March 29, 2024, 08:18:57 am

Analog Signal Booster

Started by MarioMania, February 13, 2010, 11:52:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MarioMania

I'm hooking my Indoor Antanna up to my DirecTV reciever to get wireless on Ch 3 or 4..But it dosen't go as far as my room, like 10 ft

I know 133MHz did this with his SNES, but with a Rooftop antanna with a signal booster, 

But I don't have a rooftop...Is it even possible the booster will bump my signal??....I don't really need it for Digital TV

Peps1ru1es92

they sell little boxes at radioshack that accomplish this.
Hey people, TRG still exists. Come join the meh-ness.

http://trgforums.servegame.com

MarioMania

I'm waiting for 133 MHz to peplay to this, He know's about this

MarioMania

I know that

Would a Booster work on a Indoor Antanna

nintendodork

Quote from: MarioMania on February 14, 2010, 09:40:26 pm
I'm waiting for 133 MHz to peplay to this, He know's about this
You're making it look like you think 133MHz is the only one who knows anything about electronics here, and that's very untrue.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

UglyJoe

Are you planning on boosting the signal before broadcasting it?  Or are you planning on boosting the signal after you receive it?

I have a feeling the former would distort the signal too much (since the picture coming out of your DirectTV box is going to be pretty strong already), but who knows.  The latter will probably work as long as you get *some* picture without it (these are the boxes you can buy at Radioshack).

133MHz

Yup, that one won't work. It's specifically designed for satellite dish antennas with very long cable runs, as UglyJoe said it won't do anything at all if your DirecTV already looks fine. Besides it serves a completely different purpose (digital signals).

You need one of these:

Known as CATV distribution amplifier. $10 tops at your nearest Home Depot or similar. Hook up the RF out from your video game console or DirecTV box into the IN port of the amplifier (which strangely isn't labeled on the picture above) and plug in your antenna into the OUT port, plug the amplifier into a wall outlet and presto!. The higher the gain in dB, the stronger the output signal will be.

Side note: I've got one of these

It's called a Video Sender, model number UT-66. It takes 12V DC from a wall wart and a standard RCA AV input, and it broadcasts whatever you feed it into analog TV Channel 12 using its built in antenna. Range its pretty good, enough to cover a large house without problems. I presume you can increase the coverage by replacing the built in antenna with a larger one.

I've got no idea where to get one or how much does it cost (I found mine on a box of junk at my aunt's house more than 7 years ago). Found one on ebay but it's in the UK (link)

The Video Sender would be the best option if you want a 100% hassle free homebrew TV station, but if you can't get your hands on one, the CATV signal amplifier + indoor antenna should suffice for the same purpose. Once again, this is from personal experience, YMMV.

MarioMania

Thanks guys

I'm not going to Radio Shack for my needs, to expensive there

I might end up buying the $6 anyways. ABC Family been breaking up & sometime No Signal,even when it's a nice day out...

All the Channels are fine

Peps1ru1es92

You need to either tighten your cables, or have your dish repointed. They did it for me for free after a snowstorm.
Hey people, TRG still exists. Come join the meh-ness.

http://trgforums.servegame.com