Suggestion: Collection info

Started by nensondubois, November 16, 2009, 08:31:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nensondubois

November 16, 2009, 08:31:07 pm Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:42:22 pm by nensondubois
It will require some work but it might be worth it. I got this idea from Planet Virtual Boy.

Under user account options; the person is allowed to post their Famicom/Famicom Disk System collection so all can view.

Bad idea? or good Idea?

MS-DOS4

Interesting idea, but I just keep my fami collection confined to my signature. Atari Age has something like this called the Gallery where you can upload photos to a photo album attached to you profile.
>>>Current Collection<<< Updated 8/20/2014

-Click here for Photobucket Collection-

manuel

I like the idea.
But I don't know how hard or easy it is to implement such a feature.
We'll have to wait for a comment from UglyJoe.

UglyJoe

It depends on how in-depth it would be.  If all I had to do was let the user browse our game list and click a few checkboxes next to the game title (cart,box,manual) and save it, it wouldn't be too hard.  However, I have no idea how hard it is to integrate data like that into SMF (our forum software) profiles.  Never tried it before.

More importantly, would people actually use this feature if we had it?

manuel

I can't speak for others, but I would probably use it.

What you wrote sounds very good.
Just check boxes for cart, manual, box for each game. Simple and easy.

JC

I wouldn't use it, but then I catalogue my stuff on the main site itself, heh.

Rob64

I would aboslutely use it but would it have to be limited to just the Famicom and Disk System?

I like the part of the idea where you can upload the pics into a gallery. I would use that most definitely.
Now you're playing with Power

L___E___T

I would use it if it had hardware checkboxes too.  I definitely want to get all the games CIB eventually, but for now I mostly stick to hardware so that'd be where my attention went.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

manuel

Quote from: Rob64 on November 30, 2009, 03:54:25 am
I would aboslutely use it but would it have to be limited to just the Famicom and Disk System?

As the site is called Famicom World of course it should be limited to Famicom and Disk System.

UglyJoe

November 30, 2009, 07:57:55 am #9 Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 08:53:19 am by UglyJoe
Quote from: Rob64 on November 30, 2009, 03:54:25 am

If I included other systems, you'd have to type in all the information manually.  I can't provide a list of games/hardware like I can with Famicom stuff.

I like the part of the idea where you can upload the pics into a gallery. I would use that most definitely.

How would you expect a gallery feature to work?  And this question is aimed at everyone, not just you.  A gallery is feasible, but I'd need to know what people are expecting.

Quote from: L___E___T on November 30, 2009, 05:03:17 am
I would use it if it had hardware checkboxes too.  I definitely want to get all the games CIB eventually, but for now I mostly stick to hardware so that'd be where my attention went.

I'd have to come up with a list, but it would make sense to include hardware.

Rob64

I would be fine filling that info in manually.

I imagine the space as a link to "[name]'s collection" on the profile page. There would be a list of what we have and a link to our gallery. The gallery would have thumbnails or links to the pics we upload.

What do you think?

UglyJoe

So it's just a standard gallery, then (pics, captions, thumbnails).  No links from images to games or anything fancy like that?

Rob64

Standard Gallery is fine for me. Pics, captions we can put in about the pic, and if it isn't too much work the path to the pic could be thumbnails instead links.

Will it be easy to fll it in manually if we just include if our game (system, accessories, etc) are loose, boxed, boxed with manual, or loose with manual?

This would actually be easier to have on our profile page instead of having muliple threads dedicated to parts of our collection.

UglyJoe

Quote from: Rob64 on November 30, 2009, 10:33:01 am
Will it be easy to fll it in manually if we just include if our game (system, accessories, etc) are loose, boxed, boxed with manual, or loose with manual?

I'm still brainstorming it, but I figure, for non Famicom stuff, I'll just have a textarea where you can paste a list of games (one per line) and it'll parse that into a list of games.  Something along those lines.

manuel

Great that you think about it.
A simple list with games and hardware would be totally enough.