Quick question: Disk System on Famiclone?

Started by nothing02, January 14, 2010, 06:25:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nothing02

Anybody tried this before? Can you use a Disk System on a Famiclone??

133MHz

Depends on the Famiclone. Based on my personal experience:

• It works perfectly, no problems whatsoever

• It boots up, but it won't load any disks, displaying ERR. 21 or ERR. 27

• Black screen or severe graphical glitches

• Destruction of the Famiclone's voltage regulator (yes, I've seen this happen)

I've experienced every one of these outcomes in different Famiclones. The last one happened on an extremely cheap Famiclone that had a very crude zener diode + transistor circuit instead of a real 7805 voltage regulator. The FDS demands a higher power draw from the system which the crude zener regulator couldn't handle and thus died a few seconds later. Fortunately no further damage was done and placing a proper 7805 brought the clone back to life.

In conclusion, there's no definite answer. You've got to try it. It might work, it might not.

nothing02

Thanks... I think I may avoid that. :)

I am China where Famiclones are a dime a dozen but the real thing is hard to come by. Making matters worse, I'd need a PAL version. Seems like maybe I won't be playing FDS. :(

133MHz

If Famiclones are a dime a dozen, you can just keep trying until you find one that works, don't you think? :P

Also the NTSC vs PAL issue shouldn't affect the FDS, since it behaves like an ordinary game cartridge as far as the system is concerned.