Japanese guide to turn FDS images into roms for carts

Started by nensondubois, January 19, 2010, 07:59:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nensondubois

http://bakutendo.blog87.fc2.com/blog-entry-157.html

The author made a Super Mario Bros. 2 cart successfully and says that it should work on all games, even bankswitching games. There will be no FDS audio though. :'(

133MHz

As far as my (limited) understanding of Japanese goes, he just burned Loopy's MMC3 hack of SMB2j into EPROMs and put those on a MMC3 cart. No mention on how the software hack was done, or how to apply it to other games.

I'm kinda sleepy and busy right now so I could be wrong, though.

nensondubois

Go back to sleep. You don't know jack. Someone at digitpress recently got Clu Clu Land D working... on a cart. He didn't mention saving though.

133MHz

michaelthegreat

Quote from: nensondubois on January 19, 2010, 10:41:31 am
Go back to sleep. You don't know jack. Someone at digitpress recently got Clu Clu Land D working... on a cart. He didn't mention saving though.

Was this a failed attempt at being funny? It looks like the link removed the patch with a reference to loopy so that points to 133 being right... And where do you find that on digitpress? I don't seen anything like that...

nensondubois

You need FDS Explorer but that wasn't mentioned in the guide at all. Maybe I have the wrong guide or it isn't updated. You can't find it? ??? Keep searching. It happened.

UglyJoe

How about you post a link to the thread where he made a cart of Clu Clu Land D?  I can't find a reference to it either, and the thread at digitpress regarding the bakutendo article isn't very enlightening.

nensondubois

I tried searhing Clu Clu Land D but I got this
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/search.php?do=process
I do remember seeing it about a month ago.

UglyJoe

Hmm...well, Clu Clu Land D was available on the GC Animal Crossing.  It's possible that someone extracted the rom from there and simply burned it onto a cart like you would any other mapper 0 rom.

nensondubois

Well, not unless they cracked the emulation from Animal Crossing since Animal Crossing is an emulated port to the Gamecube version of the original Japanese N64 version. It would seem like it would be hell to do that.

UglyJoe

I would imagine it's not that complicated.  The NES rom is going to have to be sitting unencrypted in memory in order for it to be played.  All they probably had to do was load up AC in a GC emulator, bring up the NES game, save a memory dump, and then extract the rom from there.

nensondubois

I doubt anyone went through the trouble setting up GCNrd just to get a memory dump of a NES rom dump and then shift through the extra data in the memory dump the extract it. I highly doubt it. The guide and FDS explorer is a much simpler method to use and the rom is readily available besides Clu Clu Land D is less than 32K PRG and a 8K CHR-file so you wouldn't have to do much to get it onto a cat.

nintendodork

Quote from: nensondubois on January 20, 2010, 08:44:17 am
I doubt anyone went through the trouble setting up GCNrd just to get a memory dump of a NES rom dump and then shift through the extra data in the memory dump the extract it. I highly doubt it.
Why? ::) I'm sure someone has gone farther than that to extract/dump a ROM of something equally as unimportant.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

Jedi Master Baiter

The guide and FDS explorer is a much simpler method to use

I need to see a ROM-based VS ExciteBike or this isn't true.

nensondubois

Quote from: nintendodork on January 20, 2010, 09:37:16 am
I doubt anyone went through the trouble setting up GCNrd just to get a memory dump of a NES rom dump and then shift through the extra data in the memory dump the extract it. I highly doubt it.
Why? ::) I'm sure someone has gone farther than that to extract/dump a ROM of something equally as unimportant.

It just seems like going an extra step to do something you could do in one less step.