclusive characters.

xIceMan

Böbl a NES game for the NESDEV compo.

Yelir

Quote from: MaarioS on March 10, 2020, 04:11:31 pmNever played Double Dragon on PS1 but it looks like a fighting game, never even knew it existed. Wasn't Double Dragon fighting game also released on SNES??
I wish I could erase Double Dragon V from my childhood, it was a huge letdown when I expected a beat 'em up.

The one based on the movie has some really cool scrolling and interactive background elements. Also broken as hell with the block-juggles but it's charming to me and I have an SNKG cart for my MVS setup.  :gamer:

UglyJoe

Mappy Kids on Famicom.  Got the bad ending.  The moral of this game is that you should never play slot machines because they'll take away your house!

Spoiler
[close]

Protoman

March 29, 2020, 03:11:04 pm #819 Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 02:06:16 pm by Protoman
I beat some games lately:

Tokimeki Memorial, the PS1 standard-setting dating-sim by Konami. First I got the worst ending possible, then I read up on some stuff and was able to win over a blue-haired girl for the win.

Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening, the Switch remake. Great Zelda game and the precursor to Majora's Mask in terms of tone.

Kid Dracula for Gameboy. Easier than the Famicom one with very gentle continue checkpoints, but gets unforgiving-ish at the last stage which took me a while. Overall though I prefer the Famicom version.

Zettai Zetsumei Toshi for PS2, aka Disaster Report, aka SOS The Final Escape. Disaster-simulation-escape-adventure by Irem. Started out slow and has poor framerate and terrible sound design throughout but still a good game, and it picked up a lot in the last third.

EDIT: Luigi's Mansion.

EDIT2: Lately I got these games beat: Hammerin Harry(Famicom) Undercover AD2025 Kei(Dreamcast) Holy Umbrella(SFC) and Gargoyle's Quest 2(FC)

adori_12

Nazo no Kabe: Block Kuzushi. Such a hard game, but what blew me away is the condition for unlocking the ending.

I played the entire game and when I beat the final boss, it turned out I had to write a password for a "Break-up system" or something like that. I had no idea on what to enter, so I left it blank and guess what, it returned me all the way back to the first stage!  >:(
But in order to return me to stage 1-01 the game told me to flip the disk to side A, so, in a 200 IQ move, I said "Screw you, Konami!" and turned off the Famicom. Since I saved the game at 4-04, I only had to play 7 (VERY boring) stages again, rather than the entire game.

Now that I was back at the Break-up system screen, I looked up what was I supposed to enter, and it turns out that, by writing down the letters that appear at random levels, the phrase "MERRYCHRISTMAS" forms! Why do you have to do that?!?! The letters don't even appear in order, they're all scrambled! So if you were a Japanese kid who didn't know any English at the time, you had no chance to see the ending!
Maybe because the game was released on December they thought it was a good idea to do this, but why?

It's one of the most unfair and ridiculous requirements for beating a game I've ever seen, right next to X-men's label nonsense.
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

Preki

June 10, 2020, 03:31:06 am #821 Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 01:29:33 pm by Preki
Gradius. It's one of those uber-classic games every hardcore fan of NES/Famicom should have beaten by now but it took me so long. I discovered the game 20 years ago on 52 in 1 or other crazy multicart where it was erroneously listed as Grading or something like that. When I was a kid I couldn't get past the second stage and now the infamous moai statues of the third stage were too much for me. Until five days ago when my God-knows-which attempt of beating Gradius ended with success. Well, with a little help from the Konami Code since one of the stages is practically devoid of power-up capsules so I had to resort to this after losing a life rather than die over and over again until ultimately losing. Interestingly enough, the arcade version included in Gradius Collection for PSP is way easier than the NES/FC port due to more power-up capsules available, maximum of four Options and the way how laser works.

Now I think I can take on Gradius II and other entries in the franchise despite how unfair these games are. Actually, scratch that - I've managed to beat Gradius II too. I would never have thought I'd enjoy these games.

Protoman

I was going to beat Super Adventure Rockman on PS1 but my third disc is defective so I can't :(

I did beat Clock Tower(the port of the SFC one on PS1) and Utsurun Desu on Famicom however.

UglyJoe

Cuckoo Castle (browser/PC)

Fun little mini-metroidvania game-jam game.  I almost 100% it, but it got a bit tedious :-[

Protoman

This forum is kinda dead now, but I'll throw some more games in anyway:

Captain Rainbow (Wii)
Rent-a-Hero No.1 (Dreamcast)
Kaeru no tame ni kane wa naru (Game Boy)
The Starfy series (3 on GBA, 2 on DS)
Banana Prince (Famicom)
Shodai Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun (Super Famicom)

Had to give up on Yoshi's Universal Gravitation though, because while the game was fun, they put in "missions" you had to do every level and if you don't do enough, you can't move on. Beating a stage in 60 seconds for instance does NOT do the tilt controls any favors, so...