What got you into famicom?

Started by MS-DOS4, January 23, 2010, 07:52:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamingnoctis

I like the design of the Famicom and the Twin Fami, as well as the smaller size of the carts. A lot of it comes down to the aesthetics which, while not mind blowing or anything, are still interesting to me. That, and some of the more interesting Japanese exclusives.

modeltfordman

I discovered a sequel to Super Mario Bros, and I was hooked on the fds from there. I had to have my favorite games that they made for it. I was also drawn to the media. I haven't used a floppy disk in ages and thought how cool it would be to have a piece of history. I also could not pass up the chance to play doki doki panic!.

C64c

I'm literally brand new to this scene. I wanted to get into the 8-bit Nintendo world after collecting what I needed for my 16bit systems.
Currently only own Mario 3 and Robocop 2 but on the look out for other titles and wanting to get an FDS too.

ZBomber

The Legend of Zelda is my favorite video game series, and I really wanted to experience the original Japanese version. Just got my Famicom a couple of days ago... but of course my LOZ disk doesn't seem to work after the file select screen.  :'(

HeatSeeker

It's much cheaper. It's 60hz. And I wanted a Twin Famicom. Also, I'm learning Japanese.
ツインファミコン

BossHoss

I think I can trace back what got me in to famicom to one source: Chrontendo.  Dr. Sparkle's seminal chrongaming series tipped me off to just how many unique, interesting games were famicom exclusive.  That's when I started hunting the games down and found out that many were able to be had very affordably (especially if you buy from senseiman).  I think the first two famicom games I bought were Metro Cross and King Kong 2, followed by Devil World and Mighty Final Fight.  Good times.

Quote from: ZBomber on April 17, 2016, 10:38:28 pm
The Legend of Zelda is my favorite video game series, and I really wanted to experience the original Japanese version. Just got my Famicom a couple of days ago... but of course my LOZ disk doesn't seem to work after the file select screen.  :'(

You might want to pick up the famicom cart release of LOZ.  All the Japanese experience (including mic support) without the load times and unreliability.

HummerTeam1001

Famiclones are cheaper than official NES systems so I got a famiclone instead of an NES.

TheProGamer1991

Famicom Dojo!  8) The First Season, to be more specific.

nusilver

Quote from: TheProGamer1991 on July 10, 2016, 11:22:48 am
Famicom Dojo!  8) The First Season, to be more specific.

Very likely it was this, plus a combination of what were unaffordable NES prices for me at this time, that got me into Famicom, too. Picked up a couple of great FC exclusives and some common games to kickstart my collection, my wife picked up an AN-505RD Twin Famicom Turbo, and I never looked back.

Well, except to Darkwing Duck. I'd love it if someone gave me a copy of that stupid game already. :)

FamiJoker

Learned about the uncensored games in Japan, like "Hitler Come To Life". I was mesmerized ever since. To think that Nintendo released games with religious images, it was what hooked me. I only collect Famicom/FDS games and accessories now. :gamer:

CantUseUnderScores

I was really into bootleg carts, combined with the fact that I had a Famicom cart for collecting. These two got me into Famicom nearly a month ago, and it's going strong still. I might invest in getting an AV modded Famicom  or AV Famicom. Hopefull AV mod, so I can record narration using the II controller  ;D
3DS FC - 1032 1548 7905 (Nark)
NNID - Pikachu5747/TiNsLeY799
YT - Musican67557

crystal

For the most part, not the console itself, but the games available for it that weren't released on the western market. Also, a lot of the games that did get a North American release were censored due to NoA's policies, or modified to the point it felt like something completely different. I prefer to play the original, unedited/unfiltered version of things instead.

Arkanix38

Expense of NES games and consoles in Australia, was just cheaper to buy Japanese carts and import them

famifan

August 29, 2016, 05:10:52 am #148 Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 04:22:19 am by famifan
Quote from: TheProGamer1991 on July 10, 2016, 11:22:48 am
Famicom Dojo!  8) The First Season, to be more specific.

I second that! Awesome show. I even purchased the dvd to support guys.

Also, the rest of points which got me into famicom:

• my poor soldering skills

• normal 60Hz speed

• design

• affordable costs

• variety of accessories: basic + keyboard, disk system, data recorder, etc.

ombre noire

1. The design and the size of the Famicom (i'm a fan great PC-Engine fan so it helped ;) )
2. The software catalog, all the great titles from the 80's are on it !!
3. The cartridges, these are colorfull and well designed !!
just an old retrogamer !!  (^_^)