Dream Mary on a Budget

Started by 133MHz, November 21, 2009, 07:56:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DDCecil

I'm American and the cart is U.S.  ;)

NintendoKing

Quote from: DDCecil on November 22, 2009, 12:52:54 pm
I'm American and the cart is U.S.  ;)

I mistakenly looked at MasterDisk's profile instead of yours, also nice to see the NES 101 Toploader; great little system.

cubelmariomadness

That label looks loads better than those pixel style american art.
Sorry folks.

NintendoKing

November 22, 2009, 01:11:07 pm #33 Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 01:18:50 pm by The Uninvited Gremlin
Quote from: MasterDisk on November 22, 2009, 01:01:01 pm
Quote from: The Uninvited Gremlin on November 22, 2009, 12:56:25 pm
I mistakenly looked at MasterDisk's profile instead of yours, also nice to see the NES 101 Toploader; great little system.

xD
Swiss/German cart looks like that:

It's almost impossible to find it in box.

Thats a very nice label art for such a common nes game.

Thats the best artwork we got but it had to include WCTM also.

NintendoKing

Quote from: MasterDisk on November 22, 2009, 01:19:53 pm
Quote from: cubelmariomadness on November 22, 2009, 01:09:45 pm
That label looks loads better than those pixel style american art.

It's the same thing for a lot of EEC games. NES-XX-FRA labels looks like Americans labels.

This is the Swiss/german SMB label

My "pirated" Splatterhouse has a label design similar to this. I bought it originally thinking it was a cool official release of Splatterhouse Wanpaku Grafitti on the Euro system but i was wrong.

133MHz

Speaking of SMB/DH and gloptops, I've found that there are six board revisions for SMB/DH! :o
The first five use standard chips and the last one uses gloptops. Check them out:

NesCartDB - Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt

nintendodork

On the forum in my signature, I posted a link to the blog post, and this question arose:  "Would this sort of modification work on a pirated version of SMB2j?"

I believe someone said it used an MMC3 mapper, so I doubt it if that's true.  It'd be very interesting to see it if it can be done though.  If anyone has high quality pictures of a pirated SMB2j board, could they post them please?
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

UglyJoe

November 22, 2009, 05:21:29 pm #37 Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 05:35:21 pm by UglyJoe
The MMC3 controls the mirroring itself -- there are no pads to solder.  You can set it via software, though (like with a Game Genie code or something).

(and, for the record, the cart does *not* use MMC3, but possibly some pirate variant thereof (which may actually have the solder pads))

133MHz

Medisinyl

Quote from: MasterDisk on November 23, 2009, 10:01:30 am
Quote from: nintendodork on November 22, 2009, 04:35:45 pm
On the forum in my signature, I posted a link to the blog post, and this question arose:  "Would this sort of modification work on a pirated version of SMB2j?"

I believe someone said it used an MMC3 mapper, so I doubt it if that's true.  It'd be very interesting to see it if it can be done though.  If anyone has high quality pictures of a pirated SMB2j board, could they post them please?

This is my SMB2j Kaiser pirate (NES cart).

My Kaiser has a similar layout, but the right chip is Korean (Hyundai) and the left one has KS121 Japan written on it.  The upper left of mine also has KS 202, but the other numbers are different.  And the board has KS7023 on it.  I don't see where the H/V thing would be on here, and I expect most people wouldn't want to mess with a Kaiser SMB2J anyway. 

UglyJoe

I don't think you can tell by sight alone.  Here's a pcb with an MMC3 chip on it (the square chip):

http://nintendoallstars.w.interia.pl/romlab/mmc3pcb1.jpg

Nothing at all like that on the pirate board, but that doesn't mean one of the chips doesn't provide the same/similar function.

satoshi_matrix

Hey guys. my SMB/DH is the 1988 globtop revision, and its contacts are mcuh smaller than the earlier ones and a lot harder to solder. Instead, I used my standalone SMB cart. To achieve Dream Mary on the SMB standalone 5 screw cart, there are some slight differences. It seems that Nintendo originally connected point H together with a solder ball (done by hand by the looks of it), not a thin line of copper trace. Disconnecting the solder ball is as simple as using a solder sucker to remove it. Then, simply make your own solder ball on the other point marked V. Thats it! I now have Dream Mary without Duck Hunt.

satoshi_matrix

I've applied this to an extra copy of Castlevania as well. Check it out guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_MX2C9w2mg

Jedi Master Baiter

NintendoKing

Quote from: cubelmariomadness on November 22, 2009, 07:50:52 am
Will the duck hunt portion have weird mirroring too?

Nope,
Duck Hunt seems to play exactly the same as it always has with the mirroring messed;
maybe the mirroring only applies to Mario?