AV Famicom 60hz composite on PAL tv? Conversion possible?

Started by bytestorm, September 21, 2020, 11:36:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bytestorm

Hello!
I just realized that most of my crts can not handle the 60hz composite signal from my av famicom :(

Any simple way to convert this 60hz to 50hz usable by my old pal crt?

The image is just black and white..

I found an adapter while googling a bit but not able to find any good feedback about it..

Any other good way to convert the composite signal?

Thanks for your time!

MWK

I'd recommend to get yourself a nice NTSC compatible CRT unit.

FAMICOM_87

Are you getting only B&W picture, or B&W picture with flickering and wiggleling? If your case is the first one, then your TV is not only PAL , but NTSC locked as well, so you can may be unlock NTSC support via the service menu on your TV, it is from the 90's CPU driven digital one :)
In the second case the TV is only PAL and there is no way to get NTSC at all.

bytestorm

Quote from: FAMICOM_87 on September 21, 2020, 10:35:36 pmAre you getting only B&W picture, or B&W picture with flickering and wiggleling? If your case is the first one, then your TV is not only PAL , but NTSC locked as well, so you can may be unlock NTSC support via the service menu on your TV, it is from the 90's CPU driven digital one :)
In the second case the TV is only PAL and there is no way to get NTSC at all.

I am getting perfectly synced B&W picture.. hmm Thanks for the tip!! I will try and see what I can find.. Its a nice panasonic so I would hope there is something in the servicemenu perhaps :D

Ill try and find a manual for starters (service)

bytestorm

ouff.. the TV has this chassi pcb:
https://elektrotanya.com/panasonic_tc_14s1rc_tc_21s1rc_tx_14s1tc_tx21s1tc_chassis_z5.pdf/download.html

And from checking a bit it seems like this badboy TDA8361 (manual covers 3 types) is controlling wether or not I should get color in 60hz ntsc.. but I cant really say I understand what is needed to do at first glance.
http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/philips/TDA8362.pdf

Also, wondering what this (unconnected?) 50/60 out pin does? has a JW (jumper wire?) note in the schematics.

Ah, well, will continue tomorrow, but seems like it "could" be possible, but understanding HOW might be tricky :S

FAMICOM_87

I downloaded PDF for TDA8361 so a read this:

TDA8361
This IC contains an automatic
PAL/NTSC decoder. The conditions
for connecting the reference crystals
are the same as for the TDA8360.
The decoder can be forced to PAL
when the hue control pin is connected
to the positive supply voltage via a
5 kΩ or 10 kΩ resistor
(approximately). The decoder cannot
be forced to the NTSC standard. It is
also possible to see if a colour signal
is recognized via the saturation pin.

BTW what about your service menu have it any options , did you get there ?

MasterDisk

Your TV does not handle NTSC but it does sync to a 60Hz signal as the image is steady.
The easiest would be to get a NTSC->PAL 60Hz converter which is exactly what you showed in the first post.

I had a PAL Booster, the previous model of that adapter. The picture quality is not the best but it is definitely playable and without input lag.

bytestorm

yeah there is supposedly a service menu, but I am unsure what to do in that menu.
Someone had a similar menu where changing 43 to 40 made it accept ntsc, but I have no explanation to mine more than some french dokument.

There are some writings about a "Panasonic Z5 Technical Guide" but nothing that I can find online.
Here however I found a very detailed writing about the Chassis Z5
http://obsoletetellyemuseum.blogspot.com/2013/10/panasonic-tc-14s1rc-chassis-z5-internal.html

bytestorm

Quote from: MasterDisk on September 23, 2020, 01:26:14 amYour TV does not handle NTSC but it does sync to a 60Hz signal as the image is steady.
The easiest would be to get a NTSC->PAL 60Hz converter which is exactly what you showed in the first post.

I had a PAL Booster, the previous model of that adapter. The picture quality is not the best but it works without any noticeable input lag.

I did find some reviews yesterday also stating that the picture quality got bad when using the adapter in the first post.. so that makes it a "no-go" for me :(