What got you into famicom?

Started by MS-DOS4, January 23, 2010, 07:52:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TSDXIII

Here in Russia we had unlicensed but very popular famiclone called Dendy. Majority of games were pirated Famicom-like cartridges manufactured in Asia.
Multicards contained Nuts & Milk, Popeye, Japanese Ice Climbers (one with seals), Dig Dug, Antarctic Adventure, Circus Charlie, Wild Gunman. I also do remember playing Hi no Tori and trying to play a Saint Seiya game.
Please don't get the impression that some pesky Russky tries to take a dump on your childhood but EU/US NES was kinda underwhelming. It looked like a tombstone but was all over the internet in mid-2000s, while my favorite games like Adventure Island 4 (Takahashi meijin no bouken jima 4) and Ganbare Goemon were left in obscurity.
Thanks to emulation I discovered some new Famicom stuff like Mother, Megami Tensei, Sweet Home, Nekketsu series. Early games like Challenger and Konami's Gorilla Fist Massacre Game (King Kong 2).
And I'm probably missing a lot.

Here's some points that I like about Famicom the most:

- Aside nondetachable controllers - much more interesting hardware and accessories
- Japanese obscurities and overall bigger library of games
- "Non-castrated" versions of games like Zelda 2, Contra, Akumajouvania 3
- DISK SYSTEM ;D
- Looks and aesthetics of the system

Elrinth

Basically I love video game music, which made me get into Famicom collecting. The expansion audio and vast library of games never seen western releases.  :diskkun:  :bub:

I also made a video showing off how I got into Famicom collecting and I show off my favourite loose famicom carts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXpmcRZRA64

UglyJoe

Quote from: Elrinth on November 09, 2020, 12:28:37 amI also made a video showing off how I got into Famicom collecting and I show off my favourite loose famicom carts:

I love your King Kong II description: "An okay, top-down, bash the shit out of the military game" ;D

Tetouani85

Quote from: Elrinth on November 09, 2020, 12:28:37 amBasically I love video game music, which made me get into Famicom collecting. The expansion audio and vast library of games never seen western releases.  :diskkun:  :bub:

I also made a video showing off how I got into Famicom collecting and I show off my favourite loose famicom carts:

i love the way you compared the two castlevania 3 versions.

Elrinth

doesitmatter

I was always interested in gaming as a whole and the Famicom looked so broad in terms of game types/genres but I'm now back into it as I'm old and I'm reliving what I couldnt have. As child there was no chance because as a family, we couldnt afford gaming/consoles and that continued (because I left home many years ago and so couldnt ask for consoles as presents) until just recently (4 years ago), when I got a proper job and saved some cash!

Two days ago, I bought a Famicom on ebay and this site has helped me no end to understand what I'm about to get myself into! So thanks for that for smart/complicated sorts! Now I'm considering my options to get it to work in the UK and PAL and I'm pretty sure the £5 CRT I bought isn't going to cut it, so I need to consider my options (AV mod, NTSC VCR).
Expect stupid questions. Apologies in advance.

Sentientprism

The aesthetic of it. I always found the NES a little boring, looks wise, but as soon as I saw the famicom I fell in love
Cruising for a Bruising

ID415

Emulation for me and looking for RPG games. I always liked the look of Famicom RPG's and I'm a big fan of English translations of Famicom games. RPG's led me to liking other Famicom games and I bought my first Famicom console with a multi cart online a few years ago and I've been buying them ever since.

StripeFruit

Growing up, my dad dealt in arcade cabinets and vending, and we really only got new things once they were old to everyone else, so that pretty much laid the ground work for my love of retro gaming.

I collect a little bit of everything, but I especially love the weird stuff. Bootlegs, Homebrew, and games that never made it to the US all particularly interest me, so my favorite systems to collect for tend to be the NES and SNES, which inevitably led me to the Famicom and Super Famicom. :D

I also attend college for programming and game design, so the idea that I can build a game and play it on a physical console is like a dream to me.

GraveyardDuck

I was intrigued by the Famicom ever since I read the DQ3 launch article in NP all those years ago. It just had a certain air of mystery about it, games I knew and loved on nes were slightly different on famicom, sounds in Metroid and Zelda, CV3, little things that added up to a similar but new experience in 8 bit gaming.