Suggestion: Collection info

Started by nensondubois, November 16, 2009, 08:31:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

L___E___T

After all, each item could potentially link back to the other sections of the site right? 

I always thought a game info page would be nice.  I mean a full game info, with screenshots, box art, manual and review if there is one.  To me that makes more sense than splitting everything out into separate and fragmented portions but everyone has a different take on these kinds of things.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

UglyJoe

Quote from: L___E___T on December 04, 2009, 09:42:58 am
I mean a full game info, with screenshots, box art, manual and review if there is one.

That's pretty much what our game pages are now.  They show all the game information that we've got.

Linking from a game on the collection list to our game pages would be pretty trivial.

L___E___T

Cool  -  all mys stuff is in storage but I could potntially dig it out and photograph it all.  Having said that, I don't think I have anything rare enough to not already have good images on the web about it.

It seems most people on here have a particular skew of interest - me with hardware, JC with pirate carts, Carl with handbills etc and 133mhz with electronics.  What I'm saying is it'd be good if people could collate all that interest together into one huge hot pot right?

Also, I think we need a hacks section, or at least something on the subject.   Sure there's tons of stuff avaialble on other sites but it'd be great if we could grow the site by adding anything relevant, perhaps a top ten mario hacks or top 50 hacks/translations for example.  Emulation isn't always covered

What do you think?  I took another look at the game pages and super mario 3 had cool data but we really need box art, screen shots, ratings/impressions and a rough price guide or something right?
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

UglyJoe

Quote from: L___E___T on December 09, 2009, 11:17:53 am
It seems most people on here have a particular skew of interest - me with hardware, JC with pirate carts, Carl with handbills etc and 133mhz with electronics.  What I'm saying is it'd be good if people could collate all that interest together into one huge hot pot right?

It's a question of where we draw the line.  If this turns into a general-purpose collection app, why does it make sense for it to be on FW?

Also, I think we need a hacks section, or at least something on the subject.
What do you think?  I took another look at the game pages and super mario 3 had cool data but we really need box art, screen shots, ratings/impressions and a rough price guide or something right?

Content for hacks and pirates will also be on the game pages.  We currently can add the names of hacks to game pages.  You can search for them, as well (select hacks and select apply filters, or click here).  We don't currently have a place to write about the hacks, but I'll be adding a place for that on the pages in the near future. 

As for box art and whatnot, we have the ability to add those as well.  Check out the Gradius II page (here) for a good example of what the pages are capable of being.  All of the game pages can look like that, but, like we've been saying, we have a lot of content to add still.

JC

Sounds like LET is volunteering to write reviews, take screens, and scan box art and manuals. ;) FW is a long-term project. We'll be adding more content when we have time. I have tons of stuff to scan and add but life is busy right now. Of course, peeps can submit stuff for us to add.

Rob64

I can submit some stuff actually.

I scanned my boxes and manuals about half a year ago to have someone translate (which he hasn't replied since) but I can give it to you.

I have scans for Dr. Mario, SMB 1 and 3, and Thunderbirds. These scans are of boxes and manuals.

Do you want me to send any of these?
Now you're playing with Power

JC

Rob64

I'm not at home right now.

I have to scan some small things (like the fronts of the boxes and manuals  ;D). It won't take long, the pic quality (on my computer at least) is pretty good. I hope to have them to you this weekend (ideally tomorrow if I'm not called in to work). You'll need Adobe.

I can do that for the disk system games I got too if you want.

Do you want everything I have? Here's a list of what I'll have at some point, let me know what you want
:
Scans of the boxes for famicom and disk system games and the systems itself
Scans of manuals  "                                                                                                          "
Scans of other inserts I have (handbills with FDS and the comic book)

The games I have are:
Super Mario 1, 2j, 3
Dr. Mario
Balloon Fight
Thunderbirds
Santa Claus no Treasure Box
and Zelda 1 + 2

The famicom box might be dicey because I'm not sure if the scanner is wide enough, but everything else should be achievable.

Rob64

Also in terms of review, I would like to do a couple if you tell me the format you want me to review.

One I would really like to do is Santa Claus no Treasure Box, anything else that I have that you let me do is nice but I really want to do Santa Claus no Treasure Box.

UglyJoe

Quote from: Rob64 on December 10, 2009, 01:33:48 pm
Also in terms of review, I would like to do a couple if you tell me the format you want me to review.

Just follow the same format as our other reviews:

http://famicomworld.com/game/418/

You need to include all the sections in the Review portion, including ratings.  Hints & Cheats are optional.  Screenshots with captions would be appreciated, but staff can always open up an emu and capture a few shots ourselves if need be.  Cart, box, and manual shots are completely optional (but please share if you've got original scans of them!).

Rob64

December 10, 2009, 02:37:24 pm #25 Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 02:48:24 pm by Rob64
I'll tell you in advance that there is no way that I can get screen shots onto here at all. I guess I could submit this at some point when I finally invest money in a DSi XL and use that camera and just take a picture of the screen, but that may be a crude image.

Update: I'm almost done with my review. I'll submit it tomorrow after I check up on some things. Do I send it to JC?

UglyJoe

L___E___T

I would've thought the best and easiest way to get screenshots on here is via emulator and the trusty PRINT SCREEN key.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

manuel

Or use the screenshot function of the emulator (if it has one).

Rob64

Maybe we should get back on topic. Is the idea of having a collection page good or bad.