What got you into famicom?

Started by MS-DOS4, January 23, 2010, 07:52:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Elrinth

Basically I love video game music, which made me get into Famicom collecting. The expansion audio and vast library of games never seen western releases.  :diskkun:  :bub:

I also made a video showing off how I got into Famicom collecting and I show off my favourite loose famicom carts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXpmcRZRA64

UglyJoe

Quote from: Elrinth on November 09, 2020, 12:28:37 amI also made a video showing off how I got into Famicom collecting and I show off my favourite loose famicom carts:

I love your King Kong II description: "An okay, top-down, bash the shit out of the military game" ;D

Tetouani85

Quote from: Elrinth on November 09, 2020, 12:28:37 amBasically I love video game music, which made me get into Famicom collecting. The expansion audio and vast library of games never seen western releases.  :diskkun:  :bub:

I also made a video showing off how I got into Famicom collecting and I show off my favourite loose famicom carts:

i love the way you compared the two castlevania 3 versions.

Elrinth

doesitmatter

I was always interested in gaming as a whole and the Famicom looked so broad in terms of game types/genres but I'm now back into it as I'm old and I'm reliving what I couldnt have. As child there was no chance because as a family, we couldnt afford gaming/consoles and that continued (because I left home many years ago and so couldnt ask for consoles as presents) until just recently (4 years ago), when I got a proper job and saved some cash!

Two days ago, I bought a Famicom on ebay and this site has helped me no end to understand what I'm about to get myself into! So thanks for that for smart/complicated sorts! Now I'm considering my options to get it to work in the UK and PAL and I'm pretty sure the £5 CRT I bought isn't going to cut it, so I need to consider my options (AV mod, NTSC VCR).
Expect stupid questions. Apologies in advance.

Sentientprism

The aesthetic of it. I always found the NES a little boring, looks wise, but as soon as I saw the famicom I fell in love
Anyone remember the name of that weird Japanese NES?

ID415

Emulation for me and looking for RPG games. I always liked the look of Famicom RPG's and I'm a big fan of English translations of Famicom games. RPG's led me to liking other Famicom games and I bought my first Famicom console with a multi cart online a few years ago and I've been buying them ever since.

StripeFruit

Growing up, my dad dealt in arcade cabinets and vending, and we really only got new things once they were old to everyone else, so that pretty much laid the ground work for my love of retro gaming.

I collect a little bit of everything, but I especially love the weird stuff. Bootlegs, Homebrew, and games that never made it to the US all particularly interest me, so my favorite systems to collect for tend to be the NES and SNES, which inevitably led me to the Famicom and Super Famicom. :D

I also attend college for programming and game design, so the idea that I can build a game and play it on a physical console is like a dream to me.

GraveyardDuck

I was intrigued by the Famicom ever since I read the DQ3 launch article in NP all those years ago. It just had a certain air of mystery about it, games I knew and loved on nes were slightly different on famicom, sounds in Metroid and Zelda, CV3, little things that added up to a similar but new experience in 8 bit gaming.

Jase

As I mentioned in my introductory post, Nintendo have been my chief favourites when it comes to home gaming: as is demonstrated by the ownership of a SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii and Wii-U. I've always enjoyed NES titles and there's a few in particular that I've played via emulation. Speaking of which, I have a stack of NES/Famicom VC games on my PAL Wii but some of the Famicom and NTSC NES ones don't work, despite endless fiddling with Homebrew loaders.

Lately I've been eager to check out previously unexplored machines and the AV Famicom fit the bill - especially given its Japan only status, which appeals to my interest in anything that's "alternative" and plus, I'll get to play the games that wouldn't work on my Wii. :)

Saab93

What got me into Famicoms where:
-Famicom Disk System
-Oddity in the U.S.
-Other Peripherals
-Games
And that is just to name a few. And now i own two working Famicoms!

Famicom.In.My.Blood

What got me into Famicom ?

The design (never liked the NES look, original one or Toploader), the superior version of games (expansion sound and uncensored), the more advantageous Famicom to NES conversion, and the only all-in-one model which exists, the Twin Famicom.

richieboothie

My first console was an NES, which I received in 1989. Back then, it was super difficult to import this stuff from Japan, and there were so many games I read about in the many game magazines that I read that just looked amazing. I couldn't get my hands on them and was always frustrated. I recently found myself with a bunch of free time and started collecting the games and consoles I either had as a kid or always wanted but couldn't talk my parents into getting for me back in the early 90's. Once it dawned on me over the last week that the japanese consoles were pretty readily available, I went on the hung for a famicom. I luckily found one, complete in box and in fantastic shape. Also luckily, the price hasn't skyrocketed yet so I am so happy to say I now own one.

mariosisters

May 19, 2022, 11:40:40 am #208 Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 01:34:15 pm by mariosisters
passion for 8bit era! games were just simple and well made, with efficient level design, and famicom have so many games in that way, nintendo has always been careful to little details, and many studio at time put the same exigencies (capcom and konami for instance) in their productions. besides, famicom games are often better than their nes equivalent.

Mastercj

What got me to famicom well that´s a good question:
When i was like 16 years old i bought my NES obyously second handle and i wanted to learn more about the NES and to my surprise when i was Researching i discovered the famicom the japanese NES, the additional sound chips the disk System, ETC. I get obsess to get the famicom but i didn´t want to imported. and On that day i swear to one day find an original famicom in my country When i was 21 years i found My oportunitty to buy one with one original game Soccer i bought and when it arrive i was blown away because i got in my hands my original Famicom.

P.S: Originally i was going to buy someday a Disk System but when my famicom arrived i kind a change my mind so i choose to in the future buy an Everydrive N8 pro.