Japanese guide to turn FDS images into roms for carts

Started by nensondubois, January 19, 2010, 07:59:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

UglyJoe

Either method would work, I suppose.  I guess I wrote all of that because I don't know what the "guide and FDS explorer" method is.  For all I know, setting up FDS explorer could just as difficult as getting a GC emulator to work.  Care to elaborate?

nensondubois

With FDS explorer you can take a FDS image and make it an Ines image then burn it to a cart with limitations following the guide . But you'll need an eprom burner and copynes. You'll wind up spending more money on tools for the GCN method.

133MHz

From FDSExplorer 1.5b's README file (emphasis mine):

Save as NES
------------------
FDS Explorer can now convert FDS disks to .NES fileformat. However it's quite restricted. FDSExplorer examines the current disk-side and check it if properly convert to a .NES file. The conditions are that the disc must have a 32K PRG-file and a 8K CHR-file. If so, the file is exported with a NES header.
Notice that FDS Explorer only exports the data to a .NES file. You manually have to change the mapper-number and perhaps "hack" the ROM to make it run on NES-emulators.
Ideas on how to enhance this feature in the future is very welcome.

This is amazing. I want to try it on some of my FDS images just to see how good it is.